Baffle (bacon chaffle NO CHEESE)

(Joan Hulvey) #1

BEST chaffle and with no cheese, so I guess this is a baffle:
Cut bacon to fit the waffle maker. I’m using a Bella from Walmart (ceramic - no chemicals) that only cost $35. It makes 4 small waffles at once. I use the hottest setting. Timing may work differently on yours. I cut 2 slices bacon into 4ths. 2 pieces per square. Place them on the waffle maker and cook for 2 minutes. Meanwhile blend together with a fork one egg and 2 scoops of collagen protein powder (I used Dr Axe multi collagen protein). You could probably use any gelatin type powder. It makes the egg super crispy rather than steamy. The batter will be thick. Pour that over the now halfway cooked bacon. Cook for another 6 minutes. Optional: drizzle a bit of sugar free maple syrup on top and cook again for up to another minute. SUPER crispy with a maple bacon flavor.

(Susan) #2

I made some Chaffles with no cheese (because I am not eating dairy for 6 weeks until November 30 atm) and I do:

2 eggs, 2 tablespoons almond flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 tablespoon Chosen Foods Avocado Mayonnaise -making 2 Chaffles.

Collagen Powder is mega expensive and I try to do Keto as budget friendly as I can as we are on a mega tight budget and I am the only Keto person, but that is great that that works for you =).

I make bacon in the oven and fried eggs, and cut up the chaffle like toast =). I have also made BLT’s with the Chaffles =).

(Kristen Ann) #3

Can you post pics?

If you don’t mind experimenting I’ve made these waffle things with ground beef and with chicken. Pretty easy and a meal in itself. It’s one of my ways to not get bored with ground beef and it’s easy way to sneak something healthy to the kids disguised as junk.
It sounds weird but I first came across it on the Armstrong Sisters youtube channel as carnivore waffles. They were using lamb which is really expensive (and very tasty) but beef can easily be substituted. It just requires mixing the meat and eggs in a food processor to get a batter like consistency, slightly greasing the iron then making the waffle.
A tip I learned the hard way, with higher fat content beef you might want to precook and drain the excess fat from the beef before making the waffles.

(Joan Hulvey) #5

Hi Susan,
I’m avoiding almonds because of oxylates, but thanks for the suggestion.

(Joan Hulvey) #6

Yes, I have also added various meat and liver to the batter. Great way to disguise liver for kids! Though if the additions are too “wet” the result isn’t as crispy as I’d like (still taste good though). The cheese really helps crisp things up but is a bit addictive, so I was happy to see that gelatin/collagen helps with the crispy aspect. Love the Sistahs!

(Susan) #7

Oh okay, that makes sense. I don’t usually eat them directly, but have been using a bit of the flour when I have been making the Chaffles (which I don’t do often either). I don’t buy protein powder as I find it extremely expensive and also because most of the ones I have seen have artificial sweeteners and I don’t use those. It is great that you have found a recipe that works for you and that you love, though, that is awesome!

(Joan Hulvey) #8

Maybe even Knox gelatin powder would work? Not too expensive.

(Susan) #9

Thanks for the suggestion, I will write that down and check next Friday!! (We shop on Friday nights).

(Edith) #10

I second the request for a picture.

(Troy) #11

+3
Pics please
No cheese option will work for me🙂

And I just got some collagen peptides last week
Costco sale…$6 off a tub
I just eat it w a spoon lol
I like the taste😄

(Joan Hulvey) #12

(Edith) #13

Thanks for the picture. I may experiment with this tomorrow.

(Joan Hulvey) #14

I made another after the above picture, this time without bacon - just one egg and ONE (not two) scoops of collagen. Delicious and crispy! Gotta love a two ingredient dish!

I have to try with pork rinds, as well…
So many options :slight_smile:

(Edith) #16

Well, I tried them out sans bacon. I did add some bacon fat. I have to say, “OMG! Do they smell TERRIBLE while they are cooking!”

But, I tasted anyway, and they tasted pretty good. And, they ARE nice and crispy. They are also quicker to make than Maria Emmerich’s version, which uses hard boiled eggs.

Two questions:

1. How do you keep the collagen powder from clumping?

2. How much collagen is in one scoop? My powder just goes by tablespoons.

(Joan Hulvey) #17

Most scoops are the equivalent of 2 tablespoons. This morning I tried making them as hamburger buns without the bacon. I used 2 eggs and 2 scoops (4 Tablespoons) to make a top and bottom for my burger. I added a bit of glycine for flavor. I don’t notice a bad smell while cooking - was the bacon fat old? Anyway, they worked great. I usually put the egg in a mason jar first, then add the collagen on top and whisk with a fork. I haven’t noticed much clumping, but that might vary depending on the collagen product. Look for “hydrolyzed” on the label - that process is supposed to make it easy to dissolve in cold liquids. Vital Proteins makes two versions. Besides the Dr Axe product, I also have used Orgain Collagen Peptides (bought at Costco). That one is says Grass Fed Pasture Raised and “mixes easily in anything”

(Edith) #18

It was definitely the smell of the collagen cooking that I thought was soooooo stinky.

Thanks for the info. I did not use enough of the collagen powder. I shall try using more tomorrow. I did add some salt and onion powder for flavor.

(57 yo female started keto Jul '19) #19

I used the recipe in the OP and I liked the simplicity:

• 1 egg
  • 2 scoops collagen protein
  • enough bacon to cover the bottom

1 scoop of my collagen protein is 10 grams. It is hydrolyzed.

(57 yo female started keto Jul '19) #20

Improved version. Came out nice fluffy. Good for hamburger buns.