Body By Science, Fasting and BFR Training Results (with pics!)

(Heather Meyer) #21

When i did BBS… i still did arm and leg splits. The gym was too busy to get a good workout doing full body.
I tell ya though, BBS workouts are so hard, i feel on the verge of nausea when done and I cant walk for a whole week after legs

(Windmill Tilter) #22

No kidding. Definitely not average results! Jay is super down to earth, and right up front about the results to expect from High Intensity training. He’s up front about the fact that he looks like he does in large part due to genetics. 99% of people could lift, do steroids, and spend 8hrs a day in the gym and they’ll never develop muscles like that. I have no ambition to, so that doesn’t bother me at all.

The point that he tries to make is that regardless of your genetics, you can build a lot of muscle, strengthen bones, & connective tissue, and using the HIT slow rep approach, you can do it really safely. The goal isn’t to look like a fitness model, the goal should be to build strength and health as safely as possible. I really like that.

He just posted a short video on that topic a couple days ago. Check it out, he’s a super nice guy. He’s been putting out some good content on his channel; definitely worth subscribing. It’s hard to find videos on how HIT/BBS weightlifting should be done in practice.

(Mame) #23

Yep, this is an issue sometimes.
A trainer really helped me with form, I think it’s normal when you are working to fatigue to lose form. I BBS trained 1x a week for over a year, occasionally due to my work travel schedule there would be 4 days in between or 10 days… I thought was good to mix it up.
It got harder and harder to fast on training days. I would end up feeling so hungry, even though I have plenty of fat to burn still!

Me too. But I think I am going to take a break for a couple months and then regroup for doing it on my own via Eric’s methods.:smiley:
Eric, do you track your time under tension?

[quote=“Don_Q, post:14, topic:95281”]
My problem is that I can only bribe myself to work out if I know there is a hot sauna waiting for me at the end
[/quote] :rofl:

Kirk! you are on you tube!! Yes, my trainer had me do both of these things!

(Windmill Tilter) #24

This is a great tip. I’ve done this and you can feel the difference. This is something that Drew Baye (HIT author and trainer) advocates when you want to hit a muscle particularly hard.

I’m going to have to look into BFR more. Sounds intriguing! Congrats on the YouTube vid. :+1::+1::+1:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #25

I only track wt and reps to failure right now. Will, start to track more soon. Tracking anything tends to bog me down in my life.

I started this approach recently and it is making a big difference.

(Kirk Wolak) #26

I would look at BFR, seriously. It doesnt incur the DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness).

Legs are also easy to overdo, because you walk on them every day, every step. I went crazy with legs years ago, and got my leg press over 800lbs. Not that I was in great shape, I was still Obese back then. Like I joked, 800 lbs is probably the force of me jumping out of bed back then. LOL.

I would split my legs and do 1/2 one routine, and the other 1/2 the other routine.

One reason is that “We know” are leg muscles are more powerful. And we can REALLY push them. We have DOUBTS about what are arms can handle. And that little bit is the difference between REALLY pushing it, and just pushing it.

The nausea… That’s how you KNOW you did it right. If you can SPRING off a machine after a slow slow session. You left a LOT on the table!

(Windmill Tilter) #27

I checked out BFR and it’s fascinating. Lot’s of interesting research into this space and lots going on clinically with it for rehab & physiotherapy. The obvious question that comes to mind: is

• What equipment works best?
  • How to get correct compression/tightness?
  • What are some good online resources are to learn more about how to do it properly, workouts, etc?

Beam me up some BFR insights CaptainKirk! :grinning::+1:

(Kirk Wolak) #28

I bought these bands: I bought these bands: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XRZC67R

Also the ones for the legs… They are NOT elastic, but I need tighter bands than the elastic did, especially for the legs…

Okay, “How Tight” is the magical question. On a scale of 1…10 where 10 is painful, and cutting off ALL bloodflow (BAD… Very BAD)… You want a 7. You should still be able to take your pulse. And as you work out, the bands get tighter as you get pumped! Finally, studies done, show that even at a tightness of 5 on that scale… Benefits were measured in the 80% range… So, experiment.

The numbers are meant for the Symmetry issue…

YouTube was where I went, but the BFRBands brand will include a card with a link to a set of videos and a PDF file helping you with the workouts.

It should NOT be painful. If it is painful, loosen it. It might feel tight, but this should NOT create a sore sensation.

HTH!
PS: This is not advice! You do you!

(Heather Meyer) #29

very interesting…had never heard of it till now…

(Mame) #30

I agree ! Fascinating.

(Windmill Tilter) #31

Wow. For my money, BFR is basically the perfect complement to Body by Science and other HIT.

