August-Palooza!

(Elizabeth ) #61

Nausea can be a sign of hunger

(Kellyn ) #62

I was so nauseous that the smell of food was making me sick. I could not imagine eating with nausea.

It is normal. Many go thru times of loving their food and their food making their tummy go hmmm…again, many have walked this and again, your body is adapting BIG time for your changeover so hold strong…you are ok. Just eat what little you do desire and judge as you will and just wiggle room thru it all best ya can. Everyone has some form of this and you will find that little change you do in your eating day to make it all work for you…think if meat is tough go seafood or fish. If seafood is bad go some meat LOL or if only bacon floats your boat go for it. I had days I only ate 2 lbs. of bacon…1 in the morn and one in the evening cause it is all I wanted or could stomach and that is key…do for you at all times :wink:

(Kellyn ) #64

Thank you. I probably should have brought some more fat today because the steak was kind of lean. I did eat the gristle which was hard to get down. Maybe that could have caused the nausea. I think I will just eat bacon tonight and maybe some liver.

I never can imagine eating with nausea but I very rarely have it and it’s never hunger. It’s surely very, very individual. It surely can be zillion different things…

I had nausea due to much fat (compared to my food in general) in the very beginning, I think I wrote it not long ago. I probably still could have it if I overdid fat but now I would need a ton…

But it can be so many things…

Right now, I feel “I am way too full with way too fatty food” nausea. Maybe putting super satiating bacon into my already very fatty quiche wasn’t the good idea for now (it was very, very, very tasty :smiley: it will be superb another time. maybe I won’t add extra yolks). Or eating without desire but I dislike undereating and eating some more usually ends well.
I don’t understand what is the problem of my body now. Oh well, tomorrow I eat some lean fish, that should do good after today. And only eat when I feel like.
And I really minimize the lactose now. I run out of heavy cream, it helps.

(Kellyn ) #66

Last night I decided to skip my magnesium supplement and I slept all night. It was the best sleep I’ve had since I can’t even remember. I am going to cut out the magnesium and see if I continue to sleep all night.

absolutely cut supplements. only supp if you truly need it like if you have bad cramps one ‘might’ take magnesium but on zc we drop it all…so yea get rid of it. we never supp just to supp…heck we don’t know truly if we are deficient or not so why take crap if ya don’t know? only a Dr mineral/vitamin report will give us truths on that.

nice thing is since we are changing so much we can’t truly know what is effecting us…alot of times I would get waves of nausea but real fast it would be gone and I would eat like a queen still…so just soldier on…you got this and you will be ok. Eat anything you want and desire and feel good on and anything animal kingdom you do is a plus…just take each meal and run with it as you need

WELL. Just getting home after a long but fruitful day at work, a trip to the farm, then to the other farm, then back to the first farm, then home. Ran the doggie, gathered yet more eggs, did the epsom salts water on my squashies, watered the chickens and turkeys, moved some large rocks into the border of my flower garden, and finally am relaxing.

After work, hubby texted and begged for pizza. He was on the tractor, still baling - way out in the final field of a farm. So, I ordered pizza (and wings for me) while I was sitting in the parking lot at work. Waited a bit, picked it up, hauled it way out to him. While there, he gave me the air compressor to fill at our farm, and bring back so he could blow out the tractor engine. So. I did that, then stopped at the beach to say hi to my kiddo, then came home and did a few chores. (Threw some laundry in also.) I’m not tired yet, so that’s good. Still got some kitchen cleaning to tackle.

Eats today were eggcellent! :laughing::laughing: Eggs and butter for breakfast. Meatysagna for lunch. Wings for dinner. The Meatysagna is basically about 3-4 pounds of ground beef, mixed with Italian herbs and salt. A splatter of near-zero carb pizza sauce, and the ricotta/asiago cheeses mixed with eggs. sliced provolone makes a good sub for noodles. Anyways, I make a few pans of this now and then, freeze in portions and take to work for long shifts.

