August-Palooza!

(Edith) #241

I have soaked liver in vinegar water, but I did it too long and it made the liver mushy, so be careful.

I have also soaked the liver in full fat coconut milk and I “liked” that. It’s still not my favorite food, that’s for sure.

(Kellyn ) #242

how long did you soak it?

(Kellyn ) #243

My Zero Carb Life t-shirt came today! I can’t wait to wear it out. I even got a signature from Kelly Hogan herself! :star_struck:

HI!! Welcome to the zc challenge thread!!

Yea if you are one where plant based is making you more sick then healthy I sure get that and heading into carnivore is a great way to roll.

Some prepared foods are good. I use some also. You will know the ones that suit you or the ones that have too much ‘whatever’ in them and don’t set well. Processd for us products in the animal kingdom are hit and miss for alot of us.

I absolutely understand this! I am one who doesn’t want to ‘cook’ also but you know a crockpot can make literally alot of lbs of meat in one touchless cook :slight_smile: Means you got meat in the fridge for alot of meals but again, I am not a gadget gal in the kitchen either :slight_smile: so I get why ya don’t wanna use all this stuff LOL

best of luck and hope your zc journey is a great one!

Hey that is very cool. I seen them out there but never bought one. I chat up with her on my zero carb facebook forums. What I love about her is she is just a regular old ZC person :slight_smile: Doing zc and loving it like everyone but she is a great voice out there to promote zc for sure!

good morning zc peeps

just cruising along.
doing wonderful.
feeling fab.

nothing much doing. Just letting zc do its thing.

yesterday was
1 lb. ribeye steak
10 link sausage
1 chicken breast

Not alot of food truly for me but hunger didn’t kick in alot. Those little sausage links kinda sat on my gut and took away my appetite a bit so I just gagged down a hunk of chicken and called it a day :wink:

I am finding these little link sausage ain’t setting as good with me. Always ate them and did fine with some in my meals but each time I eat them now it seems I bloat up a bit? Probably the crap in them but they are good quality product but? or the fact that pork just isn’t my friend as much as it used to be. I noticed I am walking away from pork kinda totally now except for a few chops every now and then and some ribs when I get a hankering… oh well, I might be dropping them cause I just don’t like them as I used to,…and that is a zc thing for me. I find my taste change and I wanna drop certain meats from my life. Processed sausage is now on my hit list I think :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: So not worrying about it, just won’t probably buy it anymore. No biggie, ain’t no problem on dropping stuff. Just roll with the flow.

Thought I’d share a pic if the new fridge in its happy new home!

(Polly) #247

What a lovely fridge. So happy to see it at last.

LOL! Me too!

Half of the freezer is dedicated to meat. The other half is all the rest of the stuff that the fam. wants.

I am working on cleaning out/re-arranging my other freezers to get ready for more beef- in roughly 10-12 days. Pretty sure we ate most of the steaks from the last one, so, I am anxious to get my hands on more.

Went out for dinner tonight- took the youngest son, 23, out for his birthday. I, of course, got a ribeye. Everyone else got Mexican. I’m just so depleted of iron, even with taking 4 Iron Complex a day right now–I’m still craving more iron. When this episode is over, sure hope to feel normal again.

SB that is some big nice new fridge! I know you are smiling with that thing in the house finally!!!

Hope you start to feel better and get over this episode!!!

HI Aug. ZC peeps!

all going well.
no new loss at all but holding my new low so that is good.

you know it was funny yesterday cause nothing hit me to eat. In that my steak was like not a draw, nothing was. I did eat my steak which was yum but after I was hungry again but not hungry…not hungry enough to cook anything :slight_smile:

That is a way I base how darn hungry I truly am…am I willing to cook for my hunger LOL I find this is a simple way for me to judge me with true hunger and it works well. All I ate was my steak. I of course got hungry way later in the evening but then it was like, heck no, or sleeping would be horrible so I just let it go. Woke up not hungry again. I am in that non-hungry zone I get sometimes and will just roll thru it as usual. I have ravenous times and ‘don’t need hardly any food’ times and of course always let ZC rule which way I will follow.

Got 2 nice beef tenderloin steaks for later when I get back from my errands. After that? Not sure. I have burger meat defrosted to make meatballs for the family with spaghetti tonight, so might make a small burger out of that for me later if hungry.

ahh, never worry about eating. I eat when I want and don’t when I don’t wanna :wink:

Our days are counting down fast now and heading into our Sept. challenge thread to work our zc plans to the fullest and gain all the wonderful benefits we get from it!!

@Fangs … So glad you’re rollin’ along and rockin’ this! I know what you mean…that hunger-limbo. But you have a great way to test how hungry you are! The flip side is, if someone sets a steak in front of me- and they are doing the cooking and cleaning…I ain’t gonna say no, unless I’m fasting. For instance, yesterday when we went out to dinner, I wasn’t super duper hunger, but still knew the extra iron would be handy. So, I ordered it. The ribeye was one of the thinnest ribeyes I’ve ever seen in my life (disappointing), but I really didn’t stuff myself.

Had a weird night—could not fall asleep until well after midnight, and still got up before 6am. So far, I’ve unloaded the dishwasher, reloaded it, ran it, and cleaned the kitchen up. Going to wash some of the fresh eggs up and put them in the fridge. There’s a gazillion all over my counter! Well, gotta get ready for work too. Have a happy and blessed day, my peeps! Carnivore on!!!

LOL no one in this house will cook for me. Sad thing is I do for them but luckily hubby cooks a bunch of his icky stuff he likes cause he likes it ‘his way’. I have to say tho…it is rare I wouldn’t eat a steak when ‘in not hungry mode’ but there are alot of times I refuse food. I just can’t eat when I don’t want it. Many times I go out to eat with family and only order like a shrimp cocktail cause I ain’t hungry but they ‘want out’ to socialize and all so I go.

Yes if you need food you are gonna eat it just to get even that extra iron you want, and oh boy, those skinny ribeyes are just horrible if ya ask me…I bought and ate many in my life, now I skip the skinny ones and go for those super thick ones! Yum, they got the flavor LOL

Hey I had toss and turn sleep night…hit the bed around 12 with who knows when I drifted off and up at 5. Farmer in me, early morning means get up and get goiing :wink: Once up I can’t go back to sleep ever, just get my day started and go on til I pass out later in the evening.

You had a busy morn and got a busy day! Hope you feel ok thru it

Oh yeah… Lost 9 pounds since Saturday. Not even trying really. It was all because of you-know-what. ugh. ugh. ugh.

Got iron pills in my pocket to take to work. Should be fine. I shall report back. =)

I left the forum as it’s a negative addiction to me but I couldn’t resist today…

Oh. I never liked creamy potatoes, just crunchy ones (when Mom made puree, I went and fried it… I was a stubborn one). But potatoes are all about TASTE. It’s like meat, it’s completely impossible to imitate. So texture doesn’t matter, it’s a fail right away. And not only potatoes have a very unique and strong potato taste (if they are good) - cauliflowers have a very unique and strong cauliflower taste. It’s insane to me that anyone tries to substitute one with the other. Even using seitan instead of pork sounds a way more reasonable thing and I am quite sensitive about that too.
But for example, I liked the rice -> “riced cauli” substitution epic fail (at least rice is almost tasteless :)) as I don’t like rice and I like cauliflower. Liked. Sometimes it crosses my mind I haven’t eat it in many months except when it finds its way into some soup but that’s rare and the amount is so tiny I don’t even notice it. Loved, even. Riced cauli immediately got banned when I learned about it on keto… I just couldn’t fit it into my 40g net carbs limit. Rice would be easier to squeeze in, well I did it a few times but rice was almost never worth it.

But don’t talk about such things I don’t even eat on low-carb. Potatoes still happen but super rarely, Alvaro must make some super tempting potato dish, FULL with eggs and sausage and sour cream and cheese… And then I wonder maybe I should just skip the potato part… Potatoes are super tasty as most plants but I still don’t want them, it’s some cold distant acknowledge of the taste, it’s so weird.

So no, I usually don’t expect the substitution to be similar and then I often get a nice dish :smiley:

Oh yeah liver in HWC, I only heard about such things but I will try it one day. I can’t get proper liver so I just fry my occasional chicken livers in 20-30 minutes (it never gets ready earlier, how others do it? oh well, it’s fine), with a wee bit of onion… So good :slight_smile:
Hmmm, iron… well I don’t care, I had no problem with iron as a vegetarian either and that almost no liver per year does little to my iron intake and I just have to try the HWC thing. But I keep this in mind… Or be lazy and end up never trying it out…

@SecondBreakfast: YAY for the fridge again!!! My next one will be a pretty one too, definitely not white. Well I covered it with some interesting stuff so it’s golden brown and not smooth and awesome, it’s one reason I don’t want a new one though it’s far from perfect… But works and we don’t throw out working stuff.
White is boring to me.
Mmmm, looks like a nice big one.

My tiny freezer is full with pears now (they are awesome, by the way) and I want meat in it :sob:
I still can’t bring myself to have a lot of fish. Yeah, I surely can make it in a tasty way… But still, it’s just fish. Why the effort…

I do plan to come back in the beginning of September, as long as I can ~
And November MUST be carniore-ish. It’s one of the lucky months without a raging fruit season or Santa/Christmas/gingerbread (I don’t go crazy in December, I am a hedonist who hates carb poisoning even then and I have my good habits and I obviously ignore even the carby salad at Christmas dinner but carbs do happen). We merely will have a lot of apples in November but I resisted them last year too and now we will have less so I won’t be forced to pressure can apples while trying to do carnivore.
So I collect enough meat for November when the farm is back. And for January, the month with the best chances for carnivore or keto. I am quite ready for a super low-carb January-April time but it’s all about my meat supply. I try to get used to fish, it would be hard without that… And it’s proper food, I just need to do something with my fat intake when I eat much lean meat but I have ideas.

