Body By Science, Fasting and BFR Training Results (with pics!)

(Windmill Tilter) #501

I did an abbreviated BBS workout today with just leg press and bicep curls. My shoulder is bothering me so I’m giving it shoulder/traps are bothering me so I’m giving them a break. I’ll restart presses and pulls with BFR. It’s nice having my own rehab kit, but I’ll probably get some funny looks using them in the gym!

The good news is that my bicep curls jumped all the way up to 70lbs for 40 seconds (from 50lbs for 65 seconds a month ago). My new 1 rep max is 75lbs (calculated). I used to do them last, but doing them as the first arm exercise definitely made a difference. Exercise order matters!

(Joey) #502

Not sure about the chemistry involved, but I understood the general gist to be that, collectively, adipose tissue behaves like an organ. The more there is the more it releases/participates in hormone signals to “get fed.”

The network of fat cells doesn’t want to give up its stores of energy and so signals hunger more often to feed the beast, so to speak.

Someone with real knowledge can correct me if I’ve got this cartoon version screwed up. :woozy_face:

(Windmill Tilter) #503

That seems plausible. Personally, I believe that when they shrink as a consequence of lipolysis, they send a signal that inhibits leptin (satiety) and increases gherelin production (hunger). That’s a cartoon, crackpot theory that I’ve never seen supported by science, but it would explain set point theory, which currently lacks an explanatory mechanism if memory serves. Something has to explain the fact that 80% of people regain the fat they lose after months of dieting. Metabolic slowdown is part of the story too of course, but insufficient to explain how hard it is not to regain.

I could easily be sold on the idea that fat cells have signaling mechanisms.

(Bunny) #504

The secret might be Vanilla Beans, yes sounds crazy…like real crazy?

Think I might be adding some to my diet!

No, not “might;” definitely!

References:

[1] “…The scientists looked at levels of DNA-PK activity in the skeletal muscles of rhesus macaques and mice. These levels were low over time until middle-age, when they rose significantly. Further experiments showed that DNA-PK activity promotes the conversion of nutrients to fat and decreases the number of mitochondria, the tiny organelles in cells that turn fat into energy to fuel the body. Mitochondria can be found in abundance among young people, but the numbers drop considerably in older people. Researchers know that fewer mitochondria can promote obesity as well as loss of exercise capacity. The researchers theorized that reducing DNA-PK activity might increase the number of mitochondria and promote fat burning. They tested their theory with a drug that inhibits DNA-PK. Mice that received the inhibitor had a 40% decrease in weight gain when fed a high-fat diet. The drug boosted the number of mitochondria in the skeletal muscle, increased the fitness of obese and middle aged mice, and reduced the incidence of obesity and type 2 diabetes. …” …More

[2] Vanillins—a novel family of DNA-PK inhibitors “…Vanillin blocked DNA end-joining by human cell extracts by directly inhibiting the activity of DNA-PK, a crucial NHEJ component. …”

image link

[3] “…Wortmannin is a fungal metabolite that was identified as a potent and selective inhibitor for phosphoinositide 3-kinases (PI3Ks) and PI3K-related enzymes.144,145 Kinases of this family covalently react via a conserved active site lysine nucleophile with an electrophilic extended Michael acceptor system in wortmannin. The remarkable selectivity for this important kinase subclass has stimulated the design of wortmannin-based ABPP probes (Figure 26(a)). Addressing this challenge, two studies have been reported that chemically modified the wortmannin core structure in order to be compatible with ABPP studies. Yee et al.98 prepared several wortmannin…” …More

Maintainance? losing muscle? Largely reduce fat intake, been at desired weight but have more % fat now
(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #505

Very cool. I’ve played with exercise order a little and it does seem to matter.

This is Ilana Rose’s post :slight_smile: I will have to look into it a bit more… :slight_smile:

(mole person) #507

He’s saying that whenever we fatten it’s mediated by our hormonal milieu. Just as when a pregnant woman fattens up or a teenage girl adds adiposity during puberty we don’t say they are fattening because they are overeating (even though in both cases more calories are taken in to affect these changes), it’s equally backwards to say it about people who are eating themselves into obesity.

He’s saying that the foods that we eat govern our hormonal and metabolic milieu and affect our hunger, cravings, and impulses to eat. If you’re eating a food that puts your body in a state of fat storage, that simultaneously cuts access to your fuel source, and that keeps you starving constantly to eat more food then it makes more sense to say that you are overeating because you body is fattening then the other way around.

