Bacon packaging: Tricksy or Delicious?

(Jane) #21

I have made my own a couple of times, but where I live pork belly is hard to come by.

(Jane) #22

Interesting - never thought of cooking bacon that way. It does take a long time to fry up and I like the idea of sous videā€™ing a whole package of bacon and then just searing what you need,

(Jane) #23

Ok, I found an opened package of thick-sliced bacon and an unopened package of thin-sliced in the fridge. I took out the thick since that was recommended and vacuum sealed it and it is in a 147 F water bath until tomorrow morning. We are supposed to be iced/snowed in by tomorrow morning so a good morning for bacon and eggs! Just wish my hens were still layingā€¦ but they will be again in a few weeks.

(KCKO, KCFO) #24

I bake bacon in the oven. 300F for 60 mins. Turn off oven and let the pan sit there for another 10 mins. Results: crispy meat and creamy fat. Love it this way. I use thick sliced only.

Will need a report on the sous vide bacon, I donā€™t use my device often. I like pork chops cooked that way and I make coconut canaoil with it as well.

I can tear up a bacon display area cause I go thru and buy only the fattiest packages. Lean crap I leave for others!

My mom buys lean, searches for that meaty slices in the package. I buy only white showing in packages and alot of it! She eats bacon at my house she says it tastes so much better than when she cooks it and I say it is cause you buy that lean crap LOL

care about fat content in bacon? If one did one wouldnā€™t be eating it :sunny:

I love crispy everything but I have so much bacon, maybe I will try it in the oven too!

And while I want a specific fat content from my most meat, another reason I prefer meatier stuff that I can buy fat tissue for cheap (of course there are fancy super expensive ones too)ā€¦ Itā€™s not as good as a specifically prepared stuff, thatā€™s why I buy the super fatty pork jowl (I will never get bored of the fact itā€™s allegedly 760kcal/100g :smiley: I could shock masses with that). I choose the meatiest piece (as far as I can tell, the package is transparent but the stuff is very well covered with paprika) but itā€™s almost exclusively fat so of course. I eat the meatier upper part (alone or with lean meat, maybe eggs) and use the fat in my scrambled eggsā€¦ Good stuff. I think I talk about it way too much on this forum but itā€™s awesome and a good (albeit dangerous) ally of mine.

Lean meat can taste good, itā€™s not ONLY about the fat but yep, fat very often helps with taste and other joys of eating. Soft (or crunchy), nice fat, what not to like? Even my SO eats bacon when we have it (he never would buy it but if we have itā€¦), always with eggs but he is looking forward to the bacon enhanced pork chop too now. He absolutely abhors my beloved pork jowl with its 86% fat content (in weight), of course. He likes lean things and somewhat fatty things, not too much. Bacon can get away with its higher fat content as the rendered out fat is needed for frying the eggs. I like when I can get away without added fat myself. He uses 2 slices for 3 eggs, it works well.

(Jane) #27

The sour vide bacon was interesting. I only crisped one side like it recommended, The bacon was soft and tender and a slight bit of crunch - unlike any bacon Iā€™ve had before. Sure like the convenience of not having to cook it - just brown one side and you are done.

(Jane) #28

Ok, so after refrigerating the rest of the bacon I had sous vide ā€¦ I am not going to sous vide any more bacon. Even though I used the thick sliced bacon, I had a hard time getting the slices apart after sitting in the refrigerator overnight. The sous vide cooked some of the fat out of the bacon and then when it solidified all the pieces were stuck together. More so than normal bacon.

(KCKO, KCFO) #29

Thanks for the update. I will just keep baking mine then. It is really quicker and less time consuming anyway.