August-Palooza!

(Polly) #181

Shrimp or prawns make every steak or burger taste special. I hope you can find a good value supply to restock your freezer soon.

thanks.

I am defrosting my chest freezer in the garage right now. I have been eating it down to do just this and I did find 1 bag of shrimp toward the bottom, under a big old bag of biscuits the family eatsā€¦so I got lucky LOL

but yea sales are so important to me!! meat and seafood sales, I think I live by them truly HAHA

Yes! Iā€™m a big fan of surfā€™nā€™turf. My gut tells me itā€™s the available ocean minerals packed in the seafood.

I am a bit concerned about crabs. If you type that word really fast then the spell checker may not see that one has typed ā€˜carbsā€™. There is a big difference between crab legs and carb legs.

or ya might be pulling up some STD information and that doesnā€™t sound appetizing at all!

I got meat so I came back,. Not totally, tomorrow will be my day #1 but I canā€™t avoid read back and replyā€¦

Well of course. We need a lot of nutrients. Why wouldnā€™t a vegan eat all the necessary protein and fat? I surely did that on my plant-based days (of course, I ate high-fat as I only have that option). I talked about the smart healthy vegans, not the silly fatphobic low-protein ones. I donā€™t even get how they manage to eat little proteinā€¦ Sometimes I wonder about it. Yeah, eating little helps, satiating carbs help but stillā€¦ I eat at least adequate protein on every woe and I donā€™t consider 0.8 * lean bodyweight in kg (40g for me) adequateā€¦ Or 0.6ā€¦

I meant, both are bad for me, I feel my body complaining, no matter what kind of simple sugar I eat. There are differences, of course, other things in the food item but only due to a bigger amount of sugar, itā€™s a bad idea for me to consume them in that amount. Cream (therefore lactose, I suppose it is the problem) galore is definitely NOT a smart idea for myself.
And cream has its huge disadvantages over pears anyway. Itā€™s carnivore for me in small amounts (and it may cause some problems in any amounts) and it suits coffee. And itā€™s way more tempting than pear. Huge disadvantages sigh. Pears are very rarely dangerous for me but cream is a constant potential problem.

I donā€™t compare plant and zc eaters at all. I merely compared the two item for myself. My woe doesnā€™t even matter! My body has problems with sugar. Not necessarily much, it is more tolerant if I ate more but not too much carbs lately but itā€™s clear there is a problem. With all simple sugar (not simple ones too but thatā€™s softer and I never can overload egg carbs :D).

No, I still donā€™t think all zerocarbers think exactly the same. Impossible. But I donā€™t care about this, actually. I just said my very firm opinion. People are very very different even if they eat very similarly. And why would all zerocarber know science? Some of them surely just eat as they need, want, consider right even without reading about various food groups. A lot of high-carbers donā€™t know shit about carbs and science either, yeah, they born into it but some people are health conscious, made huge changes and still donā€™t care about science particularly much. Listening to their own body may work just fine. So they canā€™t form a good opinion about things as they lack knowledge. But they know enough to feed their own bodies well. If I know I am better without plants for some reason, I donā€™t care if plants in general are bad or good or WHY they are bad for me. Itā€™s the net carb content for me, I donā€™t care about the rest. Itā€™s obvious they canā€™t be super bad as people can live on them and animals are even ā€œworseā€ but they have not as much chance to be choosy as we luckier humans. I am glad I belong to the luckier part of humanity and I surely choose better food when I canā€¦ Plants are hugely overrated IMO, too. Sad. Even who could afford a better woe, usually eat very unwellā€¦ But I never will finish this comment this way.

No, i5 mak34s no sense that ā€œonly zc persons can understandā€. How could they? You are all different! You canā€™t udnerstand someone else with a very different zerocarb woe, very different functioning body. Or if you can, I can understand anyone myself. Experiencing a special N=1 case? It doesnā€™t change everything. Probably anyone can understand zc pretty much if they put enough effort into it and is open-minded (I never will be that as I donā€™t understand science and never will, too much chemistry and itā€™s the only school subject I am crappy with. I understand parts of it, itā€™s cool but everything? even the smart ones donā€™t understand it all. and there are so many special cases. and frankly, I can do so much better with my time than listening to videos. I never listen to any if itā€™s about food except the one cool funny one about protein on LC vs on HC. I donā€™t need this info as I base my decisions about my N=1 case. there are useful infos, I do read articles if they arenā€™t too scientific, I am only against videos, not my styleā€¦ But I donā€™t need much extra info to see what works for me. I am the experimenting type. reading about other peopleā€™s experiences is cool too but they donā€™t say much about what I should do).

