Australian Chefcook raging against industrial processed food

(charlie3) #21

I agree as far as grass vs grain finished. Traditional western cattle ranchs are best called cow/calf operations. The grazing land is not suitable for row crops but has enough nutrition to allow a beef cow to sustain herself and an unborn calf. Typically calves stay on the range eating grass until they are ready for finishing. Then the iconic cattle drive where the calves are delivered to feed lots for finishing on feed with higher nutrition so they mature bigger and faster. These days the steers more likely are transported by truck/train to the feedlots. I eat beef every day, all grain finished. If it’s killing me no worries, I’m already old.

(Ken) #22

That was discounted because it’s common for.cultures to develop preparation and cooking methods to make unsafe foods edible. Trichinosis has been the historical issue with Pork, and in cultures consuming it, all you had to do was cook it to 138 degrees F, (traditional cooked well done just to be sure) or if preparing foods like Pepperoni that use raw pork, making sure it has been kept frozen for an extended time first.

Human flesh just happens to taste a little TOO similar for some cultures.

Nothing new about this, it was in one of my Anthro classes in College back in the 1980’s.

(Bunny) #23

They swear Hook worms (old friends) are the cure for IBS, Crohn’s disease ect.

(Bunny) #24

(UsedToBeT2D) #25

I think you are in the wrong forum. Most of us here love Keto and have seen amazing health and weight improvements. And we’ve tried what you are advocating…and that doesn’t work for us.

(Bunny) #26

Of course it works but on a much deeper level if your only eating carbohydrates to a certain threshold and your a type 2 diabetic; that does not cure the diabetes, low carb in exchange for dependency on exogenous insulin or insulin pumps?

Actual reversal of type 2 diabetes means you can tolerate higher carbohydrate intake at higher levels (glucose tolerance) like you did before you were a type 2 diabetic for a sustained period of time?

I’m still waiting for the carb up and carb down before and after (with real glucose and insulin clamps) research and long-term glucose tolerance research?

You have to get rid of visceral fat (if that really is the cause) on the liver and inside the liver itself to be ‘cured’ of diabetes? Nobody has actually proved reversal of diabetes!

I don’t ‘advocate’ I speculate on the science from the anthropological and forensic perspective of medical and nutritional science.

(UsedToBeT2D) #27

Perhaps you ought to consider in your arguments the considerable anecdotal evidence from the people in this forum.

(Ron) #28

While this may be true, your presentation suggests otherwise in my humble opinion and could be inadvertently guiding readers to an altered direction and jeopardizing their desired goals.

(Bunny) #29

I’ve been on this forum 4 years, nope never thought of that…lol

(UsedToBeT2D) #30

We don’t need to reverse diabetes, just manage it…and we can likely live to normal life expectancy, while not having significant health issues.
Why would I poison my metabolism with high carbs if it will aggravate my condition?
My wife has no reaction to poison ivy, but I am extremely sensitive, thus I don’t go tromping through it. Should this alarm me?

(Bunny) #31

Now that’s more like it?

Interesting catch phrases:

My Experience Reversing my Diabetes on Virta

(Ken) #32

Not reverse Diabetes? That’s the real point of fat based nutrition! Diabetes is a condition you eat yourself into, you don’t catch it from a toilet seat or doorknob. You eat yourself back out of it. Once it is alleviated and you’re back to a normal Insulin-Glucagon secretion pattern, you CAN eat additional carbs, as long as the types, amounts, and frequency does not cause increasing insulin resistance and chronic overcompensation of Glycogen with consequential readaptation into the Diabetic State.

It is not necessary to perpetually eat carbs at Keto levels to prevent readaptation. You can if you choose to, but is not a requirement. To tell people who disagree with your Dogma to leave the Forum is not appropriate behavior on here, especially when you simply offer an opinion with nothing to back it up.

(UsedToBeT2D) #33

Nobody was asked to leave. Merely a suggestion that his dogma might be appreciated more on a SAD forum.

(UsedToBeT2D) #34

When I go tromping through the poison ivy with no shirt, I end up with painful oozing blisters all over my belly…the doctor doesn’t tell me that I have the Oozing Blister disease, it is a symptom of toxic oils on my skin. Staying out of the ivy doesn’t mean that I have reversed my blister disease, but I have managed not to expose myself to its cause. Similarly, I don’t think of T2D as a disease, but as a symptom of excessive carbohydrates in my diet…therefore I haven’t reversed anything. I am just avoiding the cause with a Keto diet.

(Shelly C) #35

I looooove this dude! Where can I see more videos??

@ShellyNOBeans

Just gonna throw this out there for those who are discussing the corn-soy feeding of cattle, and the effects on the meat.
The corn and soy -fed meat is tasty, and yes, those particular meats have an exquisite marble in comparison to grass fed beef. Having said that, it is not the corn and soy on their own that create that marble pattern. The corn and soy do indeed make the animal heavier, and more fatty. However, it is the Optaflexx (ractopamine) that is added into the finishing mix of corn and soy which forces the majority of the marbling. With that addition, the animals do not require as much food to gain weight, and they gain more rapidly. Weight=$$$.
Feeding animals Optaflexx fortified soy-corn feeds beyond 3 weeks or so will cause shutdowns in the kidneys. One might question what the ingestion of Optaflexx meat might cause in humans, esp. if their meat consumption is high.
Even China and the EU have banned feeds with this stuff.
I raise grass fed beef cattle because crap like this makes the crap feeds even crappier.

Our meat doesn’t have exquisite marbling, but it does have fat. Grasses containing "sweet oils), like alfalfa, trefoil, clover, etc… all contribute to the fat content. And, I supplement my herd with non-gmo alfalfa when needed.

For the ground beef, I just add in a dollop of coconut oil (or butter) and squish it in when making burgers, to gain a more fatty, juicier burger. I used the refined stuff in that instance to avoid coconut-beef burgers.

Not trying to piss anyone off by posting this, btw. Just explaining why some of us who raise grass fed livestock do what we do.
Cheers!

(bulkbiker) #38

And you’d be in starvation ketosis rather than nutritional of course but why would that matter eh?

(bulkbiker) #39

So a cow has no digestive system? are you seriously making that claim…thought those multiple stomachs were there for a reason… obviously not…

(bulkbiker) #40

Why?

Plus the lipid profiles of beef seem to vary far more between various breeds than various feed types. Something no-one ever seems to consider…
“Beef” doesn’t exist per se…