Bulletproof Coffee Helpp

(Ashley) #1

So I know I need to up my fat intake. I have been looking into bulletproof coffee. My question is, is this okay for losing weight? Or is this more once you’ve hit your goal weight type implementation. I’m reading a lot of conflicting back and forth answers. Does anyone do it and it helps with weight loss ( I’m not looking for faster, just to know I’m not hindering myself)

(LeeAnn Brooks) #2

It’s fine for weight loss. Many people use it until they are fat adapted, then ditch it once they start fasting. Ultimately you’ll probably want to get more of your macros from real food, but it’s a good way to get you started.

(Katie) #3

Adding fat to coffee is one way to up your fat intake. You can also eat fatier cuts of meat and fatty cheese. I believe that it is all the same, given that they are healthy sources of fats.

There is a debate in the ketogenic coummunity of whether someone who wants to lose body fat should consume dietary fat or not. Especially since you are not looking for a quick loss, but more of a sustainable way of eating, I think that you can still stick to a high percentage of fat. The thing that would change is overall calories, but that is once you are fat adapted and know your keto way of eating well. Like others suggest, you can then look into fasting protocols too.

(Joe) #4

I try to avoid it now. I used to start a fast with it. My problem is I now prefer it to my black coffee! Its so creamy and full of goodness! No idea on its affect on my weight loss but I’ve gone down to 160 from 190 with drinking it.

(Ashley) #5

I’m fat adapted but know I need a bit more fat in my diet. I’ll have to consider and decide if it’s good idea for me. I want to incorporate fasting too more. I was thinking of using it then fasting for 20-24 hours at a time, then eating then fasting again.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #6

Im on day 24, and I’ve had a BPC every day and still lost almost 13 pounds. Like @Anniegirl9 said, most people ditch it when they are fat adapted which is what I also plan to do. When we are fat adapted we want to be burning our stored fat, not the extra fat within our diet, is my understanding.

(Ashley) #7

See I know I’m fat adapted, just now I don’t know how much fat I should be eating.

(Ron) #8

Ash,
Watch this, he explains about intakes.

(Tori) #9

Whats your secret?!?!? I have been keto for 3 weeks now and have only lost 4 lbs. ( Barely!) Any helpful tips you have learned?

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #10

I have been quite strict but also very simple.
Ie; the BPC every morning, it’s so easy and filling, I don’t even think about breakfast at all anymore, which has made the transition into intermittent fasting a bit easier.

If you have only lost 4lbs, what was your starting weight? If you do not have a lot to lose to begin with, the weight loss will be slow.

Like I said, keeping it simple; protein and fat only for both lunch and dinner. My weight loss is not linear, it has gone up and down over the past few weeks.

What do your macros look like? Are you eating 70/25/5?

(Pete A) #11

I’ve drank BPC for months and months with steady weight loss, however measure and track and include what I add in my macros, be it coconut oil, butter, chocolate, HWC.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

The science is actually pretty clear: Skimping on calories causes your body to lower your metabolic rate to accommodate the lower caloric intake. It also hangs on to its fat store, so that it can keep you going through the famine. Once the famine is over, and your body is assured of abundant calories again, it will speed up the metabolic rate and start metabolizing fat—as long as carbohydrates in the diet are not stimulating insulin production and telling the body to keep on storing it.

This is why we always tell you, over and over again, to “eat fat to satiety.” Fat has over twice the calories of carbohydrate and protein, so you need less of it to get the same amount of energy, and it hardly stimulates insulin production at all, so you can eat enough to meet your body’s energy needs without triggering the body’s fat-storage mechanism. Lastly, you body knows better than you do how many calories it needs, so eating until you’re no longer hungry is the way to let it tell you it has enough.

Please be aware that a well-formulated ketogenic diet is not a weight-loss diet per se, but rather a weight-normalization diet. If you have been skimping on calories for a long time, you may find yourself putting on lean muscle mass at the same time as you are burning off the excess fat. (The body also sometimes prioritizes restoring metabolic health over fat loss, as well.)

(Ashley) #13

Interesting. I been doing the coffee and haven’t noticed any downside. Just curbs my appetite while allowing some fat in, I do avoid it though if I’m not hungry.

(Katie) #14

I gained weight when I started keto; I was unhealthily low before.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #15

Ah, so you were coming from the other side of the spectrum! These days, in the U.S., it’s so easy to forget that’s even possible. Which is so SAD. :grin:

(I’ll just show myself out, shall I?)

(Jane Reed) #16

From time to time I realize my meal did not have enough fat…an hour after eating I find myself in the kitchen and looking in the fridge. On these occasions I’ll make myself a bulletproof cocoa. Works like a charm.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #17

How do you make a BP Cocoa?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #18

I am confused on whether BPC is allowed while EF. I read an article that said no liquids over 50 calories, but BPC easily has more than that. Yet comments through various threads sound like people do use BPC to get through fasts.

I don’t do it when I IF because it seems like a mini meal to me, at 250 calories. Or at least a significant snack, and that seems contrary to IF.

(Jane Reed) #19

Bulletproof cocoa:

6-8 ounces almond milk
2 ounces cream
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
a drop of vanilla extract
sweetener to taste (approx. 1/2 teaspoon erythritol)

Heat all in a glass jar in microwave. Use a stick blender to mix and emulsify the fat. Heat a bit more to your desired temp.

N.b.–amounts are approximate. Small changes won’t harm the result. Make it to your own taste. I can sip on this over the space of an hour…very satisfying.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #20

Can’t wait to make this tomorrow.