August-Palooza!

There’s a total of 16 hens. 2 are pretty old. 14 are pullets.

What I’m really waiting for are the turkey eggs. I wan;t incubate some, but they are also fantastic for eating.

Just pulled my soup bones out of the slow cooker after 2 days on super low. Tender, juicy, and bone marrow galore! pullling it off and nibbling is like candy for the carnivore! HAHAHA!

(Edith) #82

Well, I didn’t totally blow day two, but I did nibble some blueberries when my husband was eating some last night. My hand just reached out and popped them in my mouth all by itself.

This morning I’m starting off with a burger (with organ meat mixed in) topped with pulled pork and an egg. Tonight I will be more aware of the mindless nibbling of the berries.

there is a penalty by the ZC Police ya know…it is you owe everyone here that is ZC a $1,000 each… :wink: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::shushing_face:

thing is it is automatic truly when we dump all carbs. I mean food is ALL around us all the time and the biggest step is just dig in like a warrior.

hey in Cheryl’s challenge my biggest enemy was licking the spoon. It is an automatic type part of my life when I cook for the family ya know…it was a biotch habit to break ya know LOL I tell ya…do something a gazillion times and try to stop right?

hold strong and eat up all great meat and seafood and stuff that body so the hand never shoots out cause your tummy says, oh heck no, no way you can eat even one of those suckers :sunny:

(Edith) #84

That is how I feel after eating my breakfast this morning.:grinning:

I have to admit that I’m wondering if being totally strict carnivore is going to cause me more stress if even taking a taste of something I’m making for the kids is a no-no.

Well, I shall take each day as it comes.

It sure is and when you find that product you love and search or move or on vacay etc. and you know it will disappear from your life mostly…it is sad…I know LOL I get ya but that fun when you were young sounds super amazing! Yea we got Portugese knockoff type ones here around me, being very rural we don’t get choice on sardines. I don’t think these Southerners know what a sardine is, I think all us Northern people who moved down here buy them :wink:

Your wife…have you guys thought of liver pill supps…or — like something like this: Ancestral Supplements Grass Fed Beef Liver Natural Iron for Energy 180 Capsules. And Paul Saladino NOW has 2 new supps…one I think is ‘organic liver supp’ and one is ‘organ meat supp’ and both would be super loaded with iron that could help in that dept.

just throwing out some info that might suit you or not :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: take what might fit or not, all good!

I love your posts FB…they are so interesting and just packed full of just off the cuff stuff I find very engaging!

you said: if being totally strict carnivore is going to cause me more stress if even taking a taste of something I’m making for the kids is a no-no.

here is my answer…NO, NO, it is not that at all and not stress at all. I never felt that a lick off a spoon of a miniscule amt of mashed tater would ‘hurt me’ or ‘sabotage’ me or I went into stress insanity.

for me it was ALL ABOUT changing habits. Why lick a spoon when you don’t have to do that? I mean we all grew up with ‘taste this off the spoon’ and in reality who needs that but a cook who is tasting and wants food tasted. It never had to be me LOL but I fell into the cooking trap and I hate cooking LOL

So it is just a habit to break and I did. I won’t lick a spoon now if ya paid me, but I tell ya…that spoon still almost comes 1/2 way up to my mouth and I say, oh heck no…into the sink ya go LOL

So it is not about stress, or being paranoid over a spoon lick at all.
It is I WANT to stop the habit and I did.

(Edith) #87

After listening to all the podcasts about regenerative agriculture, I believe it is actually more ethical to eat beef than seafood. Ethically and thoughtfully raised cattle are good for the environment and contribute to the regeneration of topsoil. Cattle are easy to replenish since they are bred just for consumption. Eating fish, unless it is farm raised - which has its own problems- contributes to over fishing.

well ya gotta put it all in a natural perspective of that smaller bait/prey fish like a sardine are massive procreators. They feed everything else in the ocean. It is worse to take a top notch blue fine tuna everyone wants cause they reproduce slower, are comprised thru fishing more and so on down the line ‘thru size of kill/harvest’ as in with whales. We darn near wiped out a ton of them and they need like, what, ?, 2 years to produce a youngster? but bait fish and smaller on the ladder of ocean life the reproducing is fast tracked to support other life.

now I have not ‘researched’ this to a level where I can go all in and add links about the ‘why and how’ etc. but this is basic nature.