Well. Gotta go pick up a kid or two. They are stranded at the beach. LOL!

I love being back at work after working online for the first half of the year. I work in an open plan studio with a whole bunch of creative, arty and computer competent people. We create stuff.

The exciting thing is the very low carb diet has set me up for two 24 hour fasts per week. That’s the key part of this post. @Fangs will attest that I am not the best zero-carber in the packet. But I do come back to these zero-carb chill threads and keep having a go. The WOE works well for easing toward incorporating time restricted feeding.

I have long working days on Tuesday and Wednesday. So I do start the days with a fat-added black coffee, just one at about 8am and I only eat a very low carb meal at about 7pm on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights. I feel great at work, no brain fog, no tiredness.

Tuesday nights are 2 or 3 beef slow baked ribs.

Last night (Wednesday) I had 112g pork liver pate, 100g pork and sage terrine, 60g triple cream aged brie, and 200g smoked salmon. My mum says I will get gout as she was offering side servings of sauerkraut and olives, which I declined but noticed she wasn’t offering salad or bread (maybe some nutritional osmosis happening?).

Back to 2MAD today by adding 11:30 am egg and bacon breakfasts for the next 5 days with the animal and meat based dinners at about 5:30pm. Tonight is scotch fillet steak and some “all meat” sausages (no plant based fillers).

Tell me more about this interesting thing, please? Sounds like a method to get magnesium into pumpkin.

I have experienced this when eating a beef and salt meal. It’s like “uh, oh, maybe shouldn’t have taken that last bite…” then it passes. It can be the off switch for hunger. Because I push the plate away. If I modified my eating pace, or the idea that I need to finish what is on my plate, especially if someone else has made it for me, I may not hit the nausea wave.

You must be younger than me for sure…I know how tough it is what a ‘real job’ which I did also…then we had 3 farms. The 100 acre main farm, 19 acres ‘down the road a-piece’ which was my in-laws and they let us use the land however, then I had our home on 5 acres where we kidded out goats and my riding horses. Like you it ain’t no joy ride but when ya love it, ya don’t mind it but it can be backbreaking for sure :slight_smile: Love reading your posts SB…you so remind me of my farm life for sure!!

Sounds like you are doing very very well on plan–hold tight!

FB, for me it was in the beginning of zc. I do not get waves of nausea anymore. That was more back in the day when transitioning…just saying cause I don’t anyone thinking I have troubles on zc now, I just don’t :slight_smile: Just wanted to clarify that…that wave of nausea usually hits new people doing zc and they need to handle their adaption times and more healing, so as they go thru this they can get the nausea feeling, but it surely passes for darn near every zc person that has gone fully into this way of life.

FB your little foray into the other plans is cool to me :slight_smile: I get ya…you are doing what works into your life right now and finding zc days very satisfying also. You kinda got a very good thing going down for you right now. As long as you feel great? Anything you do for that is always a plus…don’t work too hard now :wink:

Tell your Mum we at the zc thread say HI… :hugs:

Luckily my mom says the opposite now—finally—since it was oh lets get pizza, oh you don’t eat pizza, lets make chili, oh you need no beans and so on…now she doesn’t even ask anymore. She says, I am having lunch, you go home now and eat your meat :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:—finally got her to stop about food with me LOL

Well, I’ve struggled with the gardening thing for a long time since moving this far north. We’ve worked to amend the soil with various manures. Slowly, it improved a bit. But the plants never seemed to consistently thrive with deep dark leaves and lots of blossoms. I remembered that my Mom used to use add epsom salts to water when she would care for some her houseplants, and then I saw that suggestion again on Pinterest. Honestly, I didn’t do a heck of a lot of research. I just knew that my Mom did it, it worked, and so I bought some at the store a couple months ago. I didn’t think our soil was deficient in magnesium because our hay was tested for nutrient levels, and magnesium levels were stellar. So, the only thing I can figure is maybe the soil was just really dense, and the plants weren’t sucking up enough nitrogen, etc - and the added magnesium from the epsoms salts helped it to do that? I did a terrible job keeping up with the wees pulling, so the weeds may have sucked out a lot of nutrients too.