The reason BBS/HIT is tricky to do more than once per week is not that it overloads your muscle’s recovery ability, it’s that it overloads your central nervous system. The same is true for aerobic HIIT workouts. Folks that happily run 10 miles a day get completely fried if they attempt daily 15 minute HIIT workouts not because the muscles can’t recover, but because their central nervous system can’t.

BFR is the exact opposite. The loads it uses (30% of 1 rep max) are too low to tax the CNS. That’s why it’s hard to develop much strength with BFR. All BFR is really good for is hypertrophy, and it’s used clinically to rapidly build muscle after atrophy caused by injury. That’s usually the criticism of BFR; it builds muscle mass very quickly, but very little strength because it doesn’t adequately stress the CNS.

When you combine Body by Science with BFR, you get a system that maximizes strength and hypertrophy. The BFR gives you a second workout each week that builds muscle but doesn’t compromise CNS recovery. :+1::+1::+1:

This is really amazing stuff @CaptainKirk!

Paging @Karim_Wassef: This is right up your alley.

(Kirk Wolak) #32

Yeah… These are the 3 cornerstones, IMO…

And BFR has been used 2 times a day in elite athletes! That is mind boggling!

You can always overdo anything… And I am going with a Friday BFR and Monday SS, with a Wednesday HIIT day.

And I am trying to dream up a way to combine BFR with HIIT. A BFR HIIT routine. But you lose the one benefit of the BFR… Lack of a need of recovery… HIIT produces a CNS Stress level that REQUIRES recovery.

Ultimately, I want to find a few “Near Perfectly Optimized” Routines. That maximize results, minimize recovery required, and don’t over-train you. (The Keto of exercise!)

Thanks for the kind words, and lets spread the word!

Wow, this is so interesting, I had no idea.
I’m buying the book tomorrow :slight_smile:
I don’t have a home gym or go to the gym, but I do have weights at home. Is it possible to do BBS at home?

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #34

I’ve read about people that do BBS using their body weight. You might search for “failure training body weight”.

I’ll do just that :slight_smile: thanks :slight_smile:

(Bunny) #36

I luv this guy, not just because he looks good but because of the cemetery of his body composition, he does not have one inch of notable fat on his body but he does in fact have fat cells but you cannot see them because they are not in storage mode and I also know you do not need to use the type of machines he uses to achieve this, and if you pay close attention to his breathing techniques it explains volumes, of course it is nice to have fancy weighted machines.

I’m beginning to realize that the amount of adipose tissue and circumference in size of the adipose tissue and skeletal muscle volume explains the core reason why we get fat and even more interesting the fatty deposits that develop in the muscle tissue and around it from high carb sugary diets in ratio to muscle, adipose number and adipocyte size which is clearly demonstrated over and over again in lab mice and rats; those fatty deposits in the muscle tissue cause default storage in adipocytes but at the same time a person is trying burn it off or shrink the adipocytes in futility.

It is almost like muscular diabetes?

There is no way in hell that the skeletal muscle system is not an endocrine organ just like it was recently discovered with fat cells?

Hmmm?

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #37

I agree with you.

(Windmill Tilter) #38

You can do the Body by Science workout with free weights, but it’s more challenging. The key priciple of Body by Science workouts is “total muscle failure”. That’s trickier to do safely with free weights, but it can be done. The BBS book covers this, but if you want to go the free weight route, check out Drew Baye’s book on HIT training. He covers it better.

Another cheap option that some folks do for home workouts is the Total Gym. Don’t laugh!

You"ve probably seen the cheesy TV ads with Chuck Norris and the ridiculous price tag. Ironically these devices were designed for HIT like Body by Science. Since the 1970’s, the inventor, Dr. Boccaccio, was advocating a crazy regimen of low carb, high fat, moderate protein diet coupled with HIT resistance training. Sound familiar?:yum:

The total gym was meant to be a safe and cost effective way to do muscle failure exercises. Then he sold the rights to the machine I guess. He has a book called 15 Minutes to Fitness that came out last year. The Total Gym costs a fortune new, but you can pick one up for $100 on craigslist.

I’m visiting my parents house at the moment, and my Dad actually has one that he uses. I’m going totally going to try it!

I just watched a podcast with him and that Bulletproof guy, asprey or smth similar (I forgot, I’m sorry) and they were discussing cytokines, myokines, IL-6…
They’re are definitely researching this.

Edit: here’s the podcast :slight_smile:
https://youtu.be/aie1AgEXikY

Thanks for your suggestions. :slight_smile:
Nothing by crazy men with crazy ideas…I’m glad they were right! :wink:

I work out at home, Fitness Blender, and I think it’s time for a change.
I was just telling my husband about this and we might even go the gym route. We have different schedules and work locations, so I’ll probably try to find a decent gym close to work, since I prefer my morning workouts.