April 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome

(Ruth Spencer) #61

Yes, thinking about goals might help with distraction.
I did have a teaspoon of cream tonight as I was just getting recurrent intrusive food thoughts, and that seemed to help : )
I’m planning on continuing the fast tomorrow, but I will see how it goes as the day goes on and decide whether to break the fast tomorrow evening or not.

(Nicole Sawchuk) #62

Just past the 36 hour mark! I know I can easily make it to 48 hours as I am too busy at work to eat. I haven’t done 48 hours since December and have not gone 3 days since late October. My body just would not let me fast past 24 hours as the hunger was insane! But this Easter weekend I feasted a lot on meat! I ate 3 times a day which is unheard of from me. I typically only eat OMAD. Despite eating OMAD normally, you don’t get the same brain buzz or energy like you do from EF! But I hate eating during the week day because I do feel it slows me down at work. So I am totally stoked I have been able to push it this far with little to no effort! Actually I couldn’t fall asleep last night, so I got some work reading done (dull and boring but needed to be done).

I know tonight will be hard as I have to cook for my family (well the kids - the husband can fend for himself). I am also hoping to get in a short kettlebell session workout in too!

I am drinking bone broth as autophagy really isn’t my goal but I am trying to bust through the recent weight gain I have been experiencing.

(Tammy) #63

I also find evenings the hardest. Sipping on ketoaide helps. I come here and read forum posts to keep me motivated or read Dr. Fung’s fasting book to keep me going.

Another good thing about fasting is my son is learning to cook.

(Allie) #64

I guess I’m lucky that my routine has me busy all evening after work then in bed by 2030 every night so evenings are no problem for me.

(Doug) #65

:hatched_chick::star::star2: Very well said, Liz.

(KCKO, KCFO) #66

“I’d thank your friends…” is what I meant, sorry hit the send button without proofing everything.

Being fat adapted makes the fasting so much more successful. It is so frustrating when you fast and your body can’t access its own fat. You stay hungry, it can drive down your BMR, since you are just doing the low calories part of dieting if you don’t access your own fat stores. It takes some bodies longer to heal than others, so some can go into ketosis quickly and pretty much stay there, even have to ability to go in and out of it without too many issues. Some of us it takes longer.

It took me a month of IFing up to 36 hrs. to start seeing positive results. I had been on a stall for a while. My body wasn’t ready yet. Then April came and by May I was at my goal, and fasting was sooooo easy during that whole month I could go over 100 hrs. and barely even thought about food. I think now, my body had healed itself, my next A1C was 4.9. I had never been above 5.6 and that only once, it is what lead me to keto/lchf WOE in the first place.

Again, all the best on sorting yourself out.
KCKO
KCFO

(Liz ) #67

Great results!!

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #68

Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear! :nerd_face:

(Steve) #69

Only a month in to Keto - been doing IF over the last 10 days (down to 2 meals a day). 24hrs into a 40hr fast (may be longer if I’m motivated to skip lunch tomorrow) :slight_smile:

(Liz ) #70

You GUYS, it’s been a few days since I broke my 94 hr fast and the scale is holding steady!! It feels like that time I found money in grade school & turned it in to the principal (I know, I know) and she said if no one claims it in a week you can keep it. I’m still holding my breath to see where I am a week out from break fast but so far no one’s come to report a missing $5 (or 5 lbs!)

(John Royals) #71

Get busy think about how you are keeping your insulin low
If you are thinking about food think about something you are going to eat
A super yummy keto meal you earned it
If you are going to eat EAT WELL!!!’n

(Nicole Sawchuk) #72

Yay - I made it to Day 3! I haven’t done that since early October! It was sketchy last night. It was my workout day. Honestly I wasn’t feeling it. I barely got through my workout and probably was only giving it 75%. I was just feeling weak and almost shaky even though my BG had been normal prior to it. I had pre-filled with salt before the workout and was drinking a salted water concoction of mine. I thought I was prepared. I was going to break the fast after my workout. But than I had to rush to take my kids to their activities…got stuck at a train…blah blah blah and by time I got home it was super late and I was feeling really good again. So kept with salt and water and went to bed. I am assuming its proof on the importance of hydration/electrolyte supplementation.

Plan is to break my fast tonight, but we will see how that goes. I have been supplementing with a small cup of bone broth and a tablespoon of coconut oil (straight up) when I feel my brain getting foggy. I am doing this fast mostly for weight loss (okay really for inches lost). I wasn’t down much this morning (maybe 0.5 lb) but I am down 5 lbs total since Monday (remember I had cheated a little over Easter, so I am only just back to normal). The slow drop today though is explained by the fact that whenever I weigh myself the morning following a workout, I am typically higher in weight (I am guessing water retention in muscles). I have gained about 5 lbs since I started working out regularly in January which has concerned me. But logical me has seen some muscle gain and I am trying sooo hard not to let the scale deter me. Easier said than done.

As expected, my BG are a little higher than normal during the fast (I’m typically around 4.7) but they have been reading over 5.1. Dumping excess glucose in my system. My ketones are only at 0.6. No surprise though as I feel like I am using all the source of energy I can get. Actually since January, its rare now I see my ketone levels over 1.3.

I really feel like I can conquer the world! Best fast experience I have had in a long time. Thinking the key is proper feasting and remembering that when you are around maintenance mode, your body can sometimes have a harder time doing EF.

(Beth Utz) #73

Liz you are adorable! Wonderful wonderful!!! You are working so hard!! I want to be an adorable winner like you!:heart:

(Liz ) #74

Aw :blush: Too kind! If you are doing Keto you are definitely winning!!

Did you get the money??:rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Liz ) #76

LOL I was afraid someone would ask that!! I think so?? I’ll ask my mom if she remembers :rofl:

(Steve) #77

I did an EF for 42 hours that resulted in a loss of 4.1 lbs! :open_mouth: But that elation was short lived…this morning I’m back up 2.7 lbs - so a net loss of 1.4 lbs. :frowning: But, the real benefit those of us that are pre-diabetic are trying to do is reset our insulin levels - so hopefully this helped.

Have a Dr’s appointment monday to ask for bloodwork to get my levels checked. I’m presuming that I’m on the cusp of being T2D as it appears I have acanthosis nigricans - which is discolouration of skin - typically in joints, which is typically caused by high insulin levels. I actually noticed the discolouration in late February, but didn’t do anything about them. Mind you, I think they’ve lightened since starting Keto, so I’m hopeful that’s a sign of this potentially being reversed. (but, it’s only been just over a month).

Back doing IF today - 16:8. Knock on wood I get some of that weight loss back with better hydration today (cut the water off yesterday at about half what I normally take in to curtail the diarrhea from coming off the fast).

(Trish) #78

Going to try for a 3 day fast. Had such a bad week with mom taken to ICU , losing a part time job, fighting a chest cold and not sleeping well that I ate the whole darn dark chocolate bar and have 0 breath ketone this morning. Sigh. Weight is holding steady though at 166 after last month’s fast so at least I didn’t gain a bunch. Flex sig next Wednesday…maybe I can fast through to the end of that. Would probably make the pre procedure clense easier LOL. Having coffee now. Will do water for the rest of it. Not in my usual positive mindset so please wish me luck. Thanks.

(Teresa (turtle)) #79

On hour 38 of my first extended fast since early November 2017. Though I almost caved in last night, I feel pretty good this morning. On this fast I am only drinking carbonated water, filtered water or coffee with a splash of HWC and a bit of pink salt and potassium chloride mix.
KCFO!

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #80

So I ended my fast this past Tuesday evening. It lasted 72 hours and I saw a 2lb loss. Since then I’ve been eating two meals a day. With contain a fair amount of pork belly along with other things (cough…jalapeños). Today I was feeling pretty good when I got up so I decided to jump on the scale and what do you know…down another 2lbs. This has got me thinking of doing another 72 hour fast starting tomorrow evening after a nice ribeye with some more pork belly.