Been on Keto for over a month now. Why am I still so stinking tired?

(Kerri Hines) #54

I know someone that has that happen too and she called the doctor to ask about lowering the meds. The doctor told her she needed to stop her crazy diet because it was making her blood pressure too low… :joy::rofl::joy::rofl:
So she quit the meds and all was well. Of course…

(Jeff Ryan) #55

Are you lean?

I had the same experience. The only reason why I kept feeling sleepy was because I was already lean and had no fat to lose after losing 12kg. So if you got no more fat to burn your body starts to shutdown.

So I just started having my bigger meals earlier on the day and stopped having coffee before any meal.

So far that’s helped me on my keto journey.

(Morgan Rose) #57

How do u know if you should take a magnesium supplement or a potassium supplement? Like how do u decide :open_mouth::hushed::nerd_face:

(Joy Cho) #58

How I wish I was lean! I have been learning so much about myself and the food I’m eating for fuel! I’d unintentionally thrown myself out of ketosis by eating something with a questionable ingredient (carb or sugar). This typically occurs when I eat out. I’m learning I need to ask more questions and be a PITA to keep myself fat adapted. However, I make sure I tip well for the trouble!!! LOL
I also learned yesterday that I haven’t been eating enough protein. This is because I haven’t been tracking my macros. I also seem to be super sensitive to carbs and need to limit my veggies to remain fat adapted. I suppose I’m a fat eating carnivore at this point! I’m happy to report that my energy is great and after 6 weeks I’m down 16 pounds today!!! Yay me!!!

(Joy Cho) #59

Brenda Zorn shared what she takes for potassium and magnesium supplementation in a former post. Since I started the supplementation for these minerals, my mild muscle cramps are finally under control. Lite salt has potassium in it (think there’s magnesium in it too). I also take a magnesium supplement just in case. I figure I will expel what my body doesn’t need…

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #60

I took a look at my diet. Then the recommended amounts we supposedly need daily. The ketoaide I mix up is only a supplement to the foods I eat, because it really does not contain a huge amount of electrolytes. I figure it can’t hurt to add some. From what I’ve read, many do not get enough magnesium, so I take a magnesium malate tablet as well. Potassium requirements are approx 4500 mg a day but I get much of that in leafy greens and red meat.

(Joy Cho) #61

Thank you, Brenda!

Just be a little careful with potassium - too much can be an issue. It is harder to take too much magnesium, as in the effects won’t be too significant. Try to get the max from your food if at all possible. Things like muscle cramps and restless legs are usually magnesium and certainly what I would try first.

(Morgan Rose) #63

Thank you @Brenda and @Daisy :hugs::hugs:

(Merete C) #64

Magnesium is important to the bodily functions (See below). You can measure it in the blood to see if it is low or you can look up magnesium deficiency on the internet and see if you fit any of the symptoms.
My advice is to take a supplement AND get as much from your diet as possible, especially if you like many of us have eaten incorrectly, taken medication, had alcohol and been under stress which all depletes magnesium.
How much to take is easy to measure (and it depends on the kind of magnesium), because when you have taken more than your body can absorb you will experience loose stools. Then cut back the dose until you become “normal”. With healing and healthy diet you may experience that you can actually put up the dose, because your gut becomes able to absorb the magnesium (happened for me with LCHF).
Sorry for this being a bit lengthy, but I am a huge fan of magnesium. I will finish with a quote from wikipedia:
“Magnesium is a co-factor in over 300 functions in the body regulating many kinds of biochemical reactions. It is involved in protein synthesis, muscle and nerve functioning, bone development, energy production, the maintenance of normal heart rhythm, and the regulation of glucose and blood pressure, among other important roles.” THIS STUFF IS NEEDED IN EVERY CELL!

