August-Palooza!

It’s not just fresh rain water. It’s the freshest in the world. It is about 4km to the coast (heading west) and we are on the first major ridge (we can see the sea). Then it’s just Indian Ocean until South Africa, about 5500 miles. No land masses no smog, no other nations in the way of my refreshing drink. :slight_smile:

:hugs: cool cause if your stations were serving good stuff like that driving around wouldn’t be so bad :rofl: our stations are nightmares on what they offer ‘as food’ for sure.

we did croc or alligator jerky around here and it is good but you don’t see it much. Heck I would hound down gator more if I could find it but we have to go more into the ‘cajun southern area’ for good gator.

croc eggs in that terrine? cool. nothing we could find around me but I would also hound down gator eggs too :slight_smile:

eggs are eggs and meat is meat to me.

I need a meat chef. I would love someone making my every meal for sure. I never liked the kitchen. Which was to my detriment in the end, I was a fan of 24/7 fast food…omg. It murdered me for sure.

It’s complicated in my life. Low carb substitutes are often way better than the original :smiley: It’s so cool.
Of course, it depends. I dislike flour taste (for example, I feel it in pancakes with flour. eww). I love potato taste but I always knew very well that they are absolutely impossible to substitute for me as I like the flavor and nothing else has it.
To some extent, many ketoers and vegans are similar. They try to substitute something with a unique flavor and maybe even texture. Not just replacing it with something else but really saying it’s just like that or almost, you can’t notice the difference… I very nearly always feel HUGE difference. I rather forget about the whole thing, seriously. I can’t even understand when they make it very complicated… I like cooking but I don’t want to spend a lot of time on a single lil thing that isn’t even my main dish.
Well, each to their own, if they feel it great and same or better, good for them, just don’t say it is just the same or better in general. Or at least accept that it’s very far from the truth for others.

I will behave and won’t talk about bread :smiley: Much. I find both my wheat and keto bread not really good. Eggs are way better. Meat is obviously better, it’s an easy win most of the time and breads aren’t the tastiest things though I met some super tasty ones in my life and I actually know how to make one but that’s a tad carby and not so good for me. I have better things to eat and I never really needed bread and it was a decade ago when I cut out bread without a problem so it’s fine. But I have empathy and I love various food, I can understand not everyone is like this.

Nowadays I have one important low-carb substitute but it’s pretty general… Boiled egg.

My family is very different from yours, of course. Alvaro is health-conscious and he immensely enjoy his high-carb life :slight_smile: He is healthier than me (and I am quite healthy but I don’t have months without even a headache. I try to change this, it’s very annoying to buy more than one sheet headache pill a year. I actually hate needing any ever) and he feels good. It’s fortunate as he absolutely can’t go low-carb, he can’t even try it for a day (unless I make it happen. once. I won’t do it again in the next decade, it’s stressful to me). Low-carb to him is almost like low-fat to me. No. Way. But he enjoys low-carb meals while a low-fat meal is an abomination to me. So his body probably is flexible but he can’t imagine savory low-carb meals except the sesame muffins I make sometimes. Most food triggers carbs along with it. It’s like me with a not fatty food. I automatically add fat and nothing can stop me - or I will suffer. And there is nothing wrong with adding our things from our viewpoint so we are super unmotivated in the change. I try to accept he is like this (and I actually do and it’s all fine) but I can’t help but wonder what I could do about it… Well, nothing. And why should I break that works? So I do nothing but my brain has its stupid obsessions… It’s fun experimenting with Alvaro but the wriggle room is super tiny :smiley: It’s good I have myself. I have some limited power over me.

I don’t write about my current state, it’s the usual. It would be nice to have meat but tomorrow we finally make the tiny chicken we spared until now and probably eat it pretty quickly. And then we will see. I want to be very low-carb again.
I am very sure my few carni days changed my satiation. Is there some physical explanation or it’s mental, no idea but I definitely changed. I did this with keto too, I benefited from my keto times off keto as well but I needed proper keto months for that.

(Edith) #224

I loved cooking and especially baking. When I changed to keto, it was very fun for me to find tasty keto recipes. It was a bit of a transition to switch to almost all meat, because I did miss making the delicious keto recipes. Now, a year into keto-canivore, I am finally not missing it. I definitely appreciate the little time I spend in the kitchen.

We just went on a mini vacation and rented a condo with a kitchen. Cooking meat, eggs, and bacon made meat time (oops, I meant mealtime) soooooo easy.

If this is how good ya did with them, you need to start a cookbook and show others how to make good stuff LOL cause any subs I made were icky but of course I compared then to the tastes of my old time favs. I can’t even pretend they tasted like the old time favs. When I want a substitute for a good meal I used to make, none of my meals came even close. I gave up for sure HAHA

you know many who were great bakers and such really had to mourn their lost kitchen time when they went zc. Some people chat about just that. Using baking etc. as a stress reducer and more and really enjoy being a chef type. Luckily that wasn’t me ever :slight_smile: I ran from the kitchen at all times! Glad you aren’t missing it as much now.

good August morning

still holding my low, just cruising thru zc and doing very well

we got sun and hot weather today. I am swimming the day away, floating around in the pool and not gonna do much. It is a me, relax, do nuttin’ day for this old gal.

I hope everyone is eating well. Keep the good meat/seafood on hand and don’t let your fat intake go low.

yesterday was
1 lb. ribeye steak
a 1 lb. bag of jumbo shrimp
1/2 lb. cheeseburger patty
1 tin of sardines

eating good in the neighborhood. full and happy!!

woke up super not hungry. First meal when I eat will be a beef tenderloin steak…after that not sure. seafood/chicken/maybe ribs? not sure where the second meal will go but right now I have no interest in it.

be good today everyone, zc the day away!!

The refrigerator transition went smoothly! Got my new Whirlpool baby all set. The two guys HD sent were very professional, and cleaned up. They moved the old fridge to the garage downstairs- so I have my glorified stainless steel shelving unit front and center down there. The new fridge has less space, which is fine. All of the shelves are adjustable. Ice maker works- which is great. Transitioned all the foodies over last night after I got home from work. Gotta clean out my workshop fridge now. Ugh.
ZC was fine yesterday. Wasn’t too hungry as the whole ‘Aunt Flo’s visit from hell’ has really killed my appetite. Just had about 4 oz of chuck roast and a couple hard boiled eggs at work. Then a piece of chicken when I got home. Oh, and another 4 ibuprofen before bed. Cramping was so bad, I couldn’t sleep through it. So, I popped my little medicated tic tacs. Are they ZC? Don’t know. Don’t care. I slept like a baby though.
This morning, cramps are back. Drinking my Aeropress coffee now. I’ll have to take a Claritin before long. Allergy symptoms now are INSANE up here. And for me sneezing is very very dangerous, due to the Aunt Flo issues. Such a rotten thing to deal with. Grrrrrrrr.

Anyways. regarding the talk about cooking and baking. … I LOVE cooking baking—all of that. So, while I stay ZC carnivore, I still cook ketogenic meals for my family when I have the time and opportunity. Even if I can’t stop them from eating breads, grains, sugar, etc, I CAN reduce how much of that stuff they eat by keeping keto foods handy. Like the Keto pizza- where the crust is made from egg and cheese. Or the waffles (Chaffles), pancakes, cookies and desserts.

Well, time to get moving. Carnivore cheers to you all!

(Keto Koala 🐨) #228

I’m in carb heaven…:scream:. So that’s why I’m not in here much.:upside_down_face:. I’ll be a good girl and come back once I stop eating a million potatoes.:see_no_evil: Weirdly I don’t crave sweet at all. Since massive strict Carni most of the year… but the carbs. I’m not in ketosis. And yeah…:scream:. But I feel like corned beef…when I’m back to Carni…Mmmmm corned beef with mustard…and cheese sauce…:heart_eyes:

I doubt I was so good, well I think I did good sometimes but it’s probably my personal taste :slight_smile:
I love eggs :smiley: To the extremes, sometimes… And I love fat. So I can make tasty low-carb things easily… And if I wasn’t into the original, it helps too.
It’s near impossible to avoid disappointment if we want something very similar to a carby food without much carbs. As carbs are very very apperent. Fat too. Most low-fat vegan thing is insane to me when the original is all about eggs and fat. It won’t work, no matter what magic they may use. Maybe the result will be awesome for them, it’s possible, I never will understand human taste, I had a collegue who loved UHT flavor in dairy. And people like donuts, those sprinkly common not home made abominations. Mindblowing to me, I never considered those really edible and I did eat cheap crappy things now and then, some of them was even tasty back then. Sorry I went too far.

Not cooking but… The only sandwich I gladly ate as a kid. I left our the bread and it immediately became way better as I removed the less tasty and tempting ingredient…

Lowering carb is easy, I just put less carby stuff into it. My onion soup lost almost all veggies (but they are mixed now and all higher-carb so super tasty) but I added 8-12 eggs… :smiley: Waaaaaaaaaaay better to me and Alvaro accepted it too.

But my fried spicy thingie was my huge success. I probably talked about that, maybe not only once. It started as a high-carb plant-based stuff. I immediately swapped the grains to oily seeds, I fear I never tried the original but if you ask me, it’s insane to call something “vegan sausage” and using carbs galore (it’s very wrong to call something vegan sausage but that’s not the point). Some fat too, so it’s not the “vegan bacon from rice paper” level but still (I do love vegans if they are normal but the weirder ones enthusiastically make the most insane things, it’s hilarious. I was pretty normal on my few plant-based days… and low-carb but it’s me. it was the only time my protein intake never went high)…
So… I don’t know what the original tastes like but I am sure my version was better for me. The next step was using some eggs (wonderful leftover use, too bad I so rarely make this dish) and it got way better. Then I swapped the oily seeds (it was after my first carni trials and my tastebuds had problems with them) to some pork skin and it got waaaaaaay better again. It’s like a dream. It still has plants: spices but that’s all. But A LOT. If I would add meat, I could lower the amount but eggs and skin, they need a lot. But if I wanted not just a tasty fried thingie like it is now but what I call sausage, I would still need a ton of red pepper and other things, it can’t be helped.

Lots of lower-carb item is way tastier than the widely popular flour, I don’t even understand why many people eat the way they do… Using not only flour in everything is more expensive, yes but it doesn’t automatically makes the diet more expensive as well… And people spend lots of money on useless, crappy or overpriced stuff anyway. I so don’t accept this exuse most of the time. I can say that I have no money for much meat and it’s pretty much true but most people buy not cheap (often very far from it) crappy/unhealthy for them stuff.

So making something lower-carb and better sounds easy to me. Imitiating old carby favs, no, that’s not easy, more like impossible most of the time. Some improvement (making it lower-carb) may be done most of the time but that’s it.

And of course, many low-carb item tastes bad too. I met some vile oily seed flours :smiley: Because I just had to try out every not too expensive items :smiley: I am super curious. I am looking forward to the time when I run out of certain items (oily seed flours are easy, I put a little bit into Alvaro’s wheat bread every time, it’s not noticeable) :slight_smile:
And there are some bad recipes out there too. So it’s not easy. I experimented insanely much but it’s one of my hobby. It wasn’t so much getting something (I just could eat the original if I wanted soooo much) but trying out what happens if I use this and that… It’s exciting! :smiley:

It’s not like I would be happy with my original favs. My taste changed. I dislike pancakes with flour. I dislike them with oily seed flours too… I rather not use anything for flour and I get some nice stuff… The more egg a pancake has, the better except I do need a weee bit of something else to keep it from becoming a fried egg :wink:
Yeah, I guess I usually started with recipes using mostly eggs. Certain kinds of dishes just can’t happen, it would be a disappointment.

Maybe almond flour is a miracle thing, I can’t afford such insanely expensive and not even very flavorful things so I couldn’t experiment with it. Fortunately… Using cheaper stuff was complicated enough :smiley: I always had zillion ideas to try… I like a bit simpler kitchen activity :wink:

If I wasn’t lazy and not confident (I am just fooling around and want to please me and Alvaro), I would make and egg cookbook :smiley: Oh most chapters would have some use for others but no one could keep me from making a long one using only eggs. I mean it. One can do so very many things with only eggs. But if we add some fat and spice, that surely adds variety… I usually use other things in tiny amounts, that’s nice.

We cooked the chicken, I am lazy to bring the photo now. It was ridiculously tiny but added a nice variety.
I put all the leftover smoked pork hocks fat in the stove pot and it became awesome as usual. And… Yeah, I wanted this. Tender little chicken with its super thin skin… It was wonderful and I ate it all, Alvaro isn’t into skin at all. He could enjoy all the chicken breast with his soup. This free-range chicken from the hipermarket (desperate measures but I still have some standards…) is tasty. For a chicken. I buy pork next time (and snatch 2 chickens when I visit that hipermarket again in desperate times, it pleased us). But I so needed this skin experience and the cats will appreciate the tender little bones with the little leftover meat on them.
Small chicken has the advantage that we don’t need to cut it into too many parts. The bigger rooster was hard without proper tools… We probably could use some in the future… Proper tools, I mean. We have simple knives only, smaller and bigger but it’s not good enough.

@SecondBreakfast: YAY! Fridge! Alvaro congratulates too, we both were horrified of your… I don’t know how to call what happened…
Oh Alvaro is hopeless, he can eat a mountain of carbs with the keto food I make. I would need to make a new cake every day to keep his carbs somewhat low but he would complain as he usually eats sweet things for breakfast, cake or fruity oatmeal (3 sweet stuff per day is fine but he needs salty food too).
But… It matters that he eats pork or some vegetable thing with his grains… I don’t sacrifice myself so I won’t make his sweets all the time, those are carbs with carbs and he eats it with carbs, I don’t even want to look at it :D. But he’s thriving on its diet… Good enough for now, I am very curious what will happen with his meat consumption in the future… It changed drastically, no matter how he was against eating meat every day and he doesn’t eat meat every day just when we have it and when he fancy some eggs with sausage or something… So if we buy more meat, it will be more frequent. And he loves smoked pork even if not to the extent I do. I think he needs more protein in the future, he surely don’t eat much and half of it comes from plants (just a guess, I don’t know but very little meat and cheese and a few eggs… it’s not that much). It worked fine until now but now he wants bigger muscles for his upper body too. He doesn’t want to put much effort into it but something started. My weights and tiny weightlifting sessions were too tempting :wink:
Egg and cheese pizza… I never did that this far. It sounded a bit too odd, I always put my little cheese on top. Not like it ever became as gooey as I would like… But I definitely planned to try it out, I heard about it so much! And I don’t have meat to put into the crust… Except fish… I never did that either… I used pork skin. It lasts forever and I do use it sometimes but it’s very salty…

Awww, thank you to you and Alvaro! Yes, it is a wonderful thing! My house is returning to normal, and the workshop shall return to normal once I clean that one out. Very happy now!

So, had a rough one at work yesterday and today. These cramps are killing me. Doubled over at work today, then experienced “flooding”. (Sorry if that’s TMI). But, it is relevant. Because what happens after that, is a wave of dizziness and almost fainting. So…the quickest thing my boss could find me was a jar of green olives. She grabbed it off the shelf, ran it to me in the office, and I chugged the liquid and ate the olives. No more ZC today. Helluva a pile of salt though. Fixed me up, and in about 15-20 mins, I was back at it.

Hoping this lets up soon. I’m taking 4 Iron Complex per day now, to mitigate the loss. Seems to work, except when these episodes occur. Going to bed now.

