August 2018 IF / EF Chat ALL WELCOME

(Allie) #301

I’ve decided to fast tomorrow and it’ll be a proper water fast as I’ve defeated the caffeine addiction :grinning: Planning to do around 36 hours initially, can’t work it out exactly but I’m at 5 hours now and it’s 1930 so this time tomorrow I’ll be at 29 hours and I don’t normally eat until about 1030 or so… so it’ll be however many hours that is, I’m too tired to try and work it out :joy:

My old man cat had his meds from the vet on saturday and thankfully they’ve helped pick him up again, for a little while at least.

I’ve only done plain water fast since I started Keto, but what difference do you have when getting in the caffeine you mention? I only ask since I actually only drink decaf coffee and tea anyway, (for 20 -25 years now?) but have been hardly drinking even those since starting Keto. Mostly just drink water now.

Glad to hear the Kitty’s feeling better as well. - My Male pup, Kito, apparently wasn’t feeling too well over the weekend. So mostly laid up and rested and seems to be doing better today. :slight_smile:

(Ellen) #303

Yay on beating the caffeine, and glad to hear Spudley has perked up.

Just trying out this app, thanks again @Ruina … Just thought something like this would be helpful. I sometimes have to think back to when I started. :smile:

@cg68doc - I find fasting in the week easier, when it’s busier… weekends are harder as it’s a more social time, enjoying food together etc. Monday just seems right to fast after eating perhaps a bit more over the weekend!
@Shortstuff - glad your cat is on the mend, & definitely well done with beating the caffeine addiction!
@Paendora - well done on the 9lbs down!
I’m 36hrs in, woke early again today as I often do when I’m fasting- anyone got any ideas about how to overcome that?! Hunger seems to wake me up, but it does go off…

(Allie) #306

Not so much the caffeine itself @Digital_Dave, but more the fatty coffee I would normally have first thing on each fasting day just to keep the caffeine withdrawal symptoms away.

I’m glad Kito is feeling better too :grinning:

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #307

I’m just starting out. aiming for 36h. I’m at 2h… diging into the subject of self sabotage, because I know this is what is happening. I know I can, I know I feel great but I just start finding excuses not to follow throug…

Ok, thanks for the info. I kept hearing folks mention the ‘caffeine’ and thought it was somehow providing a boost, not in the normal sense, but a boost to the fast. But your explanation sounds more about possible withdraw from being used to getting caffeine, which does make sense.

Thanks again, and yep, Kito seems to be doing much better. He’s seeming more himself this morning.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #309

9h slight headache, other than that feeling good.

My exploration into self sabotage has led me down a rabbit hole that showed me that my mum is a narcissist and i was constantly manipulated.

Sounds so irrelevant to that conversation, but I feel like it is already making it easier for me to fast…

(Allie) #310

We have this in common, I understand :heart:

(back and doublin' down) #311

Cannot separate the mind from the body, so very relevant in my opinion.

(Allie) #312

Today’s fasting didn’t go to plan, I chose to break it at 23 hours as I was feeling crap. My weekend ended up being really stressful and although I felt as if I had coped with it OK, my body seems to think different so I decided to go easy on myself and listen to what it was screaming at me. Tomorrow will be a normal eating day and Thursday I’ll have another go at fasting.

(Allie) #313

@Digital_Dave

Just watching this video and thought of you so sharing it, relating to the caffeine question you had earlier :blush: https://youtu.be/xJVXL5oCZCQ

Thank you kindly, and interesting video. I was wondering if anything would boost the effects of the fast. Even though I really haven’t had any issues as of yet with any fasting, it is nice to know. … I may have to pick up some regular coffee to do some testing. :slight_smile:

I believe @Janie mention something about Keto-Coffee, I was actually wanting to look into as well. … Before going Keto, I actually drank coffee every day throughout the year. I would drink at least a half pot, to full pot, but when I started keto I simply stopped and went to nothing but water. But as I’ve mentioned, I’ve always drank decaf, so I didn’t drink it for any boost. (But would still like to do some experimenting) Thanks again.

Oh, and also almost 46 hrs. into this fast. But I’m not sure how long this one will go? Friday at the latest, but will see how things go. :slight_smile:

(Jane) #315

Yeah that Keto coffee is instant and has MCT oil and butter in it. It’s kinda pricy - $14 for a small bag but it says 15 servings so I guess not much more than kcups.

I only take it with me when I am traveling out of the country and no access to a fridge to keep HWC in.

(TJ Borden) #316

I’m with you. Weekends are the toughest for me for fasting.

Thanks, Jane. I just remember seeing you post about it, and believe it’s the only time I’ve seen it mentioned. :slight_smile:

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #318

22h feeling good besides of a slight headache. Allowed myself some bonebroth to see if it helps combat caffeine withdrawal.
Woke up at 5.10 (my alarm is set to 5.50) I knew it would make things worse if I stayed in bed. So I got up and doing productive stuff. :sweat_smile:

Ate after 48 hrs yesterday- it’s so weird, once I start eating again it’s like I can’t get enough, had to be very strict with myself! Back to fasting today for another 48hrs, then away for the weekend. At least I seem to be getting used to the slightly longer fasts, & stomach issues with refeeding don’t seem to be happening!

Open Ended Water Fast
(Hoby Bradfield) #320

Thanks Jules, that is sort of what I was thinking. I remember listens to The Dede’s podcast about fasting, and I think Carl did a couple of days feasting before a 3 day fast… around my house the weekend is a great time to feast, then do a 2 day fast…