Been on Keto for over a month now. Why am I still so stinking tired?

(Joy Cho) #1

Hello and Happy New Year! I’ve been on Keto since the start of December. I’ve had some bad moments (involuntary/voluntary cheats) at the very beginning and know that eating carbage isn’t helping me and my health improvement goals and I have those desires absolutely under control. I’m not hungry so I don’t eat which is something I’ve never experienced before! I love this WOE!!!

Here’s my current dilemma. I’m so stinking tired!!! All of the time! I can never get enough sleep! I read that if you’re energy levels are low to eat fat. This morning I had some chicken bone broth with butter and coconut oil and took the kids to school. I felt so sleepy behind the wheel and I haven’t felt like that in years. I came home and made myself some BPC, but I’m still sooooo tired. I added salt to both my broth and coffee. I feel nauseated and don’t feel like eating especially since I’m not hungry and I always used to be hungry. It seems that I typically eat once a day and sometimes twice a day.

What gives? What am I missing? I am taking daily vitamins, my high blood pressure and cholesterol meds. Do I need to also supplement with magnesium and potassium? I’ve been getting plenty of fluids. I don’t feel like I caught some bug. Am I still converting to fat burning? Feeling confused but not giving up. Thank you in advance!

(G. Andrew Duthie) #2

If you started in December, and haven’t been solidly practicing keto throughout that period, you are probably still experiencing keto flu.

Yes, adding electrolytes can help with some symptoms of keto flu, so consider adding that (do a search for Ketoaid in the box at the top of the forums…that’s one way to get them in). Some folks also take some bone broth, with a little added salt & fat, to help.

Keep the carbs below 20g/day, sufficient protein, and fat to satiety. Keep doing that. If you go another month and still having issues, then you might look at what else to change.

Fat adaptation isn’t instant. And it takes longer for some folks than for others. You’ll start to feel it once you’re fully fat-adapted. Hang in there.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #3

Moving to the Newbies category, BTW.

Check the FAQ and pinned posts there (and in the subcategories) for good info.

(Joy Cho) #4

I appreciate your fast response! I’ll check out KetoAid!! Thanks again!

(Jessica K) #5

Is it possible that you just aren’t eating enough? It’s great to not eat when you aren’t hungry, but you should still be getting in your minimum amount of calories to function!

(Mike W.) #6

I found that was my problem. I just stopped eating, Wasn’t consuming NEARLY enough calories just to function. I’m doing better about it now.

(Joy Cho) #7

Hmmm…not eating enough as a possible reason? Please excuse my ignorance since I’m still learning about keto. I should still eat my daily macros whether I’m hungry or not? Couldn’t my lack of appetite/hunger be bridged as a quasi-fast?

(Morgan Rose) #8

I had the same problem!
Just stick it out, its probably keto flu! Just push through it. Add some BPC in the am add extra butter or for me I added MCT oil and just in a couple days made the difference for me. I’ve been doing keto 26 days strict of 25 under net carb and I’m probably not fat adapted yet. So just keep it up!! Let us know if your sleepiness continues!!

Are you getting enough sleep in general? My sleep schedule was a little wacky lol

(Joy Cho) #9

I “think” I’m getting enough sleep (between 6 - 8 hours). Perhaps I’m shorting myself, but don’t all parents of under aged children have that challenge?! LOL I get to sleep in once a week if I’m lucky and that’s on Saturdays if we don’t have anything scheduled.

Are you willing to share what are the typical foods you eat in your meals? You shared your BPC, Broth, butter supplementation. The question is, what do you normally eat?

For me, the types of keto meals make a difference. Macro wise, they all have similar grams of protein, fat and carbs. But, my guess is the difference in nutrients makes a big impact on how I feel. For me, wild caught fish & seafood, grass fed beef, free range pork is top of my list. For vegetables, dark green leaf and bitter leafy veg, like rapini, broccolini, Tuscan black kale, chicory, asparagus, Swiss chard, arugula, spinach…works the best for me. Foods that don’t seem to give me that power are chicken, turkey, eggs, cheese…yes, I eat them because they are yummy…but I know I cannot make them the main feature in my WOE.

Oh yeah…I forgot to mention…I like eating liver, and other “nasty bits”. Loads of nutrients that are low or absent in typical proteins. I usually make sure I eat liver at least once per two weeks. And it’s a substantial portion, not just a mini appetizer.

