Brand new to Keto - Am I doing it right?

(Mr G) #1

Hi Everyone… I decided to start keto as i had piled on the pounds over the last few years . I started at 240lbs . I began the diet on Tuesday and found eggs , bacon & cheese are my new friend … i felt weird yesterday , dull head and day long headache . Today i feel fine . My wife can’t get her head around the fact that i’m eating so much fat , especially the butter when i’m cooking . I am starting to doubt myself as to if i am eating to much , or having to much fat . This weekend i’ve been snacking on chorizo slices and cheese . Do i need to count calories as well , or do i start doing that once i’m in Keto …Also how do i know i’m in keto without strips or testers…

(Teresa Driver) #2

If you are not eating carbs, and you do not have diarrhea, you are not eating too much fat. It will look like it to everyone else, but your body will let you know when it’s too much. When I started out I was consuming an entire stick of butter every day by myself and all the mayonnaise and cream cheese I could get my hands on. That doesn’t even figure in the pepperoni, slim jims, summer sausage, scrambled eggs, heavy whipping cream in my coffee, and the 70% lean hamburger.

The strips are fairly cheap on Amazon, but I knew I was in ketosis because I got this taste in my mouth like metal spoons and my urine started to smell different (think nail polish remover). I realized I was fat adapted the day I had to go for jury duty and there was nothing keto available at the court house so I didn’t eat for 12 hours and I didn’t pass out.

I’d say you’re doing fine. Eat fat when you’re hungry, run you macros to see what the minimum amount of protein you need is, and just remember this is chemistry.

(Yery Colombón) #3

What are chorizo slices? :grin::grin::grin:

(Barbara Greenwood) #4

Certainly not to start with. Some people say they do eventually - but if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. As long as you keep the carbs very low and protein moderate (you know, just normal amounts of protein food) and eat enough fat to make your meals satisfying, you are almost bound to lose weight.

When it goes wrong - if it does - come back for more advice :slight_smile:

(chris gibson) #5

I also started keto at 240 lbs alost 3 months. It took me about 2 or 3 weeks to really get into ketosis and get the hang of things. You’ll feel like crap for the next couple weeks but you have to persevere. Then you’ll start noticing a difference. The first few weeks don’t worry so much about the amount of food you eat. Just gobble it up. You’ll adjust once you get over the hump. I’m down to 217 now and not craving any carbs and eating a lot less. You’ll get there.

(Teresa Driver) #6

Mexican Red Sausage = Chorizo. Puts Polska Kielbasa to shame.

(Jase) #7

Increase salt intake to avoid headaches- bouillon or add to sparkling water. Keep the levels up and you don’t get the problems

(Christopher) #8

How does this diet work with high blood pressure? Seems like I would get all my sodium in one meal.

(Jase) #9

Suggest google search dr James Dinicolantonio and his research on salt and high blood pressure- in his research its sugar that drives up BP and not salt.
I’ve seen similar comments by Dr John Briffa. Last 5 years I’ve increased salt intake and my BP has lowered not increased

(Jase) #10

Sorry last post was I wrong thread!
Ref keto and high BP - general advice is that it lowers it. Sugar ergo carbs drives it up

(Christopher) #11

Thank you! It seems like people are really divided on this…but I see friends starting to fire on all cylinders after a few weeks, thought I would give it a shot. Thanks again for the info.

(Jase) #12

No problem. I know it seems contradictory to all government and medical advice, but I believe it’s right direction. Just remove the sugars. Good luck!

(Barbara Greenwood) #13

Also remove processed seed oils. The excess Omega 6 fats are very inflammatory and implicated in heart disease. Use olive, coconut and avocado oils, butter, ghee, lard…

(Jase) #14

Good point - excellent advice. Avoid vegetable oils - rapeseed, sunflower etc fruit oils like olive and avocado fine

(roxanna) #15

My BP and HR go up if I do not get enough salt (and other electrolytes).

(Saudat Zik) #16

I am new here, and have never tried the Lego dieting,and I seriously want to lose weight…whats d way out??

(Barbara Greenwood) #17

Sorry, I don’t understand what you’re asking.

(Saudat Zik) #18

I said am new here, and I seriously want to loose some weight,i have tried so many weight loss programs and its not really working,so I need you to guide me on how to start my own keto dieting journey,thanks

(Carpe salata!) #19

Make some bacon and eggs with butter and no toast. Then sit down to read the forums here while you eat it slowly. You’ll find lots of good info. Then ask any specifics.

After several posts your autocorrect should get used to not changing ‘keto’ to ‘Lego’.

:slight_smile:

(Barbara Greenwood) #20

I started with the rule “no GPS” - no grains, potatoes, or sugar.

Don’t be afraid of fat, that’s what fills you up. Just make sure it is natural fat such as butter, lard, olive oil - not processed seed oils or margarine.

Come back with any specific questions.