Brand new and excited to read all these threads!

(mole person) #21

Yes, absolutely, and that’s a worse outcome than overeating it by a bit.

This may very well be correct. It’s certainly how I’ve concluded that 1 g is really far too much for me.

Is this per kg of lean weight, or total current weight?

I have more to add, but my pork roast is ready!!! :smiley:

Have you asked Ted about that? I believe he’s pretty responsive.

(Running from stupidity) #23

Or even a LOT!

(mole person) #24

No, where would one talk to him?

You could try his Twitter :slightly_smiling_face:

(Carl Keller) #26

If I understand this correctly, you are saying your brain is hyperactive, which is a result of it using more ketones which is arguably, a better source of fuel than glucose. The brain does still need and use glucose but it can make it in the liver through a process called Gluconeogenesis, as needed, even in the absence of eaten carbohydrates.

Increased brain fuction and better memory can also be benefits of eating low carb. LC has also been known to have improved symptoms from brain diseases like Alzheimers, Parkingsons and Dementia. Brain fog is typically used to describe poor focus, memory or confusion And if that’s the case for you, I would recommend a little coconut oil in your morning coffee as well as cooking with it, at least until your body better adjusts to using ketones efficiently.

Because even veggies produce natural sugars. These sugars are a way lot better for us than processed sugars but they are sugars nonetheless. The good news is if you count net carbs (Total carbs minus the fiber), then 1 cup of cauliflower is only 2.2 carbs toward your daily 20. If you count total, it’s about 5.1 carbs per cup. In the forum here, about 66% of voters use net carbs.

Sounds like you are doing just fine. :wink:

Total current weight.

Hope it was delicous. :slight_smile:

(mole person) #27

So here is my main concern about using satiety alone. I just had my OMAD meal. My guesstimate is that it was about 60 grams of protein which is fairly average for when I eat OMAD though there is significant variance. Some days I’ll eat less than 30g some days I probably close in on 90g. The thing is, if I were to have had lunch as well I would have tacked on about another 25 g. I think I must eat very different amounts of protein on days I have two meals from days I have one. They can’t both be right, can they?

Hmm…now I’m wondering if maybe I autocorrect and the days I eat lunch are the same days I tend to have 30g of protein at dinner.

Damn, now I’m going to have to track again!

(mole person) #28

It was soooo good. I bought a sous vide today. It’s still sitting in the box. It’s really hard for me to imagine how tonight’s deliciousness can be improved on though.

@juice You’re a sous vide guy, right? Is there any point in using it on cuts of meat that are already super tender and don’t take that long to cook in the oven? Can these really be improved upon significantly?

(Running from stupidity) #29

So use a REALLY BIG CUP

HTH

WOOHOO!!!

@juice You’re a sous vide guy, right? Is there any point in using it on cuts of meat that are already super tender and don’t take that long to cook in the oven? Can these really be improved upon significantly?

I’m a “really cheap cuts of meat” sous vide guy.

But yes, still improves. You can cook it to the EXACT amount of doneness[1] you want, and then because it’s in the pan/on the grill for such a short period of time after that (just to get the crust/Maillard reaction done) you don’t have a gradient inside the meat, so it’s all the one doneness.

[1] real word, look it up later in the paragraph

(Carl Keller) #30

I believe if we are fat adapted then yes, we can totally eat half as much protein one day as we do the next and it can be enough to satiate. The amount of dietary fuel we lack can be compensated with body fat. I can’t speak for everyone else, but I cannot eat 2 meals worth of food in one sitting, if I am doing OMAD. But by the looks of Pickle Dave’s plates in the What did keto today thread, I won’t say it’s impossible. :stuck_out_tongue:

Looking at my tracking history, I notice that on my OMAD days I’m around 80-90 grams of protein and on some of my feasting days (day before OMAD) I am around 120 grams of protein. In both instances I can recall satiety.

