Best Keto Advice for a Newbie

It’s like me and dry fast :smiley: I never ever would try it, it sounds insane to me and I am not interested to learn more but whenever I read about it, my mouth suddenly becomes parched and I need to go and drink A LOT.

Forced fasts sound so very wrong to me… If I get hungry, I eat, it’s basic. I think I’ve read one can ease into it… I skipped even that but I am usually good with tiny fasts and big meals that satiate me for long so fasts naturally happen, that’s nice. Many meals as a norm sounds uncomfortable but each to their own, surely.

I think that is smart in that I think a lot of us want to do what others do, like IF and they are so comfortable with it and I think, I should be able to follow that, but in the end, I think we have to truly walk our own path on it. A path that suits us and doesn’t work against us. Great post G!!

(Paulene ) #43

Really?! Is this true? I haven’t heard this before. Even the evil chemicals ones like cyclamate and acesulphame potassium? (They are in my diet jelly and I am really not ready to give then up just now :cold_sweat:)

(Stella) #44

Pork rinds???..as in the ones that come in bags in the chips section of the supermarket. That’s allowed in the keto plan?

From what I’ve read, Marianne, after the first two days of fasting there’s a clear improvement in how difficult it feels, so maybe consider either lengthening the fast or sticking instead to timed eating/OMAD? Both Jason Fung and Peter Attia have very interesting, detailed information on this subject.
But note I’ve said “from what I’ve read” because I have NOT tried a several-day fast (regularly do timed eating however). For whatever reason – emotional, not logical – it frightens me!

@StellaH
Just check the bag to see if any carbs have been added. Some pork rinds are treated with carbs. If not then yeah- pork rinds are carb free usually.

I am absolutely sure that I will NOT force myself to fast.
Either it comes naturally or not at all.

(mole person) #48

As I said, every one tested for an insulin response has shown one. And they aren’t minimal either. However, I don’t know specifically if the ones you’ve mentioned have been tested. The thing is though, that the physiological response is associated with the sweetness itself, which is why none of these are really any good and are more associated in the literature with weight gain than loss. Our digestive tract has receptors that respond to sweetness in locations other than our mouths and the calorie free sweeteners bind to these receptors exactly the same way that glucose and fructose do causing higher insulin, increased glucose uptakes, and slowed fat catabolism.

However, all that being said, if the sweeteners are actually helping you stay on track and lose some weight that you think you couldn’t lose without them then they may still be a positive for you. We shouldn’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Yes, your weight losses may be slower than if you had nothing sweet in your diet, but they will be faster than if you fall off the wagon. So it’s up to you what you think that you need.

But, if you stall out while using sweeteners, and want your losses to continue more than you want the sweeteners, then it’s a likely culprit.

(Dorian Mihai) #49

Hi Stegabyte, since you love meat -> keto diet is the way for you. It is a change of mindset that you need to do, and this was for me the biggest challange, to reduce alot the carbs. You do not need to starve yourself, eat calories-wise as you would normaly do, but reduce toa maximum the carbs and increase the fat, with moderate protein.
I have lost 25kgs in 3 years with keto diet and accompanied with sports.
You will have to keep in mind that the body will adapt to the new conditions, so from time to time you will plateau, so you will have to modify the diet or the sports intensity.

Regards,
Dorian

(Richard Hanson) #50

Chantarella,

We drink wine all the time, likely close to two hundred bottles a year, to hell with occasionally.

Remember:

1. alcohol is an energy source - you are drinking lots of calories.
  2. on keto … you will get tips easy.

When you are in Rioja, you might see if you can find a bottle that has a lot of graciano (pronounced grathiano with a th sound).

A glass of a dry red wine will have almost no carbs with typically less then 2g/L of R.S., less then 0.5g/glass. All of the 6 carbon hexose sugars will have been turned into alcohol by fermentation, but there will always be some minor amounts of residual sugars, primarily 5 carbon pentose sugars such as arabinose, xylose and rhamnose which are not fermentable. Any glass of wine that has 4g of sugar, greater then 20g/L of R.S. will be quite noticeably sweet in the mouth. Just spit that junk out.

Santé

Keto for Life,
Richard

(Rebecca ) #51

I say if you really want the Diet Coke, then have one. There are some other sodas that use natural sweeteners instead of artificial. “Virgils” “Zevia” and “Blue Sky Zero”. All 3 have a cola, as well as other flavors. In my past, I drank Diet Dr Pepper and realized the aspartame was causing me a lot of detriment. This is only my experience…everyone is different.
I also make a drink with 12 oz sparkling mineral water, 2 T apple cider vinegar, 2 t lime juice and 12 drops stevia extract. Its fizzy and tasty, and refreshing!! Good luck!!

@FatMan
Good grief- the news just keeps getting better and better. I dont want my friends to sit there with their wine and I am having water. Thats no fun. SO great news!
What exactly does “graciano” mean?

(Richard Hanson) #53

Graciano is a varietal grown in Rioja. It is heavily pigmented and adds a lot of complexity to the typical Tempranillo / Grenache red blends of Spain. It serves the same purpose as Petit Verdot in Bordeaux blends or a Touriga Nacional in the wines of the Douro and Dão regions of Portugal.

I truly hope you find a good taste of Graciano on your trip to Rioja.

Keto for Life,
Richard

@FatMan
How am I supposed to know? Does it say “graciano” on the label? Its nice of you to explain so intricately- but man- if it doesn’t say so somewhere on the bottle- how am I supposed to find it?

(Richard Hanson) #55

It will likely be on the label but I would just ask. I have an export bottle with the label printed in English that I found domestically.

If I remember, and that can be a bit problematic, it was in the $30 range. There are a lot of good values coming out of Spain, Portugal and Italy.

Keto for Life,
Richard

(Paulene ) #56

Same here. OMAD - easy. But the idea of 3-4 days made my head swim… until this past week. I summed up the courage to do a fat fast. Was going to be Mon-Thurs, but I caved on Monday - not an auspicious start :smirk: . Started again Tues and fin Thurs evening, no probs at all! I wanted to keep going til Fri night but it was my sons birthday Thurs night so I ended with a feast. I lost 2kg this past week and I think fasting was a big part of that. Dont know for sure so I’m going to try it again.

(Terri) #57

Red wine is ok??

@Terrim
I see you have just started? I dont think I would drink wine from the beginning. Maybe try to become fat adapted first. That can take around 3 months or more. Then later what I would do is count the carbs in a glass of red wine.

(Paulene ) #59

Yes, it is. But 5g is still a big chunk out of the daily carb allowance (and who has just 1 glass?! Not me.) So as @Chantarella suggests, it’s prob best to wait untill fully fat adapted and a bit more metabolically flexible.

(Richard Hanson) #60

Almost any decent red wine will have almost no carbs.

Most of the wines out of Bordeaux are, on average, just 1 to 2 g of carbs per L. That is about 1/4 to 1/2 g per glass. Drink dry red whines, good wine, not the stuff from a gas station. You could easily die of alcohol poisoning before getting 10g of carbs from a decent dry red wine.

Keto for Life,
Richard