Taubes was the first writer that I hit on the road to the ketogenic diet. I actually had a hard time wrapping my head around this paradigm shifting idea at first, but the longer I see the effects of tinkering with dietary elements the more I’m certain that it’s quite brilliant and the less sense the notion of the “Phinney weight” makes except in the very trivial sense that your “Phinney weight” is whatever weight you are no longer willing to adjust your diet in order to affect your metabolic milieu.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #508

Today was the conclusion of my BBS recovery period experiment. Today a BBS after a 4 day recovery. I improved 6 routines of 7 and for the 7th the eqpt was down. So the reduced recovery period works for me.

Wrists continue to be my smiley face routine. I just went to 45 lbs two weeks ago and will be ready to go to 50 lbs after my next routine likely. Also, I’m still improving fast on the one-arm cable pull down and back which is a new routine replacing the seated pull. Thanks @Don_Q for the suggestion.

I also worked on my self speak the last couple of days

• eric you are going to kill it this time
  • eric you are stronger than you imagine

Thoughts like that. Sometimes saying them outloud in the car… And I remembered many years ago I walked a 20 foot horizontal pole, 50’ high without holding on to anything. I did have a safety line. I was probably 300+ lbs at the time. I never thought I could do that but I did it. That lately has been a source of additional internal strength.

The result of the recovery test is, I will rotate Friday, Wednesday, Monday - repeat, which gives me 50% more routines in a given period.

(mole person) #509

I find nuts to be just about the most unsatiating and moreish of the “keto” foods. I can eat a pound of nuts in a single sitting and I’ll probably be thinking about chocolate afterwards. I can’t even eat a half pound of steak.

I think this might be bro science. The idea is that you cannot put on muscle if you are not in a caloric surplus, hence some fat gains come along for the ride. I don’t think there is any actual science to back this up though. If anyone knows of any though I’d love to see it.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #510

Oh gosh. I think I just realized Pork Rinds are my moreish food. They eventually make me feel full but like an hour later. And I am gaining, not losing or not stable right now. I need to mentally adjust my satiety level and just pause after my meals.

(mole person) #511

I think set points are pretty much exactly like “Phinney” weights. People regain weight after dieting because they are unable, for one reason or another, to actually maintain the particulars of the diet that they were doing that got them to their low weight. Maybe it was too much caloric restriction and constant hunger, maybe it was a fasting or IF strategy that weakened or fell apart, or maybe it was the steady reintroduction of more and more off plan foods.

I struggled like crazy trying to “maintain” a weight in the 104-108 lb range that I like on keto. But it was a never-ending battle of tightening up to get down to 104 lbs and then creeping slowly back towards 112 lbs. Being a good keto girl simply wasn’t enough to effortlessly maintain that particular weight. It wasn’t my set point on the keto diet. On high fat carnivore though that is my set point. Nothing budges me now unless I break carnivore for several days running.

(mole person) #512

I think I’m broken with respect to certain foods. I can eat nuts until my stomach hurts so much that I won’t sleep a wink all night…

And then do it again the next night. Totally broken. :slightly_frowning_face:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #513

Yes I think that describe me as well. My satiety signals are messed up, but improving. You provide great insight into all things keto, diet, carnivore. Thanks for jumping in.

(mole person) #514

@daddyoh You just made my day :hugs:.

(Joey) #515

I full agree, exercise order does matter.

As an avid “exerciser” of various stripes over the past 30 yrs - and as one who keeps copious records - I look back and primarily see exercise disorder. :muscle::woozy_face:

Currently doing a rotation of BBS, BFR, and HIIT cardio. Oh, and of course daily qi gong and tai chi. :yin_yang:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #516

You must have more free time than I do. Awesome.

Thanks for your reply :slight_smile:

Nuts are the worst, but I had a week of “stuffing my emotions with nuts…” :frowning:

I remember reading something similar in a thread, I believe it was Karim’s…I could be wrong, of course.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #518

@Meerkatsandy and the other women here. I noticed this today and it may be of interest to you. Body By Science (aka 1xweek workout) - WOMEN!

The 2nd post is a link to a podcast by Dr. McGuff’s wife. That should be very applicable to many of you.

(mole person) #519

Sounds plausible, I believe he has a strong affinity for almonds.

yes, please comment, people! :slight_smile: