Bacon packaging: Tricksy or Delicious?

(Stickin' with mammoth) #1

They think that little window hides the fat content. By a show of hands, who in here gives a flying pig about the fat content of bacon? Bacon IS the fat content.

(chews bacon)

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

When bacon came in clear plastic and cardboard boxes that hid the fat layer, my mom would simply tear the box to get a good look at a representative slice. Guess the supermarket managers got tired of that, so now they put the cardboard inside the plastic, so you can’t do that anymore.

Nope, I for one dislike if my meat including bacon is too fatty (except my fav pork yowl item, it’s 86% fat, allegedly, in weight and it’s amazing. but it’s way cheaper than bacon. for bacon price I want much meat). I checked my actual bacon (I bought it long ago and didn’t want it yet, it has a long shelf life. I only try bacon a few times a year as I never found a good one so I don’t like it much except the crunch), it has lots of meat :D.
This one seems like that too, lots of meat and it’s bacon so it’s supposed to have lots of fat too (it’s late, don’t argue about the fat being part of the meat. but maybe I am paranoid). But I saw bacon with too much fat to my liking.
If one wants leaner meat, shouldn’t buy bacon, obviously…

My current bacon has the window but most bacon don’t have that. Is it a thing there…?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

155d7b4f6b937759df37986ca3e6cdfe

(Laurie) #5

I agree, bacon is supposed to be fat. But I know that some people check numerous packages and choose the leanest-looking one.

I asked one of these people why he didn’t just buy ham instead.

(Of course there’s always the oddly named “Canadian bacon,” which is not popular in Canada.)

My thought exactly. (Even if they aren’t the same flavor wise… And we have some fatty ham here :smiley: I like the fattiness, I can use it as fat for my scrambled eggs sometimes. Still not as fatty as the average bacon.)

(Robin) #7

I remember doing that too! Hah!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #8

I love this photo. These are my people.

(Bob M) #9

That’s what I eat, ham. Bacon = overeating for me. And I eat a lower-fat keto diet (sorry!).

My kids watched a show called Phineas and Ferb. In one of the shows, I think they were taking a picture, and the photographer said “Say Canadian Bacon!”, and they all said, “Ham!”. Every time we have Canadian bacon, my kids say “ham!”. Which is what it is anyway, just sliced thin and round.

My lunch today is a cold lunch of previously sous-vided beef heart, spiral ham, capers, and olives. And Tajin Classico Seasoning. Yesterday, I ate the same thing at about 10am, wasn’t hungry until about 7pm.

(Robin) #10

Great family memory and tradition, @ctviggen My kids once saw a herd of white cattle and decided they must be albinos. My daughter said, ‘what are the odds of that many albino cows being together?” And my son said, ‘Support group”. So now we all call any group of cows a Support Group.

(David Cooke) #11

Make your own bacon, the way you want it.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

That is hilarious, love it.

I learned that, with rats, we have to say “pink-eyed whites,” because some of them are true albinos, but others of them simply have a gene that “dilutes” the colour of their eyes and fur, and there is no way to know which rat is which without genetic testing. I also learned that the chromatophores that control skin and fur colour originate with the neural crest in the embryo (this is true of human beings, as well) and must then migrate to the proper location. So if something goes wrong with the development of the neural crest into the spinal column, there are often abnormalities of colouring associated with the problem. For example, there is a condition in which peristalsis in the intestine is impaired or lacking, and people with this condition usually have a pure white lock of hair on their heads. (In people, this condition is called “Hirschsprung’s Disease,” but in rats it is called “megacolon.”)

[useless fact mode: off]

(GINA ) #13

In the 70s my mom looked for bacon with enough meat. Then they changed what they bred pigs for and now I have to look to make sure there is enough fat.

We have meat pigs and fat pigs too (I just translated the Hungarian terms, IDK what is correct in English)… Of course even the first group is fatty, they are pigs and we are Hungarians… Sometimes I wonder low-fat diets are really that common elsewhere? I doubt many people would follow them here, except of course dieters and very health conscious ones (I am very health conscious too but they look at fat differently, it seems). Good food is fatty so of course people who want to enjoy themselves and rather taking pills than eating right, whatever it may mean, choose tastiness over low-fatness. And we have paleoers who probably has less problems with fat…? Paleo can be very carby but it’s typically fatty so I think so. We probably has more vegetarians and vegans though… And in the very last years this veganism for the planet got stronger here. I think people don’t care that much (when common people cared about the planet, seriously?) but I actually don’t know what changes happened. I only heard about Christmas STILL not being vegetarian for most families… I have no idea how anyone would think it’s realistic, taking away pork is like taking away booze from Hungarians. It won’t happen in most cases.

This is my bacon (as far as I can tell, they show the fattiest part in the window. it’s a quite meaty bacon. but it’s 41% fat, everyone can see it on the package so I am not sure how could the fat content be secret if one is willing to read the info). I bought it quite a few weeks ago and I still feel intimidated to open it (no, I just wasn’t the mood but indeed, I need to be careful about that too)… But my SO is willing to help me out quite seriously. It’s 400g, I don’t know what I was thinking (nice, crispy bacon ribbons, mostly as I remember. this thing was on sale and maybe it’s edible enough. I never was very lucky with bacon but I can imagine I just don’t like bacon much. but I love crunchy frilly ribbons. I would like bacon flavor too but I would need something better than I had this far. Once it was pretty good but they were little cubes, not slices. I need slices to make crunchy frilly ribbons)…
The most bacon I ever ate was 60g but it was a bit too much for me at once. 400g is actually over my yearly bacon consumption… But I am sure we can do it. How long does bacon last after opening the package? I always had tiny ones so we ate it quickly. Or should I just fry it all (except what I will use to cover some pork chops. my SO has some, it’s awfully lean for me but with bacon it will be okay I guess).

(Robin) #15

I actually knew about pinked eyed whites. My brother had pet rats for years. They were such great affectionate and funny little things. But very prone to illness (tumors? can’t remember) and their short lives were too hard on the family. But, I am a fan.

(Robin) #16

Love “crunchy frilly ribbons”! I would just fry it all up… eat what you can and then use t to add to other dishes for some salty goodness.

I only ever ate them with eggs… And I am not good with making fun, crunchy, rare food and not eating it… Even if I don’t actually want or need to… It makes more sense to use a little at a time, I appreciate them most that way.
And they need A TON of eggs or other stuff as they are very salty. It’s good my salt need went up in January (I mean, I salt my normal food more… I actually eat less salt now, January was extremely low in processed items I think. little dairy or processed meat so my salt intake drops and my body wasn’t happy with that. I need my 4g salt a day, it seems) so I will handle my bacon better. But it’s still 3,7% salt. I prefer 1% in my food, maybe 1.5% but above that I need to dilute the saltiness. It produces fat anyway so of course I use eggs to fry them in it…
400g bacon requires dozens of eggs to eat with (or something else like lean meat). And it’s good as it has the sodium content enough for half a week in my case…

(Bob M) #18

@robintemplin That is a funny story. For my kids, everything somehow relates to Phineas and Ferb. I think the two main people who made that watched every movie, and there are tons of references to movies like The Shawshank Redemption (which my kids haven’t seen), etc. We’ll sit at the table and discuss a movie, and they’ll immediately come up with something similar that happened in Phineas and Ferb.

Always wanted to try this sous vide bacon:

One day…

Can’t compute but I remember my SO was surprised when he saw my bacon (crispiness: 100%, I didn’t know there may be another valid way to do the stripes) and told me his was much more supple. What.

But I have a very long history with frying the hell out of things. Like, “one step before charcoal”. It must be brown, no matter what the original color was. I abandoned that with my scrambled eggs, I actually prefer them moist now. But the main charm of bacon is its ability to become crispy. I am a fan of crispy. If I could do crispy eggs, I would do that all the time. (I still hope one day I will find a way.)

I wonder what if I make bacon powder from some stripes… I have a “let’s make powder from everything” phase. I just got out my egg yolk and liver powder from the freezer, they will go into my PSMF sponge cake bread tomorrow. What else could I do with them, they are tiny.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #20

Female rats are prone to mammary tumors, unless spayed. Male rats have mammary tissue, too, but are not nearly to vulnerable to tumors. The lifespan in captivity is very short, only about three years at the most, but that contrasts with the average lifespan in the wild, which is only nine months. It’s very sad to have to keep saying good-bye, but we rat owners console ourselves with the thought of meeting new rats to love. :heart: