Broth on a fast?

If you’ve got bones in it then it is bone broth!

No, it’s not unusual for broth, or stock, to contain some bones (stock in fact should have a good amount of bones). Having any amount of bones doesn’t magically make it bone broth (that’s not what bone broth is). Bone broth, however, has a higher proportion of bones to meat. Broth is mostly meat, with a little bones. Bone broth is mostly bones, with a little meat (excluding water content). The results are different as the products are different. Considering how much more expensive bone broth is than broth, I’d personally be very upset if I bought something labeled bone broth and found out it was just “both that had some bones in it” like I’d expect of most broths.

Just because there are eggs in a salad doesn’t make it an egg salad.

Okey dokey, whatever! You can win if it makes you happy :wink:

It’s not about winning, it’s about correct information. We aren’t talking about opinions here, we are talking about definitions of things. If you have some real argument to show that my claims are wrong, please do provide, because I’d rather not continue holding false information.

But here, this is the best resource I’ve ever seen for describing the differences between broth, stock and bone broth:
The Ultimate Guide to Bone Broth

Broth, stock, and bone broth… is there a difference? All use water, meat and/or bones, and usually a combination of veggies and seasonings. A pot full of this mixture simmers for a varying amount of time, then solids are strained out using a fine sieve.

Broth is made with meat and can contain a small amount of bones simmered for a short period of time – 45 minutes to 2 hours. It is high in protein and results in a watery consistency and mellow flavor.
Stock is made with bones and can contain a small amount of meat simmered for a moderate time – 3 to 4 hours. Stock is rich in minerals and gelatin.
Bone Broth is made with bones and can contain a small amount of meat simmered for a very long period of time – usually 24 minimum. It often results in a jello-like consistency, rich in amino acids, gelatin, and collagen.

Totally. Anything labelled the Ultimate Guide is the gold standard.

The content is what matters, and the content is solid. If can find any real reason the description provided isn’t accurate, I’d be happy to hear it.

From what I can see, a lot comes down to the consistency achieved at the end. I have always got that regardless of the ratio of contents. But I am no michelin chef and TBH I am not really that bothered. Like I say, I just call it stock anyway so all good with me as long as it tastes great.

It comes down to several factors, including what is actually in the thing and the proportions. The consistency at the end can vary, even for what is classified the same, so is not the primary criteria, but it is something likely to result from the differences and may play into their respective uses and treatment.

Stock is essentially the middle ground on a number of factors.

There’s no argument here about taste or which one should make or use (make what you like, all have benefits). It’s just a matter of using the right terms for what is being talked about. If there is no difference between what is called broth, stock or bone broth, then it’s useless to have those words. If we decide it doesn’t matter and we’ll just use all the words interchangeably, we’ve only degraded language and harmed communication. Beside that, if I happen to sell someone broth that’s just been cooked a few extra hours at the usual price of bone broth, I haven’t helped them, I’ve scammed them.

(betsy.rome) #29

I’m guessing the diff between broth, stock, and bone broth - for keto - is in the nutritional content. If you’re using it for fasting, and don’t want to exceed the minimal allowable protein acc. to Dr. Fung’s protocols, sounds like you want bone broth.

If you’re making your own, who knows how much protein is in that cuppa bone broth. Depends on the concentration, what kind of bones, bone: meat ratio, etc.

(Bre) #30

Thanks for posting this question as I have been trying to find the same answer since early this morning.

(Jennifer) #31

One of the main reasons I fast is to get the benefits of autophagy. Autophagy shuts down when you eat protein. I don’t want it to shut down, so I don’t eat it. water, tea, and salt - that’s it. If I need “something” I will eat a spoonful of coconut oil.

(What The Fast?!) #32

I made bone broth for the first time this week. I bought some beef bones and a piece of oxtail, threw it in the instant pot with a bunch of vegetables, garlic, and some ACV. I did high pressure for 120 minutes then took out all the vegetables and bones and put it tupperware in the fridge. The next day, the consistency was definitely that of gelatin. …Just checking, is that normal?

Also, I ate some of the meat and the connective tissue; it was super tender…someone said it had no nutritional value - not sure if that’s true?

(G. Andrew Duthie) #33

No idea, but when I make broth in the IP using beef soup bones, I definitely eat the meat…just because it’s tasty. :slight_smile:

(What The Fast?!) #34

Is the texture like jello when you refrigerate it?

(G. Andrew Duthie) #35

Depends. Sometimes yes, but I’ve had batches that didn’t fully gel, and I’m sure they’re fine. I may have used more water in that case.

I don’t consider it a failure if the broth isn’t gelled in the fridge, but it’s a good indication that you have plenty of collagen in the broth.

(What The Fast?!) #36

oh great! I wasn’t sure if it was supposed to be like that, good to know. :slight_smile: I have NO idea what the protein/fat content is, but I’m going to use it during this fast if I feel like I need something. :smiley:

(G. Andrew Duthie) #37

Reasonable plan. Would recommend that you try a half a cup when needed, and see if that’s enough. It’s a small enough amount that the protein shouldn’t be a big issue.

(What The Fast?!) #38

Sweet, thanks! I figure water should be fine for 36-48 hours. It’s more of a mental game, right? :smiley:

(KCKO, KCFO) #39

Fung’s Complete Fasting Guide says up to 2 cups per day is ok. My first fast I needed all that, the second I used 1.5 cups, this last fast, I had .5 cup at two meals to sit with my DH at a couple of meals. I add salt to it if I feel the need if not, I just drink it as is.

Happy fasting. I’m starting another fast after dinner tonight. I can not believe how easy it is once you do it a few times.

(Julia Wilson) #40

Thank you for asking this question! I am on the third day of my first five-day fast and I have been drinking a cup of homemade bone broth every day per Jimmy Moore and Dr. Fung’s recommendation in the Complete Guide to Fasting as well as a serving of exogenous ketones before my workouts. I knew that this would preclude me from achieving autophagy but since it’s my first extended fast I made my peace with that since the idea of doing only water for my first fast was pretty daunting.

The physical difference in my body between day one and day two was almost shocking–I couldn’t believe how different and more fit I looked. Today, however, (day three) I am feeling more bloated, which is the opposite of what I would have expected. With the combined broth and exogenous ketones I am probably ingesting fewer than 10 g of protein a day. Is that enough to negate the fast?

Sorry-new to extended fasting here :slight_smile: