Beginning an exercise regime

Try jumping rope. Just how bad are your knees? Are you heavy? need surgery? If I put heating pads on my knees for an hour they feel better for quite a few days. It’s hard to make suggestions when we dont know what your true situation is. The point is to get your heart rate up and jumping rope will do that in a hurry and you dont bend your knees. Burpees are great as well. I just started those a month ago.

Push ups and exercise bands are good as well.

There are also a LOT of YouTube channels that specialize in body-weight exercises (gymless)

(Robert C) #11

You should do some strength training so you are toned at goal weight.

As well, just about any weight loss will have accompanying muscle loss - strength training just to keep what you have is a good idea also.

Since you don’t go to gyms…Google “body weight exercises” and/or make a small investment in a few dumbbells or resistance bands (both take up very little space - I think resistance bands are better but they initially take practice to get benefits).

Here is what I mean by resistance bands:
https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Resistance-Stackable-Exercise-Portable/dp/B078T3PL13/ref=sr_1_17?crid=3BLIUU05L7HUF&keywords=resistance+bands&qid=1552707014&s=gateway&sprefix=re%2Caps%2C211&sr=8-17

Contrary to what others are saying, I would skip dancing, walking etc. anything knee related until the weight was near goal - that is what your knee has to handle. The “move more” part is not Keto and not worth risk of injury. For example, if my knees hurt, I would not pick that time to wear a 50 pound weight vest.

(Brenna) #12

@RobC, I’m not at goal weight. did you mean do weight training until I’m at goal weight?

those stretch bands do look good, I have to admit. I just lost my first 10 pounds, and probably have another 90 to lose. I can’t imagine life without dancing but I might take it easy on the dance classes, and focus on the bands.

(Robert C) #13

@Littlerose84 - Yes, I meant start now so that you retain muscle while losing fat but also, when you get to goal weight, you have more tone and less (typical after large weight loss) flab.

Right now that extra 90 pounds could seriously cause a knee problem that necessitates stopping the dancing, walking etc. for a while. Then you are set up for a weight rebound due to becoming depressed about it.

Also, endurance type exercises (other than maybe just walking) will drive hunger - any calories you burn may get consumed (and more) on an “eat to satiety” diet like Keto. A 90 pound weight loss is much more likely to be successful focusing on Keto and fasting - and doing strength training - not to burn calories but just to develop a nice frame for your goal weight (and to add flexibility while avoiding injury).

(Pete A) #14

This for me is key, expectations that can be met. Being set up for success. Even on my worst days I can do 15 minutes of anything (lift or yoga or cardio or stretching).

On my best days I will do each, plus.

That and consistency and having a regular “routine” of anything allows you to grow into it! :grinning:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #15

I have a temperamental lower back so I stick with walking, standing and lifting hand weights, modified yoga. I also remember this thread, might be useful to ask him:

(Allan Misner) #16

I agree with Rob. You should be doing both and the resistance bands are a great tool (just use them carefully with proper anchor and grip).

The knee pain on the bike could be one of two things: 1) an injury or 2) you don’t have the seat set right. If it is an injury, you should go see an orthopedic doctor and potentially a physical therapist. The pain you feel now while on the bike could eventually affect you during other activities (walking, dancing). If it isn’t an injury, I could talk you through how to set the seat height.

With any fatigue issue, it is important to know whether it is physical, nutritional, or hormonal. If you have some idea about the cause, we can dive deeper into strategies to address. In the meantime, just push to the line but not over it. I’m pretty sure you’ve found that line while dancing. Flirt with that line during your cardio sessions, just stay on the south side of it.

('Jackie P') #17

I do Darcy Bussell’s Pilates for Life 3 x a week and 10 - 20 minutes Dance that Walk dvd 2 - 3 x a week. I dont like going to the gym and prefer to do my excercise in my pjs before I get ready for the day.
Quite often, in the evening I will put on some music and dance like a drunken mum ( no Im not), just to use up any excess energy!
Once or twice a week I will walk with a friend, not too taxing 3 - 5 miles.
All seems to work for me. The Pilates doubles as mindfulness keeping me chilled!
Whatever you do, enjoy it.

