Best time of Day for blood ketones?

What is the best time of the day to check blood ketone levels? I’ve heard that upon rising is a bad time because the body produces glucose overnight while you sleep. I’ve heard others say mid afternoon and still others at night at the end of the day.

Please unconfuse this confused keto novice. Thanks in advance!

(Allie) #2

I’ve been testing three times a day, just out of curiosity.
Can’t keep doing it as the test strips are so expensive, but interesting to gauge things properly.

(Mary Ann) #3

I’ve heard this too. But I’m doing an N=1 experiment and my blood ketone readings are higher in the AM (generally).

• Not fasting *approx 5 hrs after eating Ketones: 3.9

• Not fasting (mid afternoon) Ketones: 1.4

• Not Fasting (approx 5 hrs after eating) Ketones 2.0

• Not Fasting (approx 3.5 hrs after eating) Ketones 1.6

• Fasting Ketones 3.3

• Fasting Ketones 2.9

• Fasting but a few hours (3) after ACV Ketones 2.8

• Fasting Ketones 3.6

• Not Fasting 2.2

Not fasting means in the afternoon and at least after 1 meal. My first reading was the highest and it was in the afternoon. These are all separate day measurements. I haven’t done the test in the AM and the PM (only because of cost). Will try that next.

Wow, Maryann thannk you so much for the data, which I know was not cheap for you to come by due the the high cost of ketone strips! Please keep me updated. :slight_smile:

(Tovan Nhsh) #5

I have definitely noticed lower blood ketones in the morning than later in the day. When I first started checking I blew through numerous strips/day, now, when I check it’s only in the morning. Reasoning being that it will only go up from there.

(Allison B) #6

So, I got my Precision Xtra meter today. I got a reading of 0.4 :frowning: I expected higher. I’ve been doing Keto since April 10. I haven’t lost since losing 10 lbs in the beginning, but I feel like I’ve been in Ketosis for well over a month. Lot’s of energy, a need for much less sleep, decreased appetite and cravings. I keep my carbs below 25 net. What could be the problem? My blood glucose also is never under 90 for some reason, even when fasting. Any advice for me?? Thanks :slight_smile:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #7

Evening is highest for me, before my 20/4 IF meal

(Allison B) #8

So, After a lengthy fast? What do your number usually run?

Do you use coffee or caffeine pills to blunt your hunger throughout the day until your eating window arrives?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #10

I’m a coffee drinker. It’s normal for me to indulge in an Americano (3 shots espresso) early in the day.

I’m used to IF, and my body doesn’t ask for food till late afternoon out of habit now.

Of course you drink coffee black, right? If you add cream and butter then it’s technically not IF. Please clarify on that. :slight_smile:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #12

(John Somsky aka KetoGrinder) #13

If you want to see how you are trending, then I think the best advice is to try to measure at the same time everyday. After all the goal should be to make the meter read as high as possible (although I’m guilty of that). It should be to measure how you are doing and evaluate if changes you are making are positive or negative.

But also keep in mind that the body is complicated, so readings can seem random. Unfortunately it may take more readings than are practical to completely overcome the natural variance. But you should be able to get a general idea if you are on the right track.

(Allie) #14

Morning’s for me are anything between 0.6 and 1.1
Highest reading I’ve had any other time is 2.4
Lowest I’ve had is 0.5 and that was after training one evening.

(Nick White) #15

Check out the “Dawning Phenomenon” that happens when you’re about to wake up. Your body somehow anticipates the start of the day and begins producing glucose. I haven’t tested how this affects my ketones, but it does affect my glucose. Highest reading I’ve gotten was in the evening.

I’m now 3.5 months into ketogenic diet. Lately I check BS and Ketones morning (upon rising) and before dinner and before bedtime. I’m a boring eater. Eat the same breakfast everyday and dinners are a select few. I skip lunch. Contrary to most I have generally higher ketones in the morning. I don’t know why. My pre-dinner and pre-bedtime numbers are usually about the same and a little lower than mornings. I feel like I am seeing a general trend here. I have noticed fluctuations based on heavy activity and exercise which is usually weekends; and more typical numbers during the work week.
I enjoy tracking them, and good numbers are motivating; but the more I read about it- the less concerned I am, because as mentioned previously it is more complicated than it appears. For example, I am trying to wrap my head around how “efficiency” affects the readings i.e. what we measure are ketones not being utilized. I’m hoping that soon, I can stop monitoring all together. Good luck!

(marc heverly) #17

I completely agree with you Brenda. You can’t overthink this and learn to listen to your body. My first couple of weeks I was OCD macro nutrients but then my body started letting me know when and how much to eat!

(Adam Seal) #18

I am new to this but I noticed after completing a 16 day fast ( 10 just water and 6 coming off the fast) my Blood glucose was 64 and my Ketones were 4.8 (GKI .74) but after 3 days of eating 79%-20%-1% (fat-pro-carb) my blood glucose id now 61 and ketones 2.0 (GKI 1.69) Is that normal or have I done something wrong?

Triplebgirl
Allison B
Jun 27
So, I got my Precision Xtra meter today. I got a reading of 0.4 :frowning: I expected higher. I’ve been doing Keto since April 10. I haven’t lost since losing 10 lbs in the beginning, but I feel like I’ve been in Ketosis for well over a month. Lot’s of energy, a need for much less sleep, decreased appetite and cravings. I keep my carbs below 25 net. What could be the problem? My blood glucose also is never under 90 for some reason, even when fasting. Any advice for me?? Thanks :slight_smile:

Try cutting the fat grams down. Need your body to use body fat instead of dietary fat for energy. The when you reach your goal weight you add back in fat grams till you stabilize.

Double post