Best time of Day for blood ketones?

(Chris Robertson) #41

From all I have read, it is my understanding that you shouldn’t worry about the number on the scale until you have been doing keto for a month or two. In the beginning you need more fat so that it’s always there and ready to burn when your body runs out of carbs. Once your body gets used burning the fat you can reduce the amount of fat you eat. The 80% fat rule was designed for children with epilepsy. Children need to grow so they need more fat. Adults don’t necessarily need 80% fat. They just need their grams of fat to be equal to or grater than their carbs and protein combined.

(Lisa D) #42

Hi Chris - Thank you for this. I will heed your advice and hide the scale in the garage until July 15! Great tip! Regarding the fat: Intuitively that is how I feel and as I read more blogs, there do seem to be some Keto pros that say you don’t need ALL the additional fats I’m trying to cram - ie cook everything in bacon fat, add the gloops of keto mayo, full T of ghee and MCT oil in my coffee, top with cheese, etc … I like that formula - fats > protein+carbs - never heard that. I strive to consume 100+ g fat, 80 g protein 20 g total fat I take more protein b/c I strength train 3 days a week and do cardio 3 days a week - down on Sunday. At any rate, the more I get used to this WOE, the easier it becomes. I love these blogs too! Thanks again!!

(Christine) #43

I was at a plateau and then a Dr. Suggested that I focus on reaching my protein goals for the day and only use fat as a filler. The theory behind this Dr’s. recommendation, was that if you are trying to burn your body fat and you take in more fat from foods, than you have to burn that off before it starts using your body fat- His advice worked for me. i do add MCT oil to my teas and coffees during the day, but after lowering my fat more weight started coming off. That is what worked for me. Also I do not worry about my keto levels as long as I am in ketosis.

(Paul Davies ) #44

Hi all. I used the keto stix & found them not to be a good indication of my keto levels & wanted a better indicator so I brought the Freestyle Optimum Neo. I test 1st thing in the morning after getting up & before consuming any foods or liquids. The 6 months that I have been doing a low carb, med protein & high fat diet I’ve been .4 -.5 mmol range. I’m currently doing a long fast which is now in day 4 & this morning my level is 5.4 mmol. I’m in full nutritional ketosis & have ridden the wave of challenges from the 1st 2 days. I’ve lost 2kg’s also in the fast period & 16kg from the start of my 6 month journey. My Gki is .74 also. Feel good, look good & may go further on the fast…who knows!

(Wendy g walmsley) #45

Hi I am new at all this, I have just bought a blood glucose monitor my reading in a morning is 5.8 how do I know when Ime in ketosis Thankyou in advance x

I know this question was raised a a while ago but I believe this scientific study answers the question:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5097355/

Basically at 3AM is the best time, but anytime after 10PM is good. The lowest numbers are to be had at 10am.

But, like measuring weight, the numbers can be all over the place. I reckon the best unit of measure for me is belt notch position. I’ve gone -2 notches in a month. I feel 15 years younger. Yep I’m in nutritional ketosis.