So just throwing thoughts out on that and this is a fab chat tho…I find interesting.

Justmeat.com

from Dr Kevin Stock

and this IS in another place on the zc category area to read…and it is super important.

Quoted: The higher one’s body fat prior to starting
the Carnivore Diet, the longer it will take to achieve this natural set-point. It will also tend to “settle” at a higher position as well.
This normalizing, this homeostatic equilibrium of health can take years.

For me personally I think I hit the truth of my bodies set point in that I feel SO healed more than I was…strange but true and remember I am into year 3 now and I played for 2 years very low carb and zc so I think it is the most valuable thing about this plan is TIME on plan…and I am one coming into it without major med issues ever…so…but the final nail in the coffin for any ‘plan’ is can one commit the time and go forward all in? That is just so super personal in the end of it all so each of us has to do us at all times or commit and burn thru it all to find ‘real truths’ and I have to say all in, thank goodness I went this way ALL IN.

just some thoughts I got on it all :slight_smile: just a chat to bring it into some persepctive for me on why I do what I do!

And 11 eggs from them? That’s nice :slight_smile:

I have no idea what turkey eggs like…

@VirginiaEdie: I have no blueberries. We picked blackberries and I inevitably ate a few but I already jump off the wagon at that point… I have circumstances, a lot and serious ones, I had to take a little break but I get more meat, a few days pass and I will be back, I guess. And it’s not like I will swam in carbs until then, obviously, I will have proper carni dishes just other things too.
Stress… It’s probably very individual. I totally refuse restricting myself too much. I eat whatever I want, whenever I want, I roll that way. I can train myself though :wink: And eventually, I change. I am not unhealthy, I have time and patience… And my body can handle things. I don’t abuse this but stressing about tiny things, definitely not. It’s another thing that being strict is often easier. Switch in mind without playing with slippery slopes. But I decide what I should do in every situation (and potentially do something different, of course, I am a very uncontrolled one. but I go into the right direction if enough time passes). I don’t know what is best for you, I do what I can without feeling stressed, too restricted or something. One can change very quickly, I have that when I am very determined.

Hmmm… In the very beginning I ate mustard with everything as it was odd not having my little raw vegetables with everything. I ate vegetables even with my vegetables before. And it was a super short time, mustard only comes to mind when I eat cold boiled eggs, everything else is just perfect alone or with some other normal food. I never was into sauces, spices are nice but very unneeded for most things… I am in the process of barely adding salt but well, I eat some smoked pork and that’s super salty, eggs don’t really need much anyway, cheese is already salty, what would I use salt for when I eat very little normal meat? I will measure my salt intake again soon, I am curious. I probably dropped it. originally I ate about 5g salt per day, it was perfect for me on low-carb and on keto alike. It went a bit up when smoked pork entered my life (no idea as I have no data about the salt percentage of my smoked pork. I imagine I went up to 8-10g on some days), it immediately caused problems (I just felt my life too salty, nothing else but it’s bad enough for me), I automatically started to use barely any extra salt and now it’s probably at the original level. But now I eat less than before… And I feel things salty. Even things I shouldn’t feel that salty.
Is it possible that I am more sensitive to both sweetness and saltiness now? Sour is still normal and I never handled bitterness well.
And why my few carnivore days changed me drastically and quickly, does it make any sense? I can go back to eating whatever for a short time and the changes stay with me.

(Edith) #91

I needed a lot of salt on keto, but much less on almost carnivore. I do salt my food, but I only supplement with extra salt if I start getting muscle cramps and/or aches.

:notes::notes: singing a happy song today!

:+1:

Yippie! I am down another 1/2 lb. on the scale. I am in such a good physically feeling great place. Deep down health like ya know…I got something ‘extra’ going down for myself and I know it is all zc related and I am just so happy I am feeling so great!