So I can do this now. Planning, making my resolve stronger, being on FB when the farm offers meat and having some carni days when I can. Or almost. I still just want a very low-carb woe but most plants are basically out so I won’t ever do some usual keto again, I guess. But we will see.

Sorry, I really shouldn’t be here but it’s an interesting topic and I am really stubborn and have plans, I just need to be patient. And be fine until I can realize them, I think I do it okay right now, my body isn’t complain and I feel very well and I don’t even track, that’s nice. I will if I have very simple days again, I am curious.

Holy moly…wow…9 down is stellar but of course no one likes getting it thru something like you went thru but hey, if you gotta be icky then ya might as well get rewarded on that scale HAHA

I know, right? LOL you can’t tell me mashed cauli is mashed taters…they ain’t even close in any way to even pretend you are subbing a tater :wink: So agree with you!!

yea this is hard part cause those taters fit right into that dish don’t they and give it that more appetizing taste. I understand this but you can definitely swipe around the taters if ya want!! Remember that picture of FB’s dog Billie, he put meat and fat into a bowl with some kibble and the dog left the kibble and ate all the good stuff, if the dog can do it HAHA

Well one thing S is that if you want more carni days you just have to make them happen ya know. In that if this path is the way you seem to be heading more, then make a few little more conscious efforts to go into this direction. I mean in the end that is all ya can do if you want this kinda path to head into more zc.

fruit…never a fruit fan so none of that fruit you mention will ever entice me LOL watermelon and canteloupe and some blueberries was my little bit of fruit and even then I rarely ever ate that crap anyway…lucky for me fruit was never a thing. I can easily skip any and all fruit in my life and never give it another thought.

very very simple food days are truly a key factor in my life. I require them. They make me happy…the minute ‘food becomes a thing or involvement’ for me is when I get flustered cause I hate the kitchen and never interested in baking or anything, so any food chat in reality ain’t me. Simple, fast, delish are keys I gotta have to function in life.

(Polly) #256

Hope you feel better today @SecondBreakfast. Iron pills make me feel nauseous, so hoping that doesn’t affect you too.

I am jogging along in ZC mode and have shaken off the half stone I put on during the initial lockdown phase of Covid-19. Most importantly, to me, I am feeling well and that is a good feeling. I am 7 weeks and 3 days into ZC mode this time and have no plans to slide out again for the foreseeable future.

WOW this is a fab post to read and I am happy, happy, and another happy for ya!!! I tell ya if one holds zc and just eats as they need, what they love and can afford and enjoys the heck out of their meals, they can hold long and transform into a whole new you :slight_smile: And it sounds like you are doing just that!!!

You got any questions or need to chat stuff out you just come on and chat with us other zc’ers…we all got each other’s backs :sunny: I know I relied on so many zc veterans and they got me thru and they gave me great help when I required it…so you jump in and chat away if ya need it and tell us how you are doing cause being 7 weeks, you can still get hit with some adaption troubles…so if ya do, chat them out!!

Glad to see you are doing so well. that 1/2 stone gone is sweet!!!

(Kellyn ) #258

Yesterday I had a small steak and the remains of my roast with all the fat I made this past weekend. Dinner was rib tips and soda water. I have had butter in my coffee since Monday, but I felt an almost flare of my eczema last night, so today and moving forward it is black coffee only. My back is still killing me from where I injured it Sunday playing volleyball. I am hoping it is just a muscle injury, but it is still quite painful with certain movements. It is especially painful at night when I move from one side to the other and when getting out of my car. I had to get my husband to help me with my socks and shoes this morning because I can’t bend that far without pain. My friend today told me that her husband’s cardiologist told him to stop eating red meat because it and his smoking is the main cause of his heart attack. I know that red meat is not the cause of heart attacks after all my research, but I am not one to argue with people because I am just not good at it and I don’t like drama on any level. I just keep eating my red meat and keep watching my health change for the better.

(Laurie) #259

Thanks, all.

@Fangs , I used to love to cook. But as I get older I have to leave some things behind. Also, I use a shared kitchen, so it isn’t practical to cook certain things. Especially now with Covid concerns.

Yesterday started out fine. I had two meals of cold salmon cakes, which would have been enough food for the day. Then I went to a friend’s for the evening. I was told it wasn’t going to be a meal, but it was, and I didn’t resist. Plant-based food is my Achilles heel, and I eat huge amounts because it makes me hungry.

Oh well, carnivore fail but a learning experience I guess.

(Liz) #260

Not been here for some time…fell off the wagon badly and only just clambered back aboard about 6 weeks ago. I was keto and have already dropped 15 of the many pounds I put back on…but it seems that, this time, dairy may be a bit of a trigger…well cream and cheese anyway. So starting on Monday I am trying zc, although I am not yet willing to give up my beloved morning coffee! Appetite already much more under control, in fact will have to make sure I don’t go too low on calories too often as my body has years of yo yo dieting to move past. Hopefully not too late to join in to your Palooza? Really enjoyable reading through this thread and relearning my lesson…again! Feels to me that keeping it simpler will make the difference, no ‘replacement carbs’, learning now they really just kept me craving carbs and were not helping with my long term goals of improved health and weight loss.