Best macro tracking app?

The scale has been stagnant so I think I need to start tracking to monitor my calorie intake. I used to love MyFitnessPal but it is expensive to upgrade to track macros instead of just calories. What are the best free or inexpensive apps to track macros?

(Ron) #2

I use this one-

(less is more, more or less) #3

<tilts head> I use MFP to track macros on the free plan. My beef with MFP is that it insists on telling me when my saturated fat intake is high (which, for them, is every bloody meal) but I’m slumming for free.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #4

Yeah, I agree with @Screenack. I use the free version of MFP and track macros just fine.

The only issue is it won’t subtract fiber for net carbs unless the entry you pick has been entered in that way, and few of them are. So I end up tracking total carbs instead of net. This probably works to my advantage though as I still try to stay under 20. Though I won’t freak out if I go a little over on occasion, knowing a lot would be fiber.

(Jeff Gilbertson) #5

I never hear it mentioned, but I’ve been happiliy using it for years … fatsecret

(Rocky B) #6

I recently switched over from LiveStrong’s MyPlate to Cronometer. A huge improvement with much more information and options to customize that information.

(charlie3) #7

Cronometer

(Annalee Haley) #8

I used to use KetoDietApp but switched to Chronometer and LOVE it!

The free version of cronometer is better and more features than the paid version of MFP, highly recommended. A lot of people also like carb manager, but it more of a basic one and not as customizable.

(Pete A) #10

I use for free and am happy with Fitday, which also gives net carbs, a good output on nutritional intake and running totals:

https://www.fitday.com

(less is more, more or less) #11

I’ve been on MFP for years, but I’m so desperately tired of its AHA-hugging, SATURATED FATS WARNING! UI. The blog and forums are downright embarrassing – for them.

I’ll give cronometer a spin.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #12

Give us an update.

Maybe I’ll have to consider switching someday.

I’m too lazy to learn a new app, especially after I just took so much effort to finally figure out why MFP wasn’t linking to my FitBit. I’m too invested in it right now. :joy:

Thanks everyone! I downloaded all suggestions to see what works best for me. Appreciate it!

(less is more, more or less) #14

OK, cronometer, you’re singing to me so far. Rigorous compliance, total carbs. Good luck having this in the free tier of MFP, and I doubt faithful execution in the paid version. FTW.

03%20AM

To be continued…

(roxanna) #15

You can turn those notifications off.

(Ron) #16

I agree about singing the praises. I like Chronometer much more than MFP.:ok_hand:

(Deb) #17

I just started using Carb Manager.

And just broke a year long stall…if it helps you:

Cronometer here as well, cannot recommend highly enough. I paid for the app (not the subscription) and it’s worth it for the custom recipes/foods functionality alone. It’s constantly being updated and improved.

I use the app LoseIt! I started out with the free version, and after a week of using it, they sent me a message offering $10 off the $39.99 cost for the full blown/no ads version so I went for it. So far, I love it. I have been able to customize my goals to fit the ketogentic lifestyle and it gives you plenty of pie charts and bar graphs, all tracking all of the macros.

(less is more, more or less) #20

Hrm. Cronometer lacks a recipe importer, which will “scrape” a recipe from a provided URL and match ingredients, which MFP has. Most of what I eat is home-made. I do like that MFP feature.