I have been reading about the ‘carnivore natural setpoint’ and what it takes to get here and I think my body finally releasing good but small amts of weight while eating so well is all about me being at a new setpoint and internal healing thru hormones and more. I feel ‘very balanced’ inside if one can feel that :raised_hands:

yesterday food was

2 big beef tenderloin steaks
10 link sausage

I got home later in the day. Wasn’t as hungry so I ate my first food later and it threw my day off. I could not eat a second meal, just didn’t want it. But I woke up with food on my mind so I will be eating on my normal 2 day meal pattern today, no having to run out and about. Got time for me today and eat well later.

ZC has put me into a ‘whole new healthy natural person’ category for sure and being older I needed it cause my goal was stop being sluggy, drop the gained weight I never liked, feel energized, and lift that brain fog and roll into further retirement age time that is coming in better shape than I was and I am accomplishing all that! Everyone who knows me, knows I am a zc supporter to the ultimate LOL This plan heals…we just don’t lose lbs thru any diet tricks or tips or manipulation…we heal internally thru eating great protein and fat and alot of it :slight_smile:

I also wish KD would find the forum again. I miss her pics of her great steak meals and her fun posts!!

Our Palooza for Aug is going well and we all cruising along and learning more about ourselves each day we eat a big old steak :wink:

Congrats! :smiley:

My weight did strange things lately (I mean, it went up maybe 1-2 months ago. my stable lil weight went significantly UP! it never did it this quickly, not when I massively overate on high-carb!) and it’s a bit hard to see what it does when only weeks pass but it’s definitely not near the heighest now that I have carnivore-ish days again.
But I want my normal lowest (11 stones, still very much) back. It’s a starting point to me, now I am not even there.
And then I will watch what happens. Very patiently, I am quite hopeful but more energy and feeling well is my first priority. I need to go to bed earlier as I doubt anything can help if I mess that part up (I sleep enough hours but it’s not the same as sleeping at the right time. I don’t want interference and I want the best I can have anyway).

Good luck, I hopefully disappear for a few days (forum addiction isn’t nice and I have the wrong woe anyway. it feels nice and I am careful though so I won’t come back with carb poisoning) but then I come back with meat and a bigger enthusiasm and commitment than usual!

@Fangs … YAY, FANGSY!!! Congrat’s! That is awesome. Those half pound increments sure add up fast! You’re rockin this.

@Shinita … You are soooo right about sleep! I feel fantastic and energetic when I get a good rest, I don’t feel anxious or want to eat horribly bad the next day. But, geez, the last two nights have been terrible. Rufus has gotten into this funk where she starts wandering around our room, then sticking her snout under the covers to nibble on toes/feet, trying to wake me up. She licked me across my face two nights ago. Waking up from a deep sleep to a doggie kiss was not ideal. She’s getting melatonin tonight before bed, because after two nights with this nonsense, I’m done with it.

And…life on the farm remains fun but frustrating. Managed to lose Roadrunner somewhere. She wandered off, and we don’t know where. None of the cows have escaped for at least a couple years. And she is just gone! I’m going to hike out back after the dew dries up, and see if I can find her. She could be off having a calf somewhere, for all I know.

Going to do my little workout, hork down some eggs and butter, and get to work in the kitchen with cleaning and some canning. Mwah, my carnivore peeps!!! Have a lovely day!

you chat up here with us all ya want S…we love having you here.
I said it before and will say it again, you experiment a bit on you. You ‘know you’ and your activity levels, the food you do best on and you are actively working it and have knowledge how to move forward…I point blank appreciate that about you and you are down to earth and just a cool person to chat with :sunny: I love hearing your life and how you are moving things around and making it all work.

Do what ya gotta when you have to do it and if you need time away from zc chat then it is cool but so come back cause I like ya!! It is ok to walk your walk how you need and lean more toward carnivorish ways that suit you but ya ain’t quite all in there yet. Many have walked this and in the end we do each find our own if we put in the commitment to do so!!

ain’t that the full truth of it all LOL

lost a cow? oh my, I know when something went missing like a goat I would wander and fence check the world. it is crazy but I am thinking ‘aliens’ might be involved :alien::alien:

but hope it all goes well cause that is alot of hoof to lose.

and to all of us, sleep is weirdo. Not one doubt about it. days I swear I won’t sleep well I zonk out. Days I know I should be tired I am wired. Days that are cloudy, icky and Tstorms and more I am tired, sunny happy hot days I am up…and ANY stress in our lives?

