Broth on a fast?

(Kellyn ) #41

when using frozen bone broth for fasting. How does that work? Do you put a frozen cube in the microwave and drink it?

(KCKO, KCFO) #42

I would personally add a slight bit of water to that cube in the microwave.

My dh makes my bone broth using chicken backs that he gets for next to nothing at the local Krogers. Make a great broth.

(Asha Asha) #44

that is totally crazy comment saying that Glutamic acid and MSG is the same is outrageous and totally misleading MSG is artificially made brain stimulant(excitotoxin) and glutamic acid is naturally occurring compound found in ripen vegetables and mothers milk. Manufacturers make hydrolyzed soy protein using a process that involves harsh artificial chemicals. The hydrolysis process boils a vat of acid such as sulfuric acid and neutralizes the resulting solution in caustic soda. The byproduct or sludge scraped off the vat and allowed to dry is monosodium glutamate.
If you want to give health advice to people for the sake of other please first educate yourself.

Can you point me to the part where you are saying I made this comment?

MSG occurs naturally in many foods, such as tomatoes and cheeses. People around the world have eaten glutamate-rich foods throughout history. For example, a historical dish in the Asian community is a glutamate-rich seaweed broth. In 1908, a Japanese professor named Kikunae Ikeda was able to extract glutamate from this broth and determined that glutamate provided the savory taste to the soup. Professor Ikeda then filed a patent to produce MSG and commercial production started the following year. Today, instead of extracting and crystallizing MSG from seaweed broth, MSG is produced by the fermentation of starch, sugar beets, sugar cane or molasses. This fermentation process is similar to that used to make yogurt, vinegar and wine. https://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/FoodAdditivesIngredients/ucm328728.htm

(Asha Asha) #47

you said it here " Yes, they contain msg, but so does food cooked at home develop substantial quantity of msg."
no home cooked food does not contain MSG(unless you add soy sauce with aded MSG or Cubes with MSG) it contains Glutamic Acid and those are two diametrically different things.

(Asha Asha) #48

no it certainly does not occur naturally what occur naturally is glutamic acid, I know the history of MSG and have basic understanding of chemistry so no need to quote this for me. MSG is excitotoxin and excitotoxins damage your brain glutamic acid exist in completely different form as MSG. More about them here https://experiencelife.com/article/excitotoxins/

From the link you provided:

Small amounts of MSG are found naturally in many common foods such as seaweed, mushrooms, whole grains, carrots, meat, nuts and cheese. In its natural state, however, MSG is slowly assimilated by the human body and broken down so that the levels of concentration are kept low. The MSG in processed foods, on the other hand, is highly concentrated. And when people eat these foods, says Blaylock, they unwittingly bombard their brain cells with excitotoxins in large enough quantities to cause real trouble.

I really don’t want to quibble about what is or is not found in nature. It looks to me like some of the issues with (usually) soy derived MSG is the D-isomer D-glutamic acid, whereas the current fermentaion process used produces the L- isomer.

Fermentation allows the isolation of L-glutamate to be a simple process because the cells produce the L-isomer. To improve MSG purity, a new method for purifying L-glutamic acid crystals was developed, which uses recrystallization of the β-form (17) and subsequent conversion to MSG. http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/90/3/728S.long

That said, I have an MSG sensitivity myself (headaches, palpitations) so I just avoid it in the concentrated form.

Perhaps @bokkiedog can do some more sciencing on this one?

(Nick) #50

Have you done a blind test of this? I always do that to confirm that I’m not suffering from the nocebo effect. I’ve found, through such tests, that I am easy to fool! Maybe you are too :wink:

Good idea. I could try a store bought chicken broth, one with and one without MSG.

Any input regarding the Glutamic Acid vs MSG debate?

I also get the headaches and heart palpitations from MSG.

Anyone ever seen something designed to be “healthy bouillon cubes”? I know you can’t beat real bone broth but there has to be a way to make something moderately healthy is powder form for those desperate times.

Why not just do the water only fast? are you afraid something might happen? I have done 3-day fasts before I learned about Keto, which is what then led me to discover Keto WOE. I wasn’t sure at first what would happen, I think my main concern was that I would pass out or it would cause some sort of major health issue which I really didn’t want/need. But I bit the bullet and tried the 72 hours fast…the first one I did I actually used bone broth (the bone broth I used was LenoLife all nature beef bone broth K cups - YES, I said K-CUPS) truly convenient!
My plan was that if I started to feel lightheaded and jittery, I would sip the bone broth…I lost 3 kilograms during that first fast. Nothing really BAD happened to me, so the second fast I went PURE WATER…nothing but H2O. The only thing I didn’t like is when my tongue turned white! disgusting! even scrapping it didn’t help! and the funky breath! like a metallic smell. YUK
the other issue I had was the squirts. I lost a total of 4.5 kilograms on the second fast which was a week later…so overall, I think my first two fasts were successful either way (one with bone broth, the other with nothing but water) I occasionally do water fasts now just for the detoxing effect and the ability to give my liver a break and it also helped fix my metabolic issues (I believe my leptin receptors were falling down on the job) because the biggest hurdle for me with water fasting and keto WOE was overcoming the INTENSE hunger.
You can also do IF (intermittent fasting) which is that you eat during an 8-hour window, then do not eat during the next 16 hrs. I find that very easy to do, especially now that I feel I am fat adapted.

(Ethan) #55

My worry with water-only fast is nutrients. I have a congenital heart condition that I take medication for. I don’t want to upset the Potassium or Magnesium balances in my body too much. I am on a 72h fast now, but I plan to have about 4 or 5 cups of bone broth, and I take vitamins to be sure I get some minerals at least. I think that amount is small enough to barely register.

(Taryn A Ryan) #56

Daisy, the reason the difference is important is because some people are using bone broth for GAPS diet. They are using it to heal their bodies from Autoimmune diseases. My husband had ulcerative Colitis for decades, getting infusions of immune suppressing chemicals every five weeks. He was bleeding, cramping, afraid to leave the house for fear his colitis would act up. Until we found GAPS diet and bone broth. If you are using it to heal your gut, IT MUST BE REAL BONE BROTH. And that is true for any others that want to use it to end their suffering. They need the collagen and gelatin from the long cooking times of BONES. So for you to say “tomato-tomahto” “if it’s got bones in it, it’s bone broth!” You’re dead Wrong and putting information like that out there can be super detrimental to those who need to make the bone broth correctly in order extract the necessary nutrients needed to heal the gut. So please stop saying that and get your information straight before you make people sick who need to get better. You’re wrong.

Gosh this was a while ago. Surely real bone broth and real stock are both bones cooked in water for a long period of time. Maybe I have just always made stock like you make broth or maybe it is a Brit translation thing. I cook bones for a long period of time in water - everything melts and pretty well breaks down. Does that suffice?

(Patrick John) #58

I use the Wyler’s cubes, $2 for 25 cubes at Walmart. 5 calories, no fat, no protein. Chicken with herbs and spices has 750 mg of sodium with less than 1g carbs, no sugar. The Beef has 960 mg of sodium, with no carbs at all. You always want to take potassium when you’re consuming sodium on a fast. I take 1/4 tsp. of cream of tartar powder. Just don’t mix it with the broth, it will change the taste.

(Alyce skelton) #59

Thank you, you answered my question. How much is the bull Jan do you actually drink