Take care, dear peeps! Happy Carnivore dreams!

Feeling better today, but hey, its only 730am. Going for hard boiled eggs and butter today. Beef later, when I get home from work. Took 800 mg of ibuprofen last night so I could sleep, which seemed to work out fine.

I’ll have a day off tomorrow, so maybe will use that for some extra sleep and recovery time. Carnivore on!!!

(Kellyn ) #232

I lost 3 pounds this week. I am giving up all dairy again, except butter. I am going to try black coffee with butter for my afternoon pick me up as I still get tired around 1:00 each day. The caffeine does not effect my sleep. My church has a volleyball league and we started practice games yesterday. I pulled my lower back during a game. I took an epsom salt bath last night but my back is killing me. I am taking advil and using a heating pad. I sure hope it is just a pulled muscle. I made a roast this weekend which I quite enjoyed and had the best steak tenderloin I have ever had on Saturday. I mostly eat hamburger patties because they are cheap and easy so the steak and roast was a nice change. Tonight will be chicken wings at our favorite wings place. I always get them plain. I had a friend whose husband had a heart attack on Saturday. He is doing fine, but this morning my vegan friend was saying that the cardiologist will tell him not to eat red meat. She said people think I’m crazy for eating no meat, but it is the healthiest diet in the world and started going into some study she had heard about where people’s heart disease was reversed by their vegan diets. I just smile and listen and think she really does not know what she is talking about. I feel bad for her though. She started her vegan diet because her dad died of cancer and she was told by a physician that she could avoid cancer if she gave up meat. I don’t want to lecture people or argue with people about their way of eating. I have done my research and know this is the best diet for my body.

yea alot of times that is truly it and then again, for many of us the ‘texture’ ain’t the same…you know like potatoes ain’t the same texture to me even with mashed cauliflower…the taters are so creamy but even if I tried to go into creamy cauliflower I always got ‘some grain’ in it and that turned me off very fast.

So yea it is down to what we can handle and accept and be happy with for sure!

You know for me now tho those ‘subsitutes’ don’t matter in that been there, done that thru the years and always hit it as a failure…so in the end just the darn regular old food is best for me. Like I did best on some mushrooms and meat. Done. Bit of cauliflower whole and meat…done. When I mushed, created or subbed anything like that for cooking it all went wonky LOL

wow SB you been thru alot. You know with your new found zc your body could be shedding more and changing alot so maybe it could easily be better next time but wow, you had an ordeal but you are one smart chick like me in that you ‘make it work’ no matter what cause us farmer gals do just that HAHA wishing you well and good things from now on and over this crazy for ya!!

I know you are loving that new fridge!! :slight_smile:

:hugs::heart_eyes::innocent:

Your zc is treating you oh so right…and yea if dairy is your monkey on your back I so get it. I know when I ditch dairy my scale moves faster, but for what little I use I say, now, I don’t care about the scale in that what I eat and holds me on plan is imperative.

SO HAPPY for ya KP!!!

Ahh, your vegan friend and I am so sorry for her hubby’s troubles and sending prayers for their family to be ok…but that vegan crap after what ya wrote. No they don’t get it and won’t. Once blinded by all the hype on vegan only their health will show them the way, and it will, while it deteriorates but if a vegan DOES give big momentum to protein sources and good fats then they have a longer road to sow to see the truth…Like you I don’t give a flip about any other menu then the one I am eating, the one I find my science on and truths behind real nutrition and sugar intake…we take the cake over veg point blank LOL

Glad you are doing so well KP and keep up the fab work on finding how it all works for you, that is all we can do, work for ourselves to find our best path thru it all on the road to our health!!

We are rocking down August and us ZC people are doing so well.

We are finding true physical selves and finding new clear ways of thinking and ‘always making it work’ for us and never against us.

