August 2018 IF / EF Chat ALL WELCOME

(Allie) #341

It’s a sensible 20 degrees here at the moment @Elle79 but I did get a bit warm at lunchtime as I walked to Tesco and loaded my backpack with shopping before walking back to work :joy:

Wow, that type of weather will be here before we know it, but still running 90’s here. So I could use a little cold right now. :slight_smile: … Stay warm ladies.

(Ellen) #343

@Digital_Dave it’s still warmer than average for us for Aug!

(Allie) #344

Yes this is true, we are just feeling it more as it was so hot for so long then dropped so quickly.

(back and doublin' down) #345

I’m sure this is Celsius? My mountain region is cooling off. Last year, I was transitioning from a humid climate to this dry one and just wore a light jacket when it was 15°. Wondering if the combination of acclimating/weight loss/fasting is going to make me more sensitive to temp changes? The nights are still only in the upper 40s and I’m already closing windows and turning off fans!

Today is my OMAD day in the IDM fasting protocol ~ glad I’m going to be busy and just pretending it’s day one of a longer fast so I won’t think about it as much.

Allie, hope things smooth out for you the rest of the week.

Happy Friday Eve, Y’all!

(What The Fast?!) #346

3 weeks of ADF, my weight came down and after just 4 days of eating “normally,” it’s already back up to where I started PLUS a pound.

ADF is clearly not my friend. I’ll have to try doing 2-3 day fasts instead. Ugh, this is exhausting.

(Central Florida Bob ) #347

When I was reading that, I had the exact opposite conclusion: ADF is your friend and eating normally isn’t. You know yourself way better than I do, but you lost weight doing ADF and gained it back when you went off it.

That’s my fear. If my stalled weight depends on eating ADF that means doing ADF forever, trading one setpoint for another, then I’d rather not go down that road, thank you.

This week, after a few weeks of the scale not moving at all during my ADFs, the scale moved and hit another 20 year low for me. Do I keep doing ADFs or try to mix it up?

(What The Fast?!) #348

That’s exactly the problem. I don’t WANT to do ADF forever. 3 weeks of eating that way for 2 measly pounds that came right back? No thank you.

Well, I went ahead and broke this fast at 96 hrs tonight. Left out a few hours ago to purchase a new riding mower, power-washer, and some other stuff, but forgot I told my wife I would take her to Texas Roadhouse tomorrow night for dinner. They have a Big ole’ Porterhouse Steak with my name on it. :slight_smile: Of course, with triple sautéed mushrooms, in lieu of any other sides. Plus a house salad with Blue Cheese of course. … Hope everyone else is still fasting away to the end out this month!

(Edith) #350

Hi Everyone,

I know I’m chiming in with only one day left in August, but hey, it is still August.

I decided to try implementing intermittent fasting with a 16 / 8 protocol. I’ve been doing it on and off since the weekend. I haven’t lost any weight for a year and I actually gained a few pounds back. I’m hoping this will help get the last
little bit of weight to drop off.

I stopped tracking macros a month or so ago because I realized I was just obsessing about what I was consuming way too much.

Anyway, the longest I’ve been able to fast is about 18 hours. Today was only 15 hours and then I was a bottomless pit for most of the day.
For those of you who do intermittent fasting, do you get hungry and if so, what do you do for the hunger? I am close to my weight goal. Does that make the fasting more challenging?

I recently listened to some podcasts with Jason Fung and I started reading his fasting book so I do like the idea of the other benefits that fasting can provide.

I’ve heard others speak about it being harder, once you near or at your goal weight, but I can’t say for sure myself? As far as being hungry, I rarely am, and can’t recall the last time I was actually hungry. Sometimes I might think it would be nice to just eat something (because I miss it, or should say I enjoy a good meal. But not from desiring it really. It’s really hard to say how my feelings are now, since I find fasting quite enjoyable. Almost like it was something I was made to do.) Will I still feel this way, once I’m down to where Keto thinks I should be? I cannot say. I don’t have a set weight goal really. I figure just to see where it takes me, and it will let me know. I’m not a big believer in graph tables telling me what I should weigh by my height, age, etc. I think we are all way too different to be categorized as such.