But itā€™s not even important. I want to understand myself, not zerocarbers or the long-term zc lifestyle. I want a better life for myself, first of all.

Meaty Meatiful Saturdayā€¦

Bacon and eggs fried in butter.

Brisket for lunch.

Diced corned beef fried in butter for a snacky snack.

Here we are Sunday morning, and I am not the least bit hungry. I donā€™t even miss the cheese!

if you donā€™t do the plan all in one canā€™t ever experience the changes that a zero carb lifestyle offers, zc people can chat this cause we all experience mostly the same things and we ā€˜get itā€™ and I know you can understand that part I meant.

but I get what you are saying that your personal experience is the only thing that matters and that is the way it should be when we change and try different plans and find our path that we should follow for our health.

and I think alot of vegans underestimate protein levels of plants. I think like any ā€˜newbieā€™ to any plan it is live and learn ya know but from what I read out there, the amt of vegans jumping ship due to health problems from that plan is pretty darn high.

HEY WHAT KIND of meat are you getting your hands on cause I know that pick of your pork was delish lookingā€¦what ya got coming now?
I love meat chat LOL

Oh yes, dairyā€¦ I should remember myself I wanted to try minimize it even moreā€¦ At least not having cream :slight_smile: I donā€™t eat soft cheese, I eat super little harder cheese (never any problem), sour cream, well, itā€™s mostly for my pancakes but I very rarely ā€œneedā€ them (I usually use it to get rid of 1-2 leftover hard-boiled yolks. today I had 3 and we put them into an egg stew. but thatā€™s not carnivore)ā€¦

I only get some super soft nudge and I feel itā€™s the lactose. I never had any real problems but my body should be listened to.

It wasnā€™t a good week. Well of course. BOTH the local farms are out now, we visited the fridge of the ā€œbeef farmā€ and instead of the usual smoked pork and cheese, we only found JAMS! (The cycle riding was nice though. But I am dying in August, way too hot for me.)
But I got various stuff in the city yesterday, not as tasty but finally I have my smoked pork (I wasnā€™t shy, I bought big pieces) and pork/horse and turkey sausages (pork fat in the latter). I have lots of fish, a chicken and chicken liver. I will be okay until the beef farm stops focusing on summer kid camps, I hope. But I lost my patience, desperate measures with relaxed but still existing moral/quality conditions will pop into existence when I run out of my normal meat. I have my limits and I am selfish. I donā€™t want to go back to some worse woe, even temporarily. If I desire it and know itā€™s fine? Thatā€™s hedonistic but being forced to it, nope. I always can find alternative ways in a pinch.

Alvaroā€™s Mom cooked wonderful chicken and pork, by the way. We visited her twice this week and we even brought back some vegetable soupā€¦ With good pork in it as she put meat into almost everything, I can appreciate that nowā€¦ And she never bakes pies lately, thatā€™s good too. Sometimes I make a cake when we go but itā€™s so in my past, itā€™s unusual to me. I never was good at making food I donā€™t want myself, bread is an exception as itā€™s a pretty thing and useful for Alvaro (and it triggers a pizza day too, easy lunch. I donā€™t even bat an eye anymore, his pizza canā€™t tempt me - or make me disappointed I canā€™t make the same food for both of us, thatā€™s not an easy task and I do it sometimes anyway. dairy is usually involved but it canā€™t be helped. ouch, I stop eating dairy and we will eat different stuff all the time? not a tragedy but I still donā€™t like that. no, I donā€™t stop eating cheese, itā€™s tiny and probably harmless).

At least my own food is as simple as I want.

Calorie wiseā€¦ Well, carbs and huge eating windows had no chance, I kept eating little for me (not too little, just unusual). I probably managed to eat much yesterday, I did my best, it was the plan, I could eat better though, well there was more meat than usual, less than what I would have liked thoughā€¦
And now I will be curious what will happen. I expect very low-calorie days but I am sure it will be solved or I will apply my awesome skills at eating a lot. but first I let things happen. I donā€™t even track on the same day to avoid corrections at night. I donā€™t want to eat at night anymore, it never felt fully natural but somehow happened lately.
I will track as itā€™s simple and I am still curious. I know itā€™s not very reliable but I can do it good enough for me.

It was so long, I try to behave - as usual. I fail but I try - in the future. It would be nice to calm down but I have too many thoughts even when I eat simple.

No breakfast, just an Aeropress coffee.

Had 9 pieces of broasted chicken for lunch. And a coffee.

Mmmm Mmmm, good. =)

Had another piece of chicken for ā€œdinnerā€. We spent the afternoon transporting hay bales from one of the farms back to ours. Gathered 14 eggs from my girls. Dug out a bunch of tatoes, and letting them dry. Dropped some eggs, squash and potatoes off for my inlaws, and some to another elderly couple. 14 eggs a day is a lot- even for me. LOL!

Been quiet around the house today. The two middle kids took off this morning for a couple hour drive to meet up with one of the older brothers who was nearby for a business trip. The youngest one is still working. So, Rufus is the only one keeping me busy. Iā€™m going to work on some laundry, and dishes, and hopefully get my new fridge sometime this week!

Have a blessed week, my peeps!

I am eating the cheese for the Vitamin K2. Well, thatā€™s what i justify to myself. Where else in zero carb do we have a source of Vitamin K2?

Really what I should say is that I am a casomorphin addict as I wean off carbohydrate addiction.

To add a bit of piquancy to this comment, last night with the atlantic salmon fillet cooked in butter in a pan on the wood fire stove , I tried some Buffalo Blue. It was from South Australia from a dairy producer that is well-known for producing buffalo milk mozzarella. Goodness gracious the Buffalo Blue was way too delicious. The blue culture, like in most of these cheeses is Penicillium roquefort.

wow, at the beef farm you found jams :wink:ā€¦ very interesting on that one.

you said horse in sausage, is your area one to eat horse as more of a normal staple? just wondering cause it is not a biggie for the US.

cheese sure can be rough for many. dairy is just a whirlwind of trouble or one does ok on a bit of cheese.

K2, no worries at all: Vitamin K-2 Food Sources

• Chicken and Vitamin K-2. Poultry is one of the better sources of vitamin K-2.
  • Beef and Pork. Beef and pork arenā€™t as high in vitamin K-2 as chicken.
  • Fish and Seafood. Most types of seafood only provide trace amounts of vitamin K-2.
  • Dairy Products and Other Sources. Fermented foods, including cheese------eggs have trace amts.

So never fear on K2ā€¦you are covered :wink: I took away your excuse to have to nosh on alot of cheeseā€¦lol

meat/seafood provide all you need if you donā€™t suck down tons of low level toxins in plants and drop sugar intakeā€¦body functions on way less ā€˜vits/mineralsā€™ if it doesnā€™t have to compensate for other foods that rob the body.

I hit into ravenous yesterday.

I was fine and boom, very early on I was very hungry. Hubby cooked breakfast and the smell set me off even tho I sure wasnā€™t hungry.

ate near 1 lb. ribeye way earlier in the day which made me more hungry I think LOL

5 slices bacon
a piece of leftover cold chicken
small cheeseburger patty

dinner was 2 chicken breast and 8 slices taylor ham

I still didnā€™t feel like I ate at all.

Today is 1lb. ribeye steakā€¦I have about 3/4 lb. of hamburger to useā€¦8 oz beef tenderloin steak and chicken to eat. Gearing at beef today. Beef is my go to best to round me out and make me feel my best so concentrating on that today for sure.

Part way thru the day I grabbed my car keys and was gonna drive to the little store for a bottle of caffeine free diet pepsi. I craved it. Yea I was darn near out the door for it LOL Of course I did not do it :wink: I put my car keys down and thought, what in the hell are you thinking?..it was like I was just craving stupid stuff thru the day. I drink only water (or my rum when I wanna be a party gal) but I wanted a stupid diet soda so bad, but those are the bad guys for my heart PVCs so I couldnā€™t justify drinking that at all so real fast I put that out of my head.

But I got thru the day and today is a new day and when I get a touch weirdo, I hit the beef very heavy which is what I will do now.

Beef saves me all the time!!

ZC on and keep it real everyone!!

It was quite surprising for me. Once we found cherries in the fridge among the cheese and smoked meat but I had no idea they make jam too. Well they do so many thingsā€¦ Itā€™s fine and dandy but they made lots of smoked meat lately, I expected someā€¦
But itā€™s fine. I got my pork. Not nearly as tasty as the pig farm one, thoughā€¦ At least raw. Hopefully frying will improve it.

No, horse sausage is a special thing. Not an extremity, there are horse meat products but not much. We mostly eat pork and chicken here, of course beef too but thatā€™s probably not nearly as important here. Mom bought beef 1-2 times a year, maybe? But she wasnā€™t typical anyway. Alvaroā€™s mom almost always uses pork or chicken too. And I simply donā€™t like beef but I am willing to give it a few more chances (knowing very well that pork always will be zillion times better for me. itā€™s fine, variety. and opportunity. if I can buy beef from the farm, I buy that. but I want liver too, dammit :frowning: ). I was surprised when I saw a supermarket has ribeye on sale, I didnā€™t even know we HAVE things called ā€œribeyeā€. But we surely have no T-bones, at least I never saw that (not like I ever say ribeye before). I reseached a bit a few months ago and we simply cut the animals differentlyā€¦ So a lot of words for a part exist only in one language of the two.

It will be a tad unusual to ignore all the carbs in the house again :smiley: I decided I will be careful with lactose but I donā€™t feel ready to go really low yet. And I use coffee too. Not all the time (I say this after 3 coffees in the morningā€¦ welll, itā€™s only 3. I usually drink the first 3 in the first half on hour nowadays and itā€™s not usual getting hydrated only by consuming coffee until mid-afternoonā€¦ I donā€™t know why, my body doesnā€™t need much water until then. I drink all day and in the evening very much but after my 8-hour sleep I barely need it. I usually drink water before noon just not always and usually very little anyway)ā€¦ I will get stricter later :slight_smile: Maybe when I run out of cream. I plan to have some no-cream time whenever a bag runs outā€¦ But sometimes it lasts for hours. I need to break this silly addiction one day. Itā€™s not like anything would happen if I stopped drinking coffee. I just would be a tad off and I canā€™t even drink hot chocolate or cocoa thing (homemade, of course) on carni :smiley: That is a great substitution for me. Tea isnā€™t. I tried. I want some hot liquid that I can drink in small amounts. Tea is flavored water so I drink huge amounts, I donā€™t know why, I just am like this. I wake up and I want very little water with big flavor. Oh well, I will do something about it.

Itā€™s good I canā€™t worry about everythingā€¦ Even K2ā€¦ My poor eggs are so lacking in various thingsā€¦ I eat meat, of course but the amounts are very important, of course and I eat little.
Cheese is no option, I eat even less of that and it usually happens when I have unusually little meat. I strongly prefer meat. Cheese is nice but itā€™s fine once in a blue moon in tiny amounts. I start to use meat in my own fried egg yolk thingie that Alvaro eats with lots of cheese. I always used less cheese in mine but I donā€™t want any smoked cheese it it now (the ground harder cheese part mixed it stays, the smoked cheese is in cubes in the middle of every muffin) and itā€™s very light without it. So I use sausage or liver or bacon or whatever I have (I probably almost never will eat bacon. I stick to my old favs, pork ribs are the best things ever, smoked or fresh). So we still will have almost the same food together, itā€™s important for me for some reason. Simpler too though we eat simple things anyway. Still, itā€™s better to do only one dish.

yea that is normal. A scotch steak cut name is not the same over here as in another area. So yea cuts will be named diff. but if you found a ribeye then buy one, see how ya like it. A good ribeye is marbled very well and gives that real good fat/protein ratio that works so well for us.