I dissolved about a 1/2 cup in a gallon of water, and doused my seeds with it when I started them in the house. For the ones that I planted outside later in the summer, I just watered them with the solution 3-4 times, and the plants are ridiculously huge now, with massive dark green leaves and tons of blossoms. The seeds that I started in house were tomatoes, and a few beans. I’ve always trouble getting the tomatoes to germinate, but not this year. (The seeds are heirloom seeds, and not contaminated w all the crap that some commercial seeds are.) The tomatoe plants are starting to sag from the weight of all the fruits. The cukes are filled with blossoms and the vines are twice as long as other years, but they needed more help, I think. They were not quite as dark and leafy as the squash. The squashies include yellow crooked neck, buttercup, butternut, hubbard, acorn and Connecticut Sugar Pie and Big Max pumpkins, maybe a zucchini - but I have not found that one yet. We had a hard rain, and some of the seeds floated away from their hills. I have never seen so many blossoms, nor have I seen the plants get this massive. One of the Hubbard plants has grown nearly 20 feet long.

My family really enjoys the veggies, and I store squash to eat during the winter months here, as they LOVE all the squashes. My youngest son is especially fond of the pies made from fresh pumpkins.

So, that’s really all I can say. Just guessing about the magnesium improving nitrogen absorption, though.

Woke up feeling great, still holding my low. Feel fan-tab-u-lous!

darn I had no crab legs left in the freezer…disappointed. so wanted them but now will wait for new sale…when it goes down, my freezer count on crab will go back up from 0 to hmm, alot :wink:

yesterday food was

1 lb. ribeye steak
1 lb. of jumbo shrimp…dipped in homemade alfredo sauce

1/3 lb. cheeseburger patty
1 chicken breast
paired with a tin of sardines

On a sardine roll lately. Out of them now, need to buy more very soon, I rely on them cause when I want them, I WANT them and then I forget about them for a while and then one day I say OMG I need a sardine! :roll_eyes: who knows!

Got busy day happening. Run here, do this, visit mom today and shop, then home to work pool and more.

but when I get home, first priority is I am eating up 2 big chunky nice beef tenderloin steaks.

Soldier on with ZC!

Yeah, there is a good bit of land that we cover for haying. The family farm was originally 120 acres, then when my hubby was in college, he bought 40 acres from the guy next door and added on. They we bought another adjoining 40ish acres from another fellow a couple years ago. But, it can’t all be hayed due to water and some overgrowth of junk trees (poplars and swamp alders.) So, we cut fields up and down the road for folks who don’t want their land to get innudated with weeds and alders. So we do about 260 acres for one couple, then, who knows how many acres we do on that last farm. Hubby topped out at 89 large round bales off one field there. And, that is a record! So, if we’re careful, we actually have enough for almost 2 winters now. We’ve never done that much hay, ever. Nor have we done it this early in the season. He was able to cut, flip and bale the last field all within a 36 hour window due to wind and low humidity. It’s absolutely prime, so we are going to start transporting it back to the barns tonight, so that the rain doesn’t get it on Saturday.

Green Acres is the place to be! LOL!!!

OH! My “girls” laid 11 eggs yesterday! YAY!

Hubby is taking our youngest son to WI on Saturday to buy a car, so he’s going to try and find a Fleet Farm on the way. I love that store! Told him to get me more canning jars. Having a hard time find those around here for some reason.

And, my boss is sending me on a week long trip in September to another store location, which happens to be somewhat closer to an Aldi’s. So, I am plotting out my plans now for an Aldi run. Hoping I will have a new refrigerator by then, so I can actually store cold foods again!

