April fool fast - Fasting until surplus fat is gone, maximizing autophagy, metabolic repair

(Raj Seth) #1

I just launched an April Fools fast today. Targeting 21-28 days total. I’ve done couple week longs and several shorter fasts for a total of 30 days in the last 92 days. Just spent the last 2 months fast feast cycling to ramp up my metabolism. I’m hoping I’m at 2500/day. That would translate to 20 lbs of fat loss in 28 days. If I can keep that 20 lbs net loss after 28 days, I will finally be under 200
My lean body mass is likely 130-140, leaving 60-70 lbs of fat. At 31 kCals a day, that is about 2000 a day of available energy. I figure from that point it is going to be a 3 day fast max regimen to lose the last 40 lbs of extra.
Water only fast ( includes black tea coffee etc - zero calories daily - no BPC, butterballs etc)

Let’s see how it goes!

(Barbara) #2

Good Luck… keep posting on your progress… I only fast 24/48 hours can’t handle any more … must get easier…

(Raj Seth) #3

Having done a couple week-long fasts and several 3 days - yes it gets waaay easier
I am 24 hours in, and while mentally I could eat, I’m not really hungry. And I am doing water only this time

First time I drank 100 cups of bone broth (felt like)

(Stephanie Sablich) #4

I wish you ALL the strength. Can’t wait to hear about how it goes for you!

Yes, please post updates as you go!

(Jason Cordier) #6

Good luck and nice work. It seems I have started a seven day water fast at the same time as you started your fast. I will use your much longer fast as motivation for me to make it the full seven days! Really look forward to reading your updates :slight_smile:.

(Raj Seth) #7

Starting weight 226
Day 1 + 8 hours:
weight 224.2 (-1.8)
BG 127
pants 38" loose, 36" snug

Only water, salt & franks hot sauce. + 2 lacto fermented dill pickles for probiotics
I will have lactofermented pickles/sauerkraut/cauliflower, minimal amounts, to keep the gut flora flourishing for the first few days, till the gut is cleaned out. I may do a yoga cleanse instead - so as to keep even the most minimal calories out of the equation.
Drank too much salt water last evening as I returned from travels - so had a series of water BMs. like 6-8 of them. 2-10 minutes apart. glad I was home when I did that. Note to self - regulate water intake rate!!

(Raj Seth) #8

Day 2 + 8 hours:
weight 218.1 (-7.9)
BG 136
pants 38" looser, 36" still snug

What a wonderful Whoosh! I had whooshed ON :tired_face: some weight a week ago during the feasting in preparation for this, my most ambitious fast attempt. Wasn’t worried then, so I guess I cant jump for joy with this one.

NVM - YAY!! :+1: :+1: :tada: :tada:

Had a Jim Beam & Dt Pepsi last night (tasted so good)
I found a salt lick. I bought a himalyan pink salt grinder from Costco - $4. I wrenched the entire grinding attachment off the bottle, and found the grinder cap exactly fits the bottle. Now I have access to large salt crystals that I can place under my tongue for a long lasting Umami in the mouth. Had several last night - kept me on track

No physiological hunger yet, but definitely looking at food, thinking of how good a slice of brounschweiger liverwurst would taste, or a TBSP of crunchy peanut butter, or a macadamia or two from the bag that my wife forgot to pack.

It helps that I am home alone - since my wife and kids just went overseas for springbreak, and the working stiff (me) is left here. So, I dont have to cook, smell foods, or any other temptation.

I travel for work tomorrow through Friday - and I dont have to figure out where to get something keto to eat - what a relief!! I know for some travel is a stressor that disrupts keto or fasting, I guess I am lucky that I find fasting the easiest regimen when traveling!

(Liz ) #9

Following and cheering you on!

(Raj Seth) #10

True motivation for the longer fast - while my BG levels have improved, I still get 120-160 fasting readings, and rarely see below 100. I’ve been metabolically deranged my entire life, so lots of derangement to overturn. I want to really get a long period of lower insulin in, lose some 20 lbs of deranged fat cells, and then resume a normal 3 days fasted 4 days feasting cycle.
Will I make it to 3-4 weeks - who knows. What i do know is that I am 2 days 15 hours in and have had no physical hunger issues. Cephalic hunger - sure. But no gnawing hunger pangs - so far so good!

My A1c is down to 5.9 and I graduated out of my endocrinologist practice -so things are definitely going in the right direction. I want to get to 5.0 A1c, and <100 fasting bg regularly

(Raj Seth) #11

Day 3 + 5 hours:
weight 217 (-9.0)
BG 108
pants 38" looser still, 36" almost right

Still no hunger, and even thoughts of food are less persistent
I start traveling today, so no weights for 2 days. Only pants and blood glucose levels…

(Barbara) #12

Great motivation… keeping many of us inspired…

(Raj Seth) #13

I might be interrupting this fast at 6 days(Friday) since I am going up to New London for Keto minifest. The meetup sponsored by Carl Franklin. I want to partake of all the goodies they will have out. I can always resume after that one meal

(Raj Seth) #14

Day 3.75.
BG 107
Pants same. Still some muffin topping in the 36” pants
Any day now, any day…

Will have a one day interruption to my fast since I’m going the 2 dudes meetup on Saturday. Probably fatten up there since Richard and Carl will be cooking for us. Faaaaat!!

(Raj Seth) #15

Uh Oh! Broke the fast today - was in a social setting and dinner was part of it
Had some delicious Buffalo Wings with “Atomic Sauce” @9:45. Post prandial BG 1:30 after dinner 88 :+1::+1:

I’ll fast next couple days then feast at mini-ketofest, and restart an EF after that

(Barbara) #16

You did great,:slightly_smiling_face:

(Beth Utz) #17

You have a plan! Way to keep going!

(Raj Seth) #18

Advice from the Fasting Jedis “ make fasting fit YOUR schedule “

(Raj Seth) #19

Day 6 in sequence, but no longer on original fast. Now it has been a 4 day, then a 20 hour IF, now likely a 42 hour IF is in progress
Yesterday found myself at Misssion BBQ in Bethlehem, PA. Gorged myself on BabyBack Ribs, smoked sausage, pulled pork and brisket. I did overeat. A lot. It was delish!
Was planning on making it OMAD till miniketofest this Saturday, but I seriously doubt I could eat today. So might be a spontaneous 42 hour fast till tomorrow brunch
I will restart the fast clock and the weight and pant fit reporting Sunday, Apr 8

Nonetheless, this morning, my 36” pants are fitting with slightly reduced muffin topping. So still lost a fraction of an inch since yesterday!!!

(Raj Seth) #20

I am resetting my count to Day 1, today, April 9.
I had broken my fast to go up see the dudes for the New London meetup. Had a great time. Chatted with the dudes and other keto’ers. Had a feast cooked by Richard and Carl. My weight wooshed up 7 lbs, was 216 before, and 223 yesterday morning - dunno why I am holding so much water… It’ll woosh back out.
Coming into the day, 35 days fasted of last 100 - 35%.
Fast started after liverwurst dinner last night.
Day 1
Weight 220.7
Fasting BG 132