We just canā€™t find horse products around me, I am not sure if the USA actually does horse as a meat sale at all, but I know it is exported for other countries? So not sure on that but if horse was on the menu, being a horse lover and raised/rode/showing and all, yea I would take a bite of one LOL

You know it was very hard to give up a bit of that ā€˜hot liquid sipping drinkā€™ for me also and in the end I did but I fought it cause it gave comfort, you know, hot tea if not feeling well, hot chocolate for a treat and it was yum and I get what you are saying on that, but once droppedā€¦omg you think, why is that ever truly needed in life? but that becomes very personal on how we can move forward and how we do want to enjoy our drinks etc. as we change our eating lifestyle.

Pork ribs the best, I sure agree with you on that. Best darn pork meat to enjoy! Nibbling off that bone and so good! Ahh now I want some :sunny: fun post reading all that from you!

Yeah, that sounds goodā€¦ Meat is usually too lean for me. Sometimes I can do something about it (I donā€™t find rabbit stew too lean. the Hungarian style stew is simply wonderful to me, nothing can go wrong there. and I found ways to eat lean fish but it never will be real good stuff for me. just some nice variety for cheap) but if my pork roast is too lean, okay, I add lard and leftover fat tissue, I enjoy it but itā€™s not the same as using some fatty part to begin with.
I am a lil maniac now. And a horrible one. I got various kinds of meat but I actually want pork ribs. I decided itā€™s the best thing ever, hands down. A lot of fresh pork could comfort me but I donā€™t have that either.

The turkey sausage is pleasant but quite meh compared to a really delicious pork sausage, I wonā€™t buy it again. But I had to try it out and when if not now when I am forced to buy meat in a supermarket (I am choosy and only buy a little but still)?
I want liver too. I have liver. Too little and morally not good so I donā€™t want to buy it often, no matter how very cheap and enjoyable it is.
I want some proper source for bigger amounts of liver (so not this 500g for 2 persons once in a blue moon). I never even tried beef liver. Or sheep liver. Only rabbit, some fowls and pig. I think pig liver is a bit too hard and has a too agressive flavorā€¦? But maybe I could use some method to make it better (and itā€™s not like itā€™s actually bad). I never fried pig liver myself.

Actually Alvaro was very curious about the pork/pig sausage and we tried it out some months ago. And it was very, very good so now that I couldnā€™t get sausage from the usual farm, we bought some again. Spicy ones this time, itā€™s unopened at this point, I focus on the turkey one now. For some reason, spicy usually means ā€œbarely spicyā€. I donā€™t get it, Hungarians traditionally use very strong spices. Not everyone, my family didnā€™t so I am not used to it but itā€™s actually normal. And me, the one who canā€™t stand really spicy things, taste ā€œspicyā€ sausages and barely feel a thingā€¦ A big exception is the sudden popularity of the strongest chilis in Hungary. There are little containers in festivals, on the shelves of little village shops full with famous super strong chili. But between the two, things I call ā€œspicy!!! good but spicyā€, I never meet those. Itā€™s either some lurking tiny hint or my tongue burns off. Maybe they exist but as I barely buy condiments, I donā€™t know about themā€¦? Oh, whatever. I use my own spice mixes so itā€™s as spicy as I want. I have strong chili, sweet red pepper, plain and smoked and other stuff. Not often needed for meaty dishes but very useful when I eat pork skin. And all stew needs a lot of red pepper here. And if I make a plant-based dish, red pepper will be the first or second most important ingredient and the amounts are quite serious tooā€¦ Alvaro loves those. I find them super tasty too, I just replace the plants with animal products if possible. I like flexible recipes and I am not the one who respects original recipes or rejects some bold but promising ideas. And nearly everything is better with eggs. Especially plant-based dishes. Seitan is a big exception, lard is the key there (and a ton of red pepper, obviously). But I fight very, very valiantly to avoid eating seitan. Itā€™s my plan B if I run out of meat for too long (and legumes. what else? eggs arenā€™t enough alone. I have no problem with gluten but I do have problem with too much carbs and I need satiating plants if I need to add plants).
I never run out of meat now. No matter what.
I guess some people give up too easily when itā€™s about their woe. ā€œI am forced to eat off planā€¦ often, at thatā€, ā€œitā€™s so expensive, I canā€™t possibly eat like thatā€, ā€œitā€™s boring, of course I need to add other thingsā€ā€¦ I donā€™t say these things are never true but if we want some woe to work, we usually can find a way. Yeah, I go even off keto a lot and I partially blame my circumstances (they truly made things harder) but mostly itā€™s my own decision (or fault). If I am truly committed, itā€™s very hard to stop me.
But circumstances clearly matter a lot when we arenā€™t THAT committed or experienced. And certain circumstances decide everything but itā€™s rare that we have about zero power over our own food.

