Best macro tracking app?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #12

Give us an update.

Maybe I’ll have to consider switching someday.

I’m too lazy to learn a new app, especially after I just took so much effort to finally figure out why MFP wasn’t linking to my FitBit. I’m too invested in it right now. :joy:

Thanks everyone! I downloaded all suggestions to see what works best for me. Appreciate it!

(less is more, more or less) #14

OK, cronometer, you’re singing to me so far. Rigorous compliance, total carbs. Good luck having this in the free tier of MFP, and I doubt faithful execution in the paid version. FTW.

03%20AM

To be continued…

(roxanna) #15

You can turn those notifications off.

(Ron) #16

I agree about singing the praises. I like Chronometer much more than MFP.:ok_hand:

(Deb) #17

I just started using Carb Manager.

And just broke a year long stall…if it helps you:

Cronometer here as well, cannot recommend highly enough. I paid for the app (not the subscription) and it’s worth it for the custom recipes/foods functionality alone. It’s constantly being updated and improved.

I use the app LoseIt! I started out with the free version, and after a week of using it, they sent me a message offering $10 off the $39.99 cost for the full blown/no ads version so I went for it. So far, I love it. I have been able to customize my goals to fit the ketogentic lifestyle and it gives you plenty of pie charts and bar graphs, all tracking all of the macros.

(less is more, more or less) #20

Hrm. Cronometer lacks a recipe importer, which will “scrape” a recipe from a provided URL and match ingredients, which MFP has. Most of what I eat is home-made. I do like that MFP feature.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #21

Do you know if it has a restaurant feature like MFP does where it uses your location and will pull up menu options?

(less is more, more or less) #22

That is handy on MFP. I don’t know.

My wife made delicious, pacific northwest wild salmon last night. Afterwards, I’d normally toss the skin to our dog, but not now. (Sorry, pooch) I coated a sheet of aluminum foil with olive oil, and convection-baked some salmon skin after dinner. So delicious. It is also not listed in cronometer.

<scrambles to find entry in MFP>

Well, what do you know? Nor does MFP. I’m that far off the radar?

If you are still looking I have used EasyDietDiary, it’s free and breaks down all your macros.

(less is more, more or less) #24

Yes-ish. Size of the user community is important to me. I informally use the “alterativeto” website to gauge popularity (yes, I’m sure my method is flawed) I don’t see EDD listed? https://alternativeto.net/software/myfitnesspal/

https://connect.easydietdiary.com

Haha I understand. I linked their website above.

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #26

My biggest challenge with these apps is that they (obviously) require you to put in precise grams for each portion of whatever you’re eating. Do you guys weigh? Do you eyeball it? What’s your method, pplz?

Like, I just had Chinese food for lunch. It was braised beef with a fried egg and some veggies (broccoli and cabbage, mainly.) No IDEA the precise numbers. (And, as always, praying that they were telling the truth when I asked if there was sugar in the sauce!)

(Subie Trei ) #28

I’m not sure what your food plan looks like but try back off any form of sugar (substitute or berries) and nut flours and reduce your protein portions and up your fat for a few days… Real foods only nothing processed or altered… See if that helps

(charlie3) #29

A $25 digital kitchen scale from Walmart takes care of the weighing and measuring. When I can’t get the food I want I don’t eat. I’ve already reduced the number of times I eat from 35 to 12 per week so skipping a meal is no big deal. I would never eat a restaurant meal as you described simply because I can’t know how many carbs slipped in there. I don’t worry about eating an unknown amount of fat or protein but I’ve got to know the carbs. 98% of the time I’m only eating food that I prepared so that I can know exactly what’s in there. Four and a half months into Keto I find careful tracking to be indispensable just for learning without regard to the long run.

(shane ) #30

You know you can track macros on Myfitnesspal without needing to pay anything right?

If you are using the APP version, hit Nutrition at the bottom of your food diary and then it will pull up a page that shows across the top: Calories Nutrients Macros.

Click the macros and there you go.

For free.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #31

After trying Cronometer for a little over a week, I have gone back to MFP.

The limited database of food is too much of a drawback for me.

(Championsidewinder) #32

Why is fitday in a different language?