Anyone have a good use for bacon fat?

How do you all clean the leftover “stuff” outlet of fresh grease? Just a sieve over a jar maybe?

(Diane) #22

You can use cheesecloth to strain your bacon fat (or a paper towel or coffee filter in a pinch). I don’t usually bother. Though I probably will when I try the bacon grease candle.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #23

I have a metal mesh strainer that can go over a cup or jar about 3” and bowl shaped. Or I just pour it in a jar and occasionally warm the jar till liquid and all the bits go to the bottom and it’s clean on top. I leave it out by the stove. But I do have an extra pint in the fridge. I try to keep using it up as it’s a good saturated fat I paid for, so I do tend to use it a lot more than other cooking fats. I like coconut oil for many cooked dishes too. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Diane) #24

Plus it’s really yummy when used to cook veggies and eggs.

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #25

I have one of these

(Diane) #26

That’s so pretty! I use a thrift store find to store mine- it’s a largish clear glass container with a screw-on metal lid, sort of like the ones I use to store my q-tips in the bathroom, but bigger. I really like it!

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #27

A few people have thought it was a cookie