(Kel Ta) #65

If you are eating very low carb, few green veggies and nuts and mostly beef, chicken or pork and you are not eating much offal like liver, kidney and thymus you may not be getting enough electrolytes. Your body will excrete what it does not use and you do not want to get to the point where you are experiencing a deficit like leg cramping, rapid heart beat, anxiety and fatigue. The only supplement that does not give me problems with my digestion (and I tried all of them) is magnesium potassium aspartate by country life.

(Kel Ta) #66

How is it going Joy- did you find the right balance lately? Yeah you need magnesium and potassium both and you will excrete what you do not use in your urine.

(Joy Cho) #67

Hello Ketana!! I’m doing well and have found my balance! I’m down 18 pounds since I started December 5. I won’t be surprised if I hit the 20 pound mark by February 5, yet won’t be disappointed if I don’t. I’ve got lots of stress going on right now at home but am handling it well enough. I’m fat-adapted and feeling good. I haven’t been creative with cooking lately but know that’s ok. Bulletproof coffee is my morning go to and I’m down to 2 meals a day. I love not having brain fog!!! I love not being obsessed with food and feeling guilty because of it!!! I love not feeling hungry all of the time!!! I recently attended a baby shower. Parties used to be about the food for me, but no longer!! I’m keeping calm and ketoing on!!! Thank you so much for checking in on me!!! Happy Thursday!!!

(Kel Ta) #68

So glad to hear it! Its so great to get to that point where its not on ones mind all the time! Sheesh- it can be hard! I am so glad you found a good rhythm! And great progress! Yay! And super cuties dog! Is she/he a vizsla?

Yay! I’m so happy to learn of your progress. Bravo for sticking with it and getting results!

(Troy John) #70

Ketana, I am thinking I have the same issue. Started Keto 2.5 months ago and cant shake of the tiredness. It was ok for a month a so, energy levels were good and I was optimistic. But now, even though I keep track of my macros, do the right things, I am extremely fatigued. Please tell me more on how you were able to combat this. Thanks.

(Kel Ta) #71

Hi John, the electrolytes are a serious prob when becoming fat adapted- it truly took me at least a year to get stabilized and fully fat adapted so give yourself time but do not skimp on good electrolytes. Try to stay on top of water, salt intake, and magnesium and pottassium. Magnesium pottasium aspartate did wonders for me when I took it at night. Constipation will make you tired too and if you are not eating enough fat with lean meat then that can lead to slow bowel movement and constipation. Spread the protein out throughout your meals- too much at a time can induce fatigue. Other problems include an increased sensitivity to caffeine in the form of coffee, tea and chocolate which can also make energy levels very variable (high and then tired). Initially if you need to add fat to lean meat you can use MCT or coconut oil which is directly absorbed through the lacteals in the small brush border of the intestine and can give some immediate energy. I think it sometimes is just time too- being patient- waiting for your tissues to heal and the body to become an expert fat and ketone burner. Good luck!

(Troy John) #72

Thank You, Kel Ta, for your feedback. I appreciate it. I am doing all the right things, but the fatigue is too overwhelming. Waking up tired is not a good feeling as you probably know. I do have a problem with taking mag / pot supplements but try to get it from avocados and other foods. Thanks again for your advice.

(Kel Ta) #73

yeah John, I found at a certain point my ability to absorb electrolytes from food sources was not enough- the electrolyte at night did wonders! keep on keeping on but also know when to get your testing to make sure something else isn’t going on too.

(Joy Cho) #74

Thanks for the reminder about the need for electrolytes, Ketana!!! My 14 year old started 6 weeks ago on this WOL and he’s lost 24 pounds so far which I find to be absolutely fantastic!!! His biggest complaint is his lack of energy and that he’s more tired than he was before starting keto.

I remind him on a daily basis to drink his electrolytes, but he’s 14 and he has other priorities. (HA!!) Last night he came down for dinner and put his head down on the table. He said he didn’t feel well. It turns out he wasn’t getting in his fluids for the day, but he had a deliciously satisfying meal earlier. He seemed to do better after he got in some electrolytes. Happy Wednesday!