This works for me…I hope you discover what works for you. I suggest looking into your ancestral background and discover what your ancestors ate. I am of italian background, so I indulge in what they ate.

(David K) #11

Believe it or not, not eating enough is worse than not eating anything at all. My wife had similar issues, I started looking at her logs and she was in the ~600 Cal range because she was simply not hungry. She bumped it up to ~1200 and the weight started coming off. (she was 5’6, 250lbs at the time)

Wife is doing it all correctly, but meter says differently
(Zach) #12

As others have said, make sure you are not restricting calories to start with. I know I had to force myself to eat enough when I was first starting out. When I was not fully fat adapted, I bonked continuously.

(Joy Cho) #13

Thanks for all of your replies! It’s most like likely that I’m not eating enough!!! Time to get some food in my belly!!! Happy Tuesday!

(RavenRed) #14

How is the quality of your sleep? I used to think I slept like the dead until my SO mentioned that I was flailing around in bed and it turned out I had severe sleep apnea. While I don’t want to discount anything that is being said about reaching fat adaptation and electrolytes, considering your quality of sleep and any potential issues couldn’t hurt! Best of luck!

(Joy Cho) #15

Up until not feeling hungry, I’d eat a bacon, egg and cheese fritatta fried up in bacon grease. If I wanted extra fat, I’d add half to a whole avocado. That would typically tide me over until late afternoon. I may get hungry around 5 pm. If I’m thinking of food, which is rare now, I’ll have a fat bomb or sip on salted bone broth with butter and coconut oil. I sometimes do that if I’m craving something warm and comforting to drink. Dinner the other night was “spaghetti” with ground turkey, Rao’s tomato sauce, spices and cheese over lightly sauteed zucchini and yellow squash zoodles in salted butter. I think I overate on the zucchini and yellow squash. They were so delicious! Could those have taken me out of ketosis? Maybe I’m eating too much in 1 sitting? And yes. I did have seconds cuz that sauce was so yum with the zoodles…

(Joy Cho) #16

I don’t have sleep apnea. I am a bit of a light sleeper cuz of the kids though. Maybe I’m not getting enough zzzzzs? I’ll hit the hay early tonight and take a 5-HTP to help me with my date with Mr. Sandman…

@jkungcho,

Ok, thanks for that…really good info and data now to provide a few insights or suggestions :slight_smile:

Here is what I think may be going on that is sabotaging your keto journey:

1. I suspect you are eating too many carbs. If not doing so already, log your food meticulously, and measure (by weight and/or volume). This is not something you will do forever (maybe or maybe not?)…in fact, I don’t do it now. But, for the first month, I had to do it because I needed to learn what 20 grams net carbs look like. I suspect you kick yourself out of ketosis overeating carbs.
  2. make sure you get 1 to 1.5 grams protein per kg lean body mass. You are putting a lot of strain on your body if you aren’t getting enough protein. I feel like crap when I don’t eat enough protein. Also, when you eat protein, make sure it is combined with fats…don’t eat protein alone…like munching on chicken breast without anything else…it can be very insulinogenic. This happens to me. Potential problem for you?
  3. I think if you make sure you eat enough protein, and limit to 20 net carbs, you will be ok. If you are still hungry and met your protein and net carbs limit, eat fat to satiety.
  4. you may need to experiment with artificial sweeteners. If your fat bombs are made with things like Splenda, Stevia, or whatever, it is possible that they are promoting insulin secretion. I cannot touch artificial sweeteners…they kick me out of ketosis…but, many other people are perfectly fine with them. With some people, one type of sweetener are ok,while other types don’t work. Perhaps something to keep an eye on.

I hope this helps. Keep us posted on your progress. Would love to see how you will figure this out. We are here to help and provide support.

(Joy Cho) #18

Thank you so very much, Fiorella! This is extremely helpful for me! I suspected that I was overdoing it with carbs. The fat with protein isn’t an issue, but I probably am not eating enough protein. I was also questioning my use of sweetener. My fat bombs are made with Swerve and Equal since that’s what I had in my house. Perhaps I had too many fat bombs (sweetener) which also hurt my ketosis? Thanks again!!!

Are you monitoring your blood pressure? Some people experience a significant drop when they start keto.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #20

In my case, there’s a definite relationship with salt intake. If I’m low on salt, BP tends to go low.