Apple Cider Vinegar - my way back to heavy cream

(Karim Wassef) #1

I found out that I had an intolerance to dairy early on in the keto path and I’ve had to let it go - painfully and sadly.

I make exceptions like Parmesan, mozzarella, cream cheese, mascarpone and blue cheese but always in moderation…

Moderation has limited my enjoyment of these cheeses as well as a personal favorite source of fat - heavy cream… the greatest goodness and pleasure (in my view)…

So I’ve been experimenting …

I found that there are certain conditions that exacerbate or diminish my reaction. Predominately, my n=1 experimentation let me down one path… acid!

I find that after my weekly four day EF fast, I have fewer symptoms. If I add ACV (apple cider vinegar), I have none! But if I have a large meal (especially high in protein), I become very susceptible to dairy “dis-ease”… my suspicion is that the food is consuming my limited acid reserves and I cannot digest my lovely cream… this also explained why my dairy intolerance came about as I got older… aging reduces stomach acid!

So - I did the mother of experiments last night… I mixed ACV, Stevia, ice and two quarts of heavy cream (yes… 2) and drank it all down at once after a dinner high in protein.

If I was wrong, it was going to be bad…

But it wasn’t… first, it was delicious! The cream and stevia covered up the ACV but it had a little sour tang (like milk)… but zero discomfort! My ketones skyrocketed from 1.2 to 2.2 in an hour and I was feeling great.

The secret, for me, was more acid. I don’t know if this is common knowledge but I thought I’d share and maybe reopen a lost fat to those like me who have deprived ourselves from it’s delicious goodness. :smiley:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

Interesting, but drinking 1/2 gallon of cream would probably make me sick!:cowboy_hat_face:

(Running from stupidity) #3

Title should prob be: “Acid - my way back to heavy cream”

Hmm. I find this interesting. I have cut out dairy completely but if I could tolerate it in small quantities by adding some acv it may be worth a try. Someday.

(Karim Wassef) #5

Updated to be more accurate :slight_smile:

(Karim Wassef) #6

It made me happy! I was a big milk and cream drinker growing up and I’ve missed it. But this was also an experiment and I needed strong confirmation that this was really a thing!

(Karim Wassef) #7

Please let us know. I’d love to make it n=2… that’s 100% increase in population!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #8

Yes, Cream was the best especially with acid.

(Jason Jodway) #9

If taste is a consideration for you, distilled white vinegar is (most likely)exactly as effective as ACV.

(Laurie) #10

I agree that cream makes life worth living, and I don’t like moderation. I’m eating a cup of whipped cream as I type. Thank you for the info.

(Karim Wassef) #11

I have to admit that I like the taste of ACV. It’s a secret shame, but I have a preference for sour an bitter flavors… :expressionless:

It doesn’t hurt that it seems to drop my blood glucose and that inversely increases my ketones… that’s anecdotal since I haven’t isolated the effect experimentally yet. :slight_smile:

(Jason Jodway) #12

That’s not anecdotal. That’s a guaranteed effect of vinegar (Acetate).

Distilled White Vinegar has the sour flavor without the apple part that may not pair well with what you’re combining. I use ACV straight up and DWV with food combos.

(Karim Wassef) #13

So my new version of bulletproof ice coffee:

ACV + ice + stevia (cold part)

Hot raw cacao + MCT + Himalayan pink salt + strong dark roast coffee (hot part)

Put the hot on the cold and add a lot of heavy cream …

Ketones go nuts = happy

This won’t help you lose weight but it’s my happy and I am lifting great after that.

(Karim Wassef) #14

I try to test on myself since I’m hard to convince… I need data and experiments to really believe it applies to me.

But I believe that credible scientist have shown it to be true. :slight_smile:

(Running from stupidity) #15

Well, n=1 makes sense with bodies and food and so on.

(Windmill Tilter) #16

So - I did the mother of experiments last night… I mixed ACV, Stevia, ice and two quarts of heavy cream (yes… 2) and drank it all down at once after a dinner high in protein.

Holy cow! Did you mean 2 pints, or did you really drink 2 quarts (64oz)? At 100kCal/oz, that’s about 6400 kcal! Respect!!! :slight_smile:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #17

Was it the acv or the cream that raised your ketones? I would think a bit of both

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #18

I just did a google search about vinegar causing dairy to curdle and I learned that cream fat coats the proteins in it and they aren’t “cooked” or curdled by the vinegar but if you did the same with milk it would curdle. Just thought I’d share.

(Karim Wassef) #19

I checked the bottle and I thought it was 2 quarts (half a gallon) but it’s only 1 quart (32oz)… felt like half a gallon!

(Karim Wassef) #20

I think it’s a dynamite combo… one two punch of kicking glucose down and pushing ketones up.