So it is never a great indicator of our menu in a way. So much effects sleep but we all hope for that overwhelming good one of course HAHA

Sleep I just let happen now ya know. It is what it is on any given day for me. But we are all diff. ages…all work diff…all have diff. stress levels and all have ‘true healing’ body time as we eat for health on zc…so in the end we all just deal :slight_smile: something we ALL know how to do, right? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

(Edith) #97

Well… I’ve decided I’m not ready for totally strict carnivore. I do enjoy my handful of berries and using hot sauce and mayo, particularly for chicken. I will use this month to prepared myself mentally and give it a go next month if there is a September-Palooza.

Found the cow. It calved out back by the pond. =) Got a red angus baby named Miss Mazie.

I don’t feel my freedom loving self would be a big problem at this point, I don’t need time or much change for a longer trial, I more like need meat. I have enough for ONE bigger meaty meal per week.
And fruit season, yes, that’s special. I think I can handle all the other siren songs now! So I am ready, I just need supplies.

I still need experiments but my body is quite clear. Some extra carbs occasionally? Fine. Not days in row and not too much. Carnivore(-ish… nothing is wrong with the odd half pickle in my case! if I fancy it, I eat it. it’s not an every day occurrence) as a default lifestyle sounds best. I make these decisions quickly. I went low-carb and knew high-carb is over. 6th day on keto and I made it my new default woe (I went off a lot, back to low-carb but I always returned). Carnivore was more surreal, it’s so not me. I was a veggie-lover ex-vegetarian who still almost never ate meat not long ago. Meat is still a bit odd. I always considered it proper food (I just didn’t eat it myself), that probably helps but still unusual. But I knew since the early days that my body likes very very low-carb now. So I want to stay as close to carnivore as I comfortably can most of the time, at the very least. I can’t go back, my body doesn’t like that and I don’t like tiny negative changes and ignoring tiny nudges. I want the best woe for me.
It is still not instant, it wouldn’t be that if I had all the meat I wanted either, I need some time but it’s very quick, it seems. I don’t need to force things, they change without extra efforts. I want some changes and it surely matters a lot, probably lots of unconscious things happen too. I have so many parts, inner selves and many of them pushes me in the same direction and only a few in the opposite one sometimes.

@SecondBreakfast: YAY!!! :heart:

@VirginiaEdie: There surely will be a new thread, nothing can stop this enthusiastic bunch but it will be named something else. No idea where Fangs gets this names but I love them :smiley:
I am all for doing things for our own way and I have no other option anyway. I like to try stricter approaches but even if the chosen woe is totally for me, sometimes I need a lot of time converging to it. Or at least a little, sometimes I drop my crutches away in some days. I notoriously fall/jump off from most wagon a lot (low-carb was an exception but that’s too easy) BUT I still benefit from them. The more very low-carb days I have, the better. I think my main goal is to lower my average carb intake counted for the whole week. It seems to matter the most but dropping certain plant matter (like peanuts) probably has its own extra benefit. This is the only plant matter that seems to be problematic for my body even when the carb content isn’t particularly high. I still ate it galore as it wasn’t that bad but it was unfortunate. And I suddenly lost this addiction when I tried carnivore. My peanut consumption on my off days quickly tapered off too. I tried to quit since ages before, with zero result… I am not a forceful one regarding food, I need special help when I don’t have a strong determination… Carnivore is good for “everything” but my coffee addiction…
Sorry, I actually didn’t want to talk about myself again… I mostly wanted to say that even not 100% is much better than not trying at all. For some, even that may be enough, at least for a while. So do what you can ~

(Edith) #100

I ate a lot of nuts and peanut butter while I was keto. I guess what I eat now is still technically keto, but it is way more carnivore than keto. Really, the only plants I eat are seasoning on my meat and berries.

I do take magnesium and calcium supplements. I tried stopping them for my complete carnivore trial, but within two days my restless legs started back up.

I’m the type of person that stresses if I don’t do something completely correctly, so pausing
my trial is definitely best for now.