Best Keto Ice Cream -- please post recipes / links

(Mary) #3

I’ve been making this one:
2 eggs
1/2 c erythritol
1 t salt
1 t vanilla
1 tbsp alcohol (to keep it from freezing solid)
1 can coconut cream
2 c hwc
flavourings (coco powder, coffee, berries, etc)
Whiz it all up in a blender then pour into ice cream machine.
It’s pretty darn good…

Thanks! I’m making this next as I have all the ingredients. For alcohol do you use vodka, or pure grain alcohol?

(Mary) #5

I used whiskey 'cause that’s what I had… Vodka would probably be better, though, because it doesn’t have a taste.

Buying this today, thanks!

Although this is green tea flavour, I use the same base to make vanilla without the green tea obviously!

I like a multi-tasking recipe and also and easy recipe. As you can see… same base!

I keep meaning to do a taste comparison with making custard first then ice cream rather than just dumping the raw ingredients in but the latter has ice cream in your bowl in 30 minutes so always wins out!

(Retta Stephenson) #8

Here is a good conversation about ice cream, including talk about the Carrie Brown ice cream recipes and others share their easy go-to ice cream recipes and tips:

(Tammy) #9

Oh WOW! I never thought of using the alcohol! I make homemade Kefir ice cream, but I still run in to the same problem of it being too hard. Definitely adding a shot of Jim Beam to the next batch!:rofl: Thanks a bunch!

(Mary) #10

Hi Tammy,
Just watch the amount you use - too little and you still get a block of ice; too much and you get slush. I’m finding about a tbsp (1/2 a shot?) per litre to be about right.

(TJ Borden) #11

Well that’s not enough to get a buzz. I was all excited to add liquor to ice cream.

(Tammy) #12

Thanks for the info. I appreciate your help. I’ll try a 1/2 shot and work it out from there. Looking forward to the outcome. Ice cream has been my Achilles heel! And thrilled to have found a way to be healthy AND have it too!

Great info, thanks!

I still have a batch in the freezer that I can hammer nails with.

Alright @Countdown2020 – I just added a Tbsp of rum to my last recipe and, whatever happens, I’m blaming you.

I figure there are two possible outcomes: (1) concrete, or (2) soup

(Mary) #15

Or it could be a little pile of frozen, creamy perfection… :grin:

How did it work?

@Chellb - in order to answer this question, I will be forced to eat ice cream for breakfast. However, I’m willing to do so in the interest of advancing culinary science.

For this test, I added a tablespoon of rum to a half recipe of the vanilla ice cream recipe from Martina Slajerova’s Sweet & Savory Fat Bombs book. Per @Countdown2020 , it came out of the ice cream maker as a pile of frozen creamy perfection and nearly did not make it into the freezer. But the question is how is it after 12 hours in the freezer.

So the answer is … drumroll please … survey sez … (honk) … Hard As My Head! Oh well, I guess I will have to eat the evidence, once I find my chisel.

Next Test: I assembled the recipe that Mary posted above and it’s cooling in the fridge while my ice cream maker refreezes. I’ll turn it out this afternoon and report results tomorrow.

(Brian) #18

LOL!! Yup. It’s kinda like the avocado… not ripe yet, not ripe yet, not ripe yet, not ripe yet, not ripe yet, not ripe yet, not ripe yet, not ripe yet, ripe, spoiled.

Only in this case, it’s concrete, concrete, concrete, concrete, concrete, concrete, concrete, concrete, concrete, concrete, ice cream, soup.

(Mary) #19

Morning Dave,
I’m so glad to hear that your ice cream was a success. Re: ice cream for breakfast - you’re so selfless to take one for the team :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
You could try just a titch more alcohol in the next batch in order for it not to freeze too hard overnight. The next morning, mine is hard but still somewhat scoopable. And it doesn’t take long to become more like soft ice cream.
I’m really, really pleased with the recipe.

(TJ Borden) #20

Thanks for your sacrifice

How selfless of you to have ice cream for breakfast. Hope your next experiment is more successful.

OK @Countdown2020 Mary – here’s the next chapter in The Knucklehead Diaries – I made the recipe you posted above with one substitution – I was out of coconut milk so I substituted unsweetened vanilla almond milk. For the alcohol, I used rum again.

By the way, my blender is on the fritz but I figured no problem, I’ll use the food processor. The ingredients barely fit but I figured no problem, that’s what the lid is for.

I can’t fully recall the sequence of the events that followed, everything happened so fast. Apparently, if you whip heavy whipping cream, it whips up and increases in volume. I figured no problem, that’s what mops and window squeegees are for. And I wonder why my wife leaves the house when I start to cook.

I blame Mary for failing to include “WARNING: Men who have no business being in a kitchen are advised not to substitute a food processor for a blender, you idiot.”

Anyway, during clean-up operations, I was pleased to discover that, miraculously, some of the mixture was still IN the food processor, so I popped it in the fridge overnight. I just got done putting it through the ice-cream maker and I have a NEWSFLASH!! - this Keto ice cream actually tastes like real ice cream! Maybe using real cream has something to do with it.

It came out a little softer than the last batch, which is encouraging. I’ll leave it in overnight, and for the sake of experimental consistency, I guess I’ll have to have it for breakfast again.