Been on Keto for over a month now. Why am I still so stinking tired?

(Kel Ta) #95

I was talking about drinking enough water- if I fill up a bottle at the beginning of the day with the amount I want to drink that day- I slowly work through it 1 cup at a time

(Elizabeth ) #96

I’m 61 postmenopausal and take thyroid it took me a full 6 months to get fat adapted this time I had done Atkins on and off for 40 years and never had this issue but I just powered through it and I still will have days when I get tired I find a very salty cup of broth picks me up within about 30 minutes

Hello, my suggestion would be to get your blood work done to check your B12, potassium, magnesium levels and just an overall review. I get leg cramps occasionally and know to increase my potassium intake and / or magnesium. I am fortunate enough to have a doctor who is very open minded and supportive about my overall health , which is important on this journey for me.
You may not be eating enough either, maybe double check your calories, and there is a possibility your macros need to be revisited.
Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

(Kel Ta) #98

The blood plasma levels of electrolyte are very well maintained and may not reflect the tissue levels which at this point are impossible to assess and therefore you may still be operating under deficiency even though your blood tests look normal.

(Tina Hunter Pierce) #99

I’ve been on keto since Feb. Down 27lbs and havr to force myself to eat so love not having insukin uos anf downs but havr nevervreally uad much energy and am extremely constipated and havr leg cramps. I stayed off in Jan on Atkins and I couldn’t have that many vegetables but how many can in have on keto.? Started tak8ng magnesium citrate vitamins 2 days ago still can’t go…ive never been constipated in my life.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #100

Try increasing your salt intake. Constipation is a symptom of low sodium.

(Tina Hunter Pierce) #101

Thank u Paul, I’ll try not sure how much more salt I can use/take

Fatigue sounds like typical side effect of cholesterol medication. Could also be insufficient supplementation of potassium, salt or magnesium.

(Ron E Raines) #103

I know this is out of left field but is is possible you have sleep apnea. Sounds exactly how I felt before cpap. I had no issues until I turned 50.

(Championsidewinder) #104

Week 10 for me and still not fat adapted :disappointed:

(Kel Ta) #105

I think sleep apnea is a good thing to rule out b/c yes they look pretty similar. I realize that I had breathing problems from LPR or laryngopharyngeal reflux that caused pressured breathing and other disturbing symptoms… I have to eat VLC, almost ZC keto to prevent it.

(Kel Ta) #106

Yes Fat adaptation takes a while for lots of folks- keep on keepin on…

(Heather Surina) #107

I’m having a similar problem. I have been eating strict keto for months and all of a sudden I’m so tired, and I feel so hungry but have no appetite. I have no desire to eat but my stomach actually hurts like I’m hungry. And I could sleep all day but I’m getting 7 hours of sleep a night. I have added extra salt and electrolytes. Nothing helps. I usually have 1 iced coffee with lots of cream and now I’m up to 3 a day. Adding fats doesn’t seem to give me anymore energy.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #109

I’m wondering if you might not be getting enough protein. Try eating a bit more (various experts claim that too much protein isn’t even a thing) and see if you feel any better.

(Pat Mifsud) #110

Interested in reading up on the ‘too much protein isn’t a thing’ bit, can’t seem to find anything online, do you have any links handy?

Seem to be stuck
(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #111

Watch this:
https://player.vimeo.com/video/273508045

(Lorraine) #113

Thanks for posting. I really enjoyed this video!

(Candy Lind) #114

You are using the phrase “fat adapted” incorrectly. You mean “in ketosis,” the state of burning fat for fuel.

When you start eating keto, you limit carbs to force your body to use fat for fuel, but it fights at every turn to go back to carbs because that’s what it’s used to. You get into ketosis quickly (just a few days) if you’re eating under 20 grams of carbs, but you’re not fat-adapted.

By “fat adapted,” we mean you have achieved that state where your body EASILY switches back and forth from burning fat to carbs & back again. That is what takes weeks (or months!) when you start keto. This is where most people feel that burst of energy and increased mental clarity caused by burning fat for fuel.

It took me a LONG time to get my electrolytes balanced. I take extra salt (1g tablets), magnesium, and occasional potassium in order to keep them there. It’s a struggle for me even after 20 months keto.

Hope the people in this thread are KCKO, and feeling better!

Oh, THIS Wiki is a good thing to bookmark.

(Jennifer Cress) #115

I’m so glad I read your post. I’ve been having issues feeling sooo tired, weak, and heavy. I haven’t had much to eat the last few days. I’ve had diarrhea and just not been eating much. No hunger. I found that MCT oil or coconut oil help and bone broth too. Not to mention Himalayan sea salt is supposed to help too. I’m drinking more and forcing myself to eat. I’m on my third day of feeling this way. I started bone broth yesterday. I’m hoping this passes soon.

(Claire Ditzel) #116

I for one would NEVER put anything with an artificial sweetener in my body. These are cancer causing agents. There has to be either an unsweetened substitute that you can use Stevia with or another way