I try to stick to meaty topics from now on. September hopefully bring back both farms and things never will be near as dire as they were some weeks ago.

Made a meat salad for dinner here at work.
Cubed corned beef, small cubes of beef fat on a bed of shredded brisket, tossed with butter and a little mustard.

The fat from the meat has a calming effect on me, in coating the receptors on my bullshitometer. See, the bsmeter reached maximum load today dealing with LG, and I might have gone ballistic were it not f
or my reserve supply of calming fat stores. Iā€™ll take brisket over tranquilizers any day.
I went digging in the chest freezer and found some short ribs, a chuck steak. And more ribs. So the slow cooker is going now, And we will beef on tomorrow!

I fear the LG things will make a bad impact on MY health, just reading about it makes me upsetā€¦ I probably would give up after the first half an hour and I am sure it would have worth it to me. And I imagine all the useless stress people unprofessionally make in the worldā€¦ Nope, I dislike humanity enough.

It is a very healthy attitude :smiley:

Day #1 was a bit unusual after everything but good. I have a big calorie deficit but no wonder. I am curious how my food intake will change in the next days. Tomorrow I even wait until hunger, today I will eat already at 3pm, I cooked at 9am and I want to taste the meaty versions of the cheesy fried egg white stuffā€¦ Alvaro gets smoked cheese cubes in the middle, I get a bit pork and turkey sausage.
My hunger/appetite/eating ability was okay yesterday, I just didnā€™t need much food. I lost ~1kg water weight as always. And I am pleased with my activity, itā€™s summer and I still have a decent amount (I am the least active in summer when itā€™s too hot to move without suffering). I need that for energy and anyway, itā€™s good to cycle or walk in the wildlife park. I just forgot my weightlifting. Itā€™s tricky as I need Alvaro for my chest press and I still think I need being well-fasted too. But not hungry. These conditions rarely meet and I forget anyway. But I can do the chest press separately and even between meals.

Carnivore life was good yesterday. Had my meat salad. Wasnā€™t hungry until late, so I nibbled a couple slices of beef bologna. No dairy, though. Normally, Iā€™d wrap meat inside a cheese slice of some sort. Just wrapped the meat in another meat slice, instead. =) I went grocery shopping after work - because Iā€™ve got a couple kids home currently. One is home from her job for a couple days. The other had a vacation trip delayed a day, so sheā€™s home and will undoubtedly eat alot. The boy is going to be here after work today to help hubby out with a couple jobs around the house/farm. He eats a ton.

Pulled the chuck steak and ribs out of the slow cooker late last night. Cooked 3 pounds of ground beef up, salted it, and stuck it in the fridge so I can take meat to work for meals today and tomorrow. Thawing out a few pounds of turkey bacon to fry up for BLTs for the fam. Iā€™m fine with just the bacon, though.

Finally starting to feel like Iā€™m dialing in my eats and regaining the carnivore-clear mind-mojo. Its difficult to feel great when trying to handle unexpected female issues, LG issues, business matters, work, and house cleaning But yet, here I am. And no matter how hard LG tries to push me to my mental/psych/physical limits - still no ulcers, no brain hemorrhage, no myocardial infarction ā€¦not even so much as a headache!!! And that is a huge upside, which remains completely astounding to me - is no headaches, migraines, cluster headachesā€¦nothing. Usually, the migraines are a tell-tale sign of Aunt Flo coming. Had no symptoms- nothing.

For now, just gonna stay with the beef, a little turkey bacon, eggs, butter, and my beloved Aeropressed coffee once a day. Toodles and cheers! SB