Strong darn people and I am so glad you guys are zc and chatting up on how well you are doing and just ‘living’ life as it is intended ya know…more natural!

wow we all went so fake ya know. So into chemical crap food land and more and at some point, the release of all that ‘dieting and BS info out there’ falls to the wayside as we ‘just eat our meat/seafood/fish’ and thrive. THRIVE and change with good results! What more can one ask :wink:

For me just holding zc. No new losses but that is cool. I got a good amt for August and if nothing else comes off then so be it, I just keep on trucking with carnivore and let nature take its course but again, I got older farm shorts starting to fall off me so I know changes are going down all the time.

Just let the plan work for us and hold on for the ride. Lifestyle changes don’t happen overnight, they are…well all in for life LOL

Today I got a ribeye I wanna eat soon cause it is calling my name…little after 10AM and around 11/12 I will hound that baby down and pair up with some link sausage I want.

another meal…hmm, maybe just chicken and sardines. I never worry about meal too cause meal 1 feeds me so well that anything after that is just fluff and makes me happy regardless of what I cook so that is a big plus to me :slight_smile:

rock on zc people…ya’ll are doing fab and I am fab and we got this and will only get better with time!

(Kellyn ) #236

Thanks so much, Fangs! The support here in the zero carb threads have helped me stay on the path and I appreciate all the advice you and everyone else have given. I have a question. Do you think soaking liver in milk will effect me if I have sensitivities to dairy? I have heard that it helps with the taste of beef liver. I’m read that you can soak it a few hours in the milk and then dry off the liver before cooking and the taste is less strong.

first off do ya like liver or is this an experiment? I am not a liver fan but other chat with Scott and others got me thinking about buying those ‘all in liver supps’ from Dr. Saladino so I am SO ON the fence with doing that…but I digress…

if you love liver then soak in buttermilk or HWC. Not milk. Milk is just a cheap crap version of the other better fatty others that will make the breakdown to tenderize give you more fat content in that soak then ‘just plain old inferior milk’.

And I doubt it will monkey with ya…but it truly comes down to that ‘do the food and see how ya feel’ thing cause in the end, that small soak to breakdown to tenderize just isn’t alot ya know…it ends up being very little you do intake so I would think you would be fine.

but the proof is always in the eating LOL

(Kellyn ) #238

I do like the taste somewhat and it is cheaper to buy it than liver supplements. I love the advice to try buttermilk or HWC. I’m definitely going to try that. I’ll let you know how the experimenting goes when I do. Thanks so much!

(Laurie) #239

Re liver: The calcium in milk neutralizes the iron in the liver. You can just soak the liver in water, or look for good cooking methods that don’t require soaking. If you like the taste of liver, why mess with it?

Hi everyone, and thank you Kellyn for the invite.

I’m not exactly zero carb, but tending that way because veggies, sauces, etc., seem like a lot of expense and fuss for nothing. Also, in recent weeks or months, some vegetables cause digestive problems and discomfort.

I’ve had “steakhouse syndrome” for a few years, which means no steak or pork chops. I live alone and use a shared kitchen. Fridge space/storage is limited. I’m trying to simplify my life, so no more fooling around with slow cookers and so on.

I’m fine with all this, but it means I eat some prepared or semiprepared foods that contain a few carbs. Salmon patties from Costco (2 carbs each I think), the odd sausage or whatever.

Every day I eat a 3-egg omelet with cheese, plus usually one serving of meat, chicken, or salmon.

No cream in my coffee. I love cream, but I don’t like keeping track of when I’m running low, feeling disappointed when I run out or when the store doesn’t have the right kind. It’s just an unnecessary complication!

Occasionally I indulge in a sugary no-no, but no baked goods–because grains of any kind really mess me up. This is pretty recent. My body seems to be telling me to lay off the plant-based foods.

I am overweight. Thirty pounds? I don’t know. But I’m not really thinking about that. Just trying to eat simply and well.

(Kellyn ) #240

I just looked this up. You are right, it does neutralize the iron. I read that soaking in acidic water is a better Idea to tenderize the liver. It said soaking for a few hours in water and either lemon juice or vinegar will help tenderize the liver. Thanks for the tip!