Not sure if you have a Menards store near you, but they have fantastic prices on tinned fishes like sardines and kippers. =)

That reminded me of these Portugese sardines.

I stayed in the village where the cannery is. It’s a surfing area. You could smell the fish canning on the offshore breeze. We surfed there for a few days. We ate lots of omelettes and had a few lunches of pan-fried pork mixed with mussels. Portuguese food was so good! We also drank a lot of port. I was young.

Sardines go great in omelettes.

I would love to get some of these sardines. The best I can do is “Portuguese-style” sardines (and silver mackerel) but they are canned in Thailand, so I’m not so sure on their ‘olive oil’ as Thailand is not renowned for its olive groves. Crazy thing is that we have the healthiest blue sardine fishery in the world just off the beach here, but I can’t get local sardines except at sardine festival time as they are all exported. The same goes for the lobster. The world is messed up like that.

My wife had blood tests last week as she was low energy. She is naturally in ketosis daily as she is metabolically flexible and generally eats low carb and whole foods. Her fasting insulin was 2. That is amazing. But her iron stores are very low, but she is not anaemic. She won’t eat beef. Once she was an ethical vegetarian. So we had to look for iron rich foods to supplement her iron tablet prescription. She is smart enough to realise that iron from plants is not very accessible. I’m not sure she will go for organ meats. But she will eat sardines. And sardines are full of minerals and iron, and with being an animal-based food source those nutrients are bio-available. Yay! for sardines. After 2 days on iron tablets and 2 cans of sardines, she feels much stronger in her daily yoga practice.

You are/were heros with all that farm work… I can’t even handle my little garden. But the plants are fine except most vegetables, the soil must be too weak for them, I do know it’s weak, we improve it all the time but we aren’t there yet. But the tomatoes are thriving :smiley:
This garden is best for flowers, other decorative plants and fruits. We have no problem with the fruits except I almost get a heart attack when some trees mean business and they fill 12 mason jars per day (okay, that’s just the apricot tree. one. and I had 3 in the beginning). We use no chemicals.
Williams pear season just began, it will be over in no time and if something, this fruit spoils right away, totally impossible to store if it’s already ripe. And pressure canning takes away most of its charm, well not for Alvaro so it’s fine. I hope he will be able to deal with all the fruit we have. He promised me he won’t buy a ton of apples this autumn. I will be there so indeed, we won’t buy much. We have too much own just not apples. My apple trees are summer apples, tiny or old and we cut it back and now it only have thin branches, a lot. Oh and Granny Smith, the huge, pretty one that throws away apples at such an alarming rate I am surprised it still have some. It always does that. It’s young and very tall. Not wide, just tall.
By the way, my summer apple trees are real warriors. The burnt one sprouted new leaves (and it’s blooming, it seems new leaves means new flowers for it). The other one with its trunk almost torn into two, it totally lay on the ground back then, I thought it totally died but Alvaro was a bigger optimist and make it stand again, well it sprouted new leaves too. It feels nice. I love all my trees. So the fire caused no casulties for us, it seems and it probably only killed a few bushes at others. But we will see next year, some young silver birches has burned leaves. Ours are big and they are fine, it’s bad enough the ice was too heavy for the top of one last winter.

Yay for the 11 eggs, that’s nice! How many hens do you have, I don’t remember if it was mentioned, @SecondBreakfast? :slight_smile:

So happy for you! I tell ya great hay is key for us as we all know. Hay season is so darn stressful, glad you came thru in top form. We did round and square. The square we conveyered up above the horse stalls in our barn…store it up there above the stalls and then we had a massive hay round bale barn. I love rounds. So much hay in one fast use ya know. Squares are so awkward. We did a few good acres in wheat hay…we sold that at top dollar…people around here loved wheat hay bales and that gave us some money in the old pocket :slight_smile: We sold all the equip. to bale hay, eh, kinda glad that part is over for us now HAHA