My resistance band “Gym” and how I attach them to the two rails on the wall but you dont NEED the rail

You could just about tow a car with that carabiner rated at 4k lbs

('Jackie P') #19

Blimey! Looks more like a dodgy S&M dungeon!

Shhh, whisper when you say that.

Sometimes it FEELS like that :muscle:

('Jackie P') #21

:relieved:Is that an order?

(Bunny) #22

I have followed Dr. Berg’s recommendations for years and it goes something like this:

Over-exercising is just going to keep cortisol levels high and no body fat ever gets burned even with low insulin or a ketogenic diet, then their is the estrogen molecule which is the least of the big 3 fat blocking hormones!

The only way to defeat that cortisol and leptin resistance (if T3 is high?), that I know of is HIIT.

I like to use an elliptical cross training machine for HIIT to defeat both cortisol and leptin resistance! I bought my own elliptical for $2800 because it really does work for me!

Short burst high intensity interval exercising e.g. 5 sets for 5 or 10 minutes a day or every other day what ever you feel you can handle? (DO NOT EXERCISE ANY MORE THAN THAT A DAY IF YOU WANT TO BURN BODY FAT?)

Exercising for hours on end will just defeat your goal of burning body fat unless your into building bigger muscles?

Experiment and see what works for you?

Also wanted to mention be mindful of your internal circadian clock; always exercise after 5:00 PM so when you go to sleep at night your HGH will be a lot higher from exercising and burning the body fat while you sleep and then starts to decline throughout the day and won’t be blocked by high cortisol levels if you try working out in the morning or afternoon?

Most of that sounds good but it seems totally unnatural to exercise after 5pm, What are we humans suppose to be doing all day long. We were never meant to be office workers sitting in front of computers, we were agricultural or hunter gatherers.

(Bunny) #24

You may find this interesting:

I read that somewhere as well but I don’t really think it’s agriculture that’s the problem. We use to work real hard to plow field behind oxen and draft horses. It’s the processing of that food in factories that the real problem and the mechanization of farming and the fact that we don’t even walk or ride horses any more or tend to animals with physical labor and we eat SUGAR. If he had worked hard and eaten unprocessed foods we would all have remained keto adapted, all the but affluent that is. As someone else wrote, it’s the diseases of the affluent that even poor people are dying of now. It use to be that foods were rough enough to wear our teeth down and we kept most of them till wee died. If not for modern dentistry I would have lost all my teeth long ago with the high carb diet I’ve been eating and once you’ve lost your teeth all you eat is soft foods.

Hard physical labor prevents insulin resistance and controls appetite. We eat now because we get bored . . . and we have fruit and sugar available to us all year round . . . the diseases if affluence. Heck, we use to have to pump water by hand and milk cows instead of driving to the store.

(Bunny) #26

Unnatural Hmmm?

Jonathan Zerbin really has a point, extremely fascinating and thought provoking article below?

And I believe to be correct? I notice the same 4 hour patterns in my own natural sleeping patterns?

Sleeping every 4 hours (bi-phasic-circadian-rhythm) waking up for a while then sleeping again is most likely the primordial way our ancestors did this thing we call sleep rather than a straight through 8 hours of sleep without being attacked or eaten alive? 8 hours of sleep sounds more like the perfect game for dinner? Or you missing out on wild game?

If you really think about it, your going to get a double triple doses of the good bio-physio-chemical and healing processes that occur from sleeping within shorter periods of time?

Maybe our hunter gatherer foraging ancestors did every thing night and day not just by sunlight as our modern industrialized fortified world would have us thinking???

Supercharge your health by sleeping less – Polyphasic sleep & it’s effects on cortisol

(Brenna) #27

so I am having a hard time finding good workouts without any lunges. Which is really frustrating.

a lot of beginner workouts by Fitness Blender and Hasfit don’t seem so beginner friendly to me. I might try pilates or barre.

That graph looks like my sleep pattern except that I wake up on all those REM peaks.

I dont see why we need to avoid the cortisol peak in the other graph. Cortisol is not a boogeyman just because it’s associated with stress. Stress is not all it’s involved with.

https://www.hormone.org/hormones-and-health/hormones/cortisol

Why is that frustrating? Just don’t do the lunges…