Baffle (bacon chaffle NO CHEESE)

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #21

I don’t have collagen powder but I have gelatin, would that work?

(57 yo female started keto Jul '19) #22

I’m still learning to cook, so I’m not sure. It’s sure worth a try :slight_smile: If you do, please report back about your results.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #23

Okay will do. Are you using collagen for texture or what? What am I looking for if I try it?

(57 yo female started keto Jul '19) #24

I was looking for crispiness, but they are not crispy. It comes out more like bread. I think the collagen makes them firm (as opposed to like an omelet).

I also think the mixing with a blender is an important step to get the fluffyness.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #25

Okay, good to know. I’ve been using them as pizza crusts and I notice they’re a fluffy omelette when I get then out and then I press them down to make them more “thin crust”. I still eat them with a fork, after topping it, but I’m interested with experimenting. Currently I’m using egg and cheese but have tried more yolk, less yolk, etc. Thanks for the info!

(Joan Hulvey) #26

Pork fritter - light, crispy, tasty:
3 oz ground pork
2 small eggs
2 oz medium cheddar (optional)
2 scoops collagen peptides (I used Orgain from Costco)

Cut up large ingredients into smaller pieces. Use an immersion blender to make a batter. Cook in the waffle maker till done. Wonderful texture and flavor.

(Joan Hulvey) #27

From my experiments, the collagen is a crisper. Think of chicken skin (which is largely collagen) reacting to the broiler by getting crisp. I’ve mixed collagen with duck fat - when heated in a waffle maker it takes on a macaroon sort of texture. Worth playing with!

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #28

I bought this gelatin a while back to use as a way to keep crushed meds in a suspension for rehab animals (v water which had to be shaken and not evenly dispersed) but haven’t had a use for it since. I look forward to trying for crispy instead of moist and fluffy!

(Joan Hulvey) #29

Sure! Give it a go!

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #30

I used two eggs, 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, one packet gelatin and it did poof up in the iron, like usual but after patting it down and cooking it with toppings, I feel like it’s more substantial, like it’s tougher and won’t tear as easily. Still plan to experiment. Sorry I didn’t take a photo before topping it!:

(Joan Hulvey) #31

Looks tasty. Maybe try doubling the gelatin next time?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #32

Hi Joan, I was wondering how the Bella is working out for you? I have big concerns about non stick pans other than porcelain ceramic or enamel. So I don’t want to get most of the irons I have seen. I’ve considered an old school cast iron stovetop/oven version. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Joan Hulvey) #33

Hi David,
I too was concerned about non-stick coatings, not only for my health but for my pet birds (teflon fumes can kill them). The Bella was the only one I could find that was free of various bad things. The box says:
“It has a unique ceramic non-stick coating that is eight times more durable and cooks up to 30 percent faster than standard non-stick coatings. This healthy-eco coating is reinforced with titanium for outstanding durability and resistance to metal utensils and does not contain lead, cadmium and is PTFE and PFOA free.”
It works great, but I likely would have bought a cast iron stove top one it was at the store. I see now that they can be ordered.

(Daisy) #34

I just tried this tonight. It was really tasty! Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

(Joan Hulvey) #35

Did you try the bacon one or ground pork version? I’ve been playing a good bit with the recipe. Came up with a super crispy version recently that could be cut up into crackers:
1 large egg
1 oz sausage or ground pork
1 oz cheese (I like a strong flavor, like cheddar or pepper jack)
2 scoops collagen (20 g)

(Daisy) #36

I tried the bacon one last night. But I’ll be trying out more and more of these I think!! At least until I run out of the collagen I have lol.

(Joan Hulvey) #37

Ha. I’m with ya on that!