As far as not being able to go further then what you state, are you sure you are getting enough to eat in your meals, to help carry you further? Just asking since you didn’t mention it. But for me, it hasn’t been an issue to go many days, but I’ve always said if I get hungry, I will definitely eat. But there are many here that know way more than I do about this, so hopefully can provide you with much better information. :slight_smile:

(Jane) #352

My husband is at or below his goal weight and he fasts for autophagy (cancer survivor).

He really struggles sometimes with fasting but wants the benefits so he KCFO. He did a 72-hr fast with me and he dropped too much weight and was too weak. Now he sticks to 36-hr fasts, which he can do w/o too much effort now that he is fat-adapted.

He will eat an early dinner and start his fast… next day all day he won’t eat - coffee and water only - and he knows he just has to make it ONE.DAY. When he gets up the next morning he breaks his fast and has managed 36 hours.

According to the limited autophagy studies on mice… he has managed autophagy for 12 hours. Maybe more since he is fat-adapted.

Anyway - he can make it one day w/o eating and whatever weight he drops he will gain back when he re-feeds.

I can usually do 24 hours fasts pretty easily. I go lunch to lunch. I am not usually hungry in the morning so it works best for me. I do start getting tummy grumbles around 10am but I just push through a couple of hours to lunch.

If I’m hungry at night I eat. I don’t really force the fast…I just listen to my body. Today was a HUNGRY day (even though it’s generally my fast evening) so I ate a big dinner too.

I’ve mostly given up coffee…I just drink water and sparking water during my fast time.

Wishing you luck working your fasting muscle!

If I only eat OMAD, I do eat way more than I would normally, I keep the window to about 2 hrs. It’s strange, I can find the will power to fast, but once the fast is over, so’s the willpower!

If the scale’s started moving, I’d keep at it a bit longer & see how it goes, If it stall’s again then maybe change again.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #356

reaching 12 h here… had quite a good nights sleep and i feel amazing… finally I am reaching that overdrive mode again…

Mental health and stability is soooo important, I cannot stress this enough… not loosing much right now but that is okay… this energy and being able to work out hard 2-4 times a week and getting stronger and stronger is worth so much more… the rest will happen whenever my body sees fit…

(Edith) #357

Thanks @Digital_Dave, @Janie, and @jules4 for your replies. I think I just need to learn to power through. I read that the more one fasts the better one gets at it.

I think for September I will work on making 24 hour fasts. Dinner time with the family is too important to skip that meal but certainly no trouble socially skipping breakfast and lunch.

(back and doublin' down) #358

Karen Mangiacotti is the guest on the latest Keto Woman podcast https://ketowomanpodcast.com/episodes/

She talks about getting to a place where she continued to cook for their large combined family, and would just sit with them at meals, not eating herself. Don’t the let “Have To” of family meal time be a hurdle! When you say “time with the family” as opposed to “dinner time with the family” maybe you could see that it’s the interaction, not the food, that’s important there?

Fasting is a muscle. Willpower is a muscle. Both get stronger. Congratulations on being so near your goal weight!

(Central Florida Bob ) #359

I still need to work on my electrolytes because even after 10 weeks, I haven’t gotten them tweaked in just right. I still get leg cramps, (always my right leg) still go back and forth between diarrhea and nearly constipated, still have mild heartburn half the mornings. These aren’t serious complications, but they suck the general happiness out of life. Wednesday I had a vivid lesson in NTAF (Never Trust a Fart) (TMI Warning!) - Thank God I was home alone.

So I’m taking a week off and looking into more stuff like carnivore, PSMF and such. Maybe a week, maybe less.

(KCKO, KCFO) #360

Janie, my husband is a TOFI, with T2D, he struggles to keep weight on. He has found cashews to help when he needs to add a few lbs. Does your husband like cashews, they might help him put on a few lbs. and keep them.