I can literally smell it. I had pork roast on NYD and it was fork tender and all dressed in sauerkraut. I can’t wait to do it again sometime soon. :slight_smile:

+1 Gonna order me some Aussie measuring cups right after I click reply. :stuck_out_tongue:

(mole person) #31

I love buying really cheap cuts too. I’m super excited to be able to do something with them other than slow cook. I’ll probably be peppering you with questions over the next few weeks so be prepared!

I have to admit, the idea of a roast beef without that gradient does sound good. I like my meat pretty rare and it always feels like a terrible waste that so much ends up NOT rare on the outside. :frowning:

(mole person) #33

I thinked and thunked as hard as I could but I could not decipher this acronym. Help!

(Carl Keller) #34

Oh sorry, it’s New Year’s Day. It’s a local tradition to eat sauerkraut and pork on NYD. Not sure if it’s a German thing or an Irish one.

(mole person) #35

haha…I was stuck at “New York something

Sauerkraut sounds great with it. I’m going to get some for tomorrow.

(mole person) #36

There is nothing wrong with that calorie range as long as you have significant fat on your body AND you’re not hungry. You can’t go into starvation mode if you aren’t even hungry. Your body is telling you it’s fine getting it’s energy from it’s fat cells. This is exactly what you want. You are just getting to it earlier than many others do. Count yourself blessed.

This is a tough question. Different people get very different readings on those sticks. For myself, when I’m eating really low carbs I get readings that are between moderate and high. So when I get a number near trace it means I’m nearly out of ketosis. But that’s me. I’ve figured out what the sticks look like when I KNOW for sure I’m deep into ketosis. My husband never shows half as dark as i do and he eats the same food.

Basically, ketones on urine strips are about how many ketones we are spilling and how dilute our urine is. I think I’m just naturally a ketone waster and you may already be more efficient with them than I am after pushing two years. Also, if you drink a lot of water, you will be diluting the result.

One thing I suggest is don’t measure early in the day, after meals or after exercise. I find my highest readings are before dinner or before bed at night. Other than that experiment a bit to see what range of colours you get under various conditions. Then you’ll be able to use them to see how various carb counts affect your level of ketosis if you ever want to play around with that a bit.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #37

Keep your carbohydrate under 20 g/day and eat to satiety. This means eating only when hungry, stopping eating when no longer hungry, and not eating again until hungry again. If you are concerned about not getting enough protein, cut back on the fat and continue eating to satiety.

It is possible, however, that you don’t want more food because you’ve already eaten enough protein for the day. The protein-leverage hypothesis, which Dr. Naiman endorses, states that we have an instinct to get a certain amount of protein every day. The amount of food that will satisfy us depends on how rich it is in protein—which is another reason that people overeat on the standard American diet, because it is protein-poor, as well as insulinogenic (and insulin blocks the sensation of satiety).

(Running from stupidity) #38

New York Dumpster

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #39

That’s not exactly how I understood the matter. My reading suggests that excess protein—amino acids in an amount above what can be stored in the labile pool, in other words—gets deaminated, not metabolized. In fact, metabolizing amino acids is a wasteful process, because it requires more energy and yields less ATP. It seems to me that the extra energy cost of metabolizing protein might not be a bad thing under certain circumstances. Of course, amino acids in great excess run the risk of overwhelming the urea pathway and causing ammonia toxicity. My understanding is that if one smells of ammonia, one should cut back significantly on the protein intake.

But the protein-leverage hypothesis that Dr. Naiman promotes states that there is an instinct to keep protein intake at the proper level, and that protein leverage is partly why protein has a satiating effect (some people claim, in fact, that protein is more satiating than fat). I remember reading that one researcher conducting an overfeeding study had a participant break down at the thought of being required to eat yet another pork chop, so I suspect that the body’s feedback mechanisms probably work pretty well in most cases to prevent excessive protein intake.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #40

Surely saurkraut and pork is German, because cabbage and corned beef is Irish (on Saint Patrick’s Day, anyway!). :grin:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #41

You are producing ketones. If you ever doubt that, ask yourself the following questions:

1. Have I been eating 20 g/day or less of carbohydrate?

2. Am I still alive?

If the answer to both questions is Yes, then you are in ketosis.