Baked Arctic Char with Fennel Salad

fish
char
baked
fennel

I noticed that the fish section of the grocery today had a lot of fresh wild caught arctic char on sale. So, of course I took advantage. You can use this recipe with any fresh fish, whole or filleted.

Ingredients:
Whole arctic char (head removed, gutted) (or you can use other fresh whole or filleted fish)
One shallot
One lemon, grated and juice squeezed
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 tablespoon juniper berries (optional)
2 bay leaves
1/3 cup butter, cold, cut into slices
a few fresh sprigs of parsley
One bulb fennel
1/4 to 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (adjust amount to your liking)
a dash of powdered cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste

First I placed the arctic char on a piece of parchment paper, that was laying on top of aluminum foil. I used the aluminum foil for easy cleanup. And I used the parchment paper, because I don’t like cooking and eating food that has been touching aluminum.

The fishmonger was very nice, and had the head removed and the fish gutted. I added salt and pepper on the inside

I then sliced a shallot

And then grated the rind of one lemon, as well as extracted the juice of the lemon

I added the sliced shallot, lemon rind and 1/2 of the juice of the lemon on the inside

I then added 2 bay leaves, dried rosemary and a tablespoon of juniper berries

This was followed by adding slices of cold butter

I then added a layer of parsley sprigs on top

I closed the fish, and made sure the ingredients were tucked in nicely. I sprinkled the top with a bit of salt and pepper. I placed the fish in an oven pre-heated to 400 deg F, and baked for 20 minutes

While the fish was baking, I made fennel salad. I first took a head of fennel and placed it on a cutting board

I removed the bottom part (just like you would with celery)

And then I split it in half

I ripped the green parts off with my hands and put them on the corner of the cutting board (I will get to them later)

I sliced the white part of the fennel and placed them in a bowl

I then finely chopped the green part. This is done because it will distribute more evenly throughout the salad giving it nice colour

I added the chopped green part on top of the sliced white parts, as well as the other 1/2 juice of lemon, olive oil and a dash of cayenne pepper. I also added salt and pepper to taste. I blended these ingredients to form the fennel salad

This is what the beautiful fish looked like when it came out of the oven

The skin peeled off very easily

With a fork, I gently lifted the cooked flesh away from the spine and bones

Here is what the final plating looked like

I should mention that for the plating I harvested some of the delicious shallot-juniper berry chutney that cooked in the center of the fish, to spread on the fish

I also scooped up the lemon-butter sauce that collected at the bottom, and poured it over the fish in the plate. DO NOT FORGET TO DO THIS - THIS IS THE BEST TASTING PART. Let me repeat…this is the best tasting part of the meal…don’t discard this liquid!!! It is phenomenal

The perfect bite…

What did you Keto today?
(Bacon for the Win) #2

my goodness, that looks good! What other fish would work with this recipe?

Any other fresh fish would work great with this method, really. Even fish with overpowering flavour, like salmon and tuna. Rainbow trout works extremely well, too. Go to the fish store, see what’s in season, and try it out. You will be shocked how easy and delicious this is to make.

(Bacon for the Win) #4

I’ve added this to my ever-growing lis of recipes to try. Thanks @Fiorella!