Ate non keto meal yesterday

(Wendy) #1

Well I had a burrito yesterday. I feel a little guilty. I also had 4 very sweet grapes and a thin slice of cantaloupe.
I didn’t eat all the tortilla but I did eat some of it. But the home made nachos! They had a salsa bar. Ugh!
Today is a new day and thankful it was at a restraunt and that there are no leftovers in my house.
Today is a new day. But I AM thinking of having an ice-cream at a special place out of town that we will be at. Should I just be strong and not do it since I ate off plan yesterday? (Not sure how many carbs I had. Bacon and eggs for breakfast, one small piece of chicken (about an ounce) around lunch, and about 10 pistachios. And a large fresco burrito sans most of the wrap. It was mostly lettuce, steak, avocado with a smidgen of black beans and some sourcream. ) Darn those nachos! :blush:

(Ellie) #2

Don’t do it! A 1 meal slip is one thing but the self destruction that results from rationalizing to yourself that it will just be one ice cream and how much harm can it do is the beginning of the end…for me anyway.

Be strong and imaging how proud of yourself you’ll feel when you don’t give in to the ice cream and you made your health more important.
You can do it!

(Wendy) #3

Yeah I know what you mean. I haven’t decided to do it yet but I don’t want to keep rationalizing bad food choices. But I’m still tempted because it’s tempting. :grin:

There is no right answer to your question. The key to success is know thyself. Do what’s sustainable for you.

I know that I’m not going to adhere strictly to any eating plan. I eat according to my ideal standards ~80-85% of the time. Combined with a fasting regime, this level of compliance is sufficient to meet my health goals. YMWV.

There is not a right answer to having or not have Ice cream. Sometimes you have to enjoy the day or two for a special occasion and not feel guilty about it. You have to enjoy life and having ice cream and a burrito every now and again is ok.

As long as you can get back to it and not totally fall back into old bad eating habits :slight_smile:

(Wendy) #6

Yes. I think I’ll have this treat. I fasted this morning and ate a healthy keto lunch. (Chicken and pork and a few green beans) My son and wife and grand baby are all going, along with my hubby and BIL. I think this will be a feasting day.
I’ll just allow myself a small scoop and enjoy it without guilt. I think I’ll skip dinner as well and eat at lunch tomorrow.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #7

You get better by making better choices. If you want the ice cream, eat it, but consider how two higher carb days in a row are gonna affect you and make your own call. It’s harder to get back on with more time off.

(Wendy) #8

This is true. :persevere:

(Wendy) #9

I did have some icecream but opted for the 4oz kids cup. It was plenty and I enjoyed it and sharing the experience with my granddaughter. I took a picture to share it but can’t find the file to share from my phone.
We were at a 100 year old ice cream place. Nice atmosphere. They are about to closer for the season.
No regrets but now it is back to the regular program. Keto on!

(Running from stupidity) #10

You want to be voted off the island?

(Pretty sure that’s right, but I know I’m terrible with pop culture references, so you know…)

(Wendy) #11

I’m assuming that’s a reference to some tv program. Nah. I want to stay on the island. :laughing:
I’ll be good from now on. :blush:

Wendy, Wendy, Wendy. I don’t know what I’m gonna do with you. :wink:

First, you’re absolutely right, today IS a new day. How many stories around here of people “falling off the wagon” and getting back up by eating keto or even fasting? Let’s not make a day determine the outlook for the rest of our lives. We eat this way for our health, for our lifetime, not the moment.

Please don’t let an off plan day convince you you’re being bad. Drinking battery acid is bad. Eating carbs is just not optimal. We all react differently to the foods we eat. Some can have more carbs in a day and rebound just fine. Some, if they have 21g will be knocked out of ketosis for a week.

Your living this lifestyle because you’ve made choices to take control of your health and well-being for the long term. If you’re feeling guilty because you ate a burrito one day, or KFC another, then please re-exam those choices that made you start eating keto in the first place.

My biggest concern for ALL of us is, if we feel guilty because we ate non-keto foods for a day, or a week, we’ll feel like there’s no turning back and we have no control. Well, we all started from somewhere, and I’ll be willing to bet, just like myself, that was a high-carb diet.

Thanks for sharing this, Wendy. You’re braver than I am. I don’t even have the guts to share when I eat non-keto. :astonished:

:heart: :heart: KCKO :heart: :heart:

No, that’s just a fundamental fear of EVERY Aussie! :grin:
There’s sharks in them waters!

Yeah, actually Survivor.

(Wendy) #14

Thank you Darren. You’re gracious and correct!
There were of course consequences to my choices. I fasted since I ate that icecream. I was having some dizziness and lightheadedness. I may have been a bit dehydrated or maybe I messed up my bloody sugar levels. I had some water and pink salt but it didn’treally improve until I ate a few nuts. I’m enjoying a delicons keto lunch. Which is now over. :hushed:

(Ashley) #15

I have enjoyed multiple days of eating things I wanted, my problem is two days can turn into 7 days. I’m much better now with it I can handle 1-2 days. Sometimes allowing myself to have some stops me from just binging. I’ve learned a lot of self control and to know if I’m really wanting something I’ll have it and then go back to eating normal the rest of the day/days to come. Best thing is to learn how things affect you personally, can you handle two days and then back on the horse? Then have the ice cream. If not maybe consider not doing until you have more self control! A few days of carbs doesn’t make me gain weight because I don’t go overboard but it will take me a few days to begin losing again!

For me one of two things happen: if I’m not fully fat adapted, it’s a slippery slope and might be the start of a two week bender - I won’t have the discipline to stop myself - or, if I’m fat adapted I made myself feel so ill I water fast the next 36 hours just to get back to feeling ok again, though I might have a bit of craving to deal with.

The latter is what I’m doing today, sadly - got some bad news last night, comfort ate. Didn’t go over base calories for the day as it was late, but still feel bad. Especially as it broke my fast 2 days earlier than the next milestone.

Draw a line under it, keep calm and keto on.

(It was a Devour brand White mac and cheese, with extra cheese, I nicked off my kid’s treat pile… this is why I don’t keep these things in the house normally.)

Exactly right, @Maulbeere.

Honestly, I think the most I’ve wanted to eat high carb foods is just one day, like on the weekend. I don’t know if I’m worried I’ll do more than one day, or if I just don’t like the way I feel after eating too many carbs.

Sometimes, I experiment to see what effect certain things will have on me. Fortunately, I haven’t had the urge to do more than a day, though. :crossed_fingers:

(Ashley) #19

I don’t know if mine was urge or just convenient while not home for quite a few days which just turned into the hell of it, I have had days of I just ate crap so why not, but was more lazy that food was brought in rather than me making something! Now if I do cheat it’s one meal not one day and back to normal eating for if I’m not particularly hungry I’ll just fast until the next day to give a jumpstart getting back on the horse again.

(Running from stupidity) #20

So YOU say with yer fancy eatin’ and so on. If I want to drink battery acid I can!

:metal::metal::metal::metal::metal:

So I got it right? :highfiveemoji: