Been on Keto for over a month now. Why am I still so stinking tired?

(Joy Cho) #41

I suppose I need to get a current blood test. Mine is 3 months old right now. The vitamin D is under control with the supplementation. My doctor thought it was too soon cuz she knows the readings will be through the roof since I was only 2 weeks on keto when I saw her. She doesn’t agree with the WOE, but stated her father follows that WOE and he is healthy. She doesn’t agree with fatty bacon and fat in general, but isn’t against keto especially if it’s helping me get my appetite under control. I’ll be seeing her in March. I’m curious to see how I’m doing with this WOE at that time. I doubt I’ll see those miraculous 60 pound lost like some of the other folks, but any is definitely better than none!

what was your last level? Keto won’t really change D.

(Kathy L) #43

Me too - every time I try & figure it out I think I have it & then a comment on a podcast confuses me. For 1g per kg of LBM -I should have around 70 g. Protein. I try to convert that to oz, (28 /oz?) I should have about 2.5 oz per day ( doesn’t seem like right) NOW I recently heard something that makes me think different protein sources ( chicken, beef, fish etc) have different amounts of protein in them. someone please clarify! ( maybe should have started new topic)

(David K) #44

Yep, each will have differing levels of protein and fat. E.g., a rib eye will have a different protein/fat ratio than chicken breast for the same portion.

As a reference:

(Kel Ta) #45

yeah it’s not fun is it? but keep on keeping on-you’ll get through it eventually as you experiment. I cannot emphasize the electrolytes enough. Unfortunately for me I am unbelievably sensitive to carbs such that what other folks can eat I cannot.

(Larry Lustig) #46

Yes, few foods are 100% made up of a single macro nutrient. Most “protein foods” are only 25% to 40% protein. Therefore 70 grams of protein is 200-300 grams of a protein food – or one half to three quarters of a pound.

Also remember that your lean body mass is only approximate and there’s no agreement on exactly what multiple you should use to calculate protein, so the number is never very precise.

(Kathy L) #47

Thank you -I will be forever confused I think! Just wish I could say I should keep protein to “x” oz per day.
If I should keep it to 70g -is there a target OUNCE limit I should aim for?

(Human) #48

Meat is generally about 1/4 protein by weight so a 4oz steak is about 1oz protein.

(Kathy L) #49

So if I’m hoping to reach 70 g of protein I could eat approx 280 oz? (17 lb?) sorry -I’m really trying to understand this!! [quote=“Jason, post:48, topic:4844, full:true”]
Meat is generally about 1/4 protein by weight so a 4oz steak is about 1oz protein.
[/quote]

(Human) #50

To get 70g of protein you would want to eat about 280g of meat.

280g is about 10oz

But remember that’s if you only ate meat. There’s protein in cheese and veg and eggs etc etc too

There’s an app called my fitness pal that you can put all your food into and it tells you the breakdown, I just use it occasionally to get an idea of what am ideal day should look like on a plate.

(Guardian of the bacon) #51

They really needed to do a better job teaching metric conversion in schools.

(David K) #52

And will also vary based on the meat.

(Joy Cho) #53

Agreed!

(Kerri Hines) #54

I know someone that has that happen too and she called the doctor to ask about lowering the meds. The doctor told her she needed to stop her crazy diet because it was making her blood pressure too low… :joy::rofl::joy::rofl:
So she quit the meds and all was well. Of course…

(Jeff Ryan) #55

Are you lean?

I had the same experience. The only reason why I kept feeling sleepy was because I was already lean and had no fat to lose after losing 12kg. So if you got no more fat to burn your body starts to shutdown.

So I just started having my bigger meals earlier on the day and stopped having coffee before any meal.

So far that’s helped me on my keto journey.

(Morgan Rose) #57

How do u know if you should take a magnesium supplement or a potassium supplement? Like how do u decide :open_mouth::hushed::nerd_face:

(Joy Cho) #58

How I wish I was lean! I have been learning so much about myself and the food I’m eating for fuel! I’d unintentionally thrown myself out of ketosis by eating something with a questionable ingredient (carb or sugar). This typically occurs when I eat out. I’m learning I need to ask more questions and be a PITA to keep myself fat adapted. However, I make sure I tip well for the trouble!!! LOL
I also learned yesterday that I haven’t been eating enough protein. This is because I haven’t been tracking my macros. I also seem to be super sensitive to carbs and need to limit my veggies to remain fat adapted. I suppose I’m a fat eating carnivore at this point! I’m happy to report that my energy is great and after 6 weeks I’m down 16 pounds today!!! Yay me!!!

(Joy Cho) #59

Brenda Zorn shared what she takes for potassium and magnesium supplementation in a former post. Since I started the supplementation for these minerals, my mild muscle cramps are finally under control. Lite salt has potassium in it (think there’s magnesium in it too). I also take a magnesium supplement just in case. I figure I will expel what my body doesn’t need…

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #60

I took a look at my diet. Then the recommended amounts we supposedly need daily. The ketoaide I mix up is only a supplement to the foods I eat, because it really does not contain a huge amount of electrolytes. I figure it can’t hurt to add some. From what I’ve read, many do not get enough magnesium, so I take a magnesium malate tablet as well. Potassium requirements are approx 4500 mg a day but I get much of that in leafy greens and red meat.

(Joy Cho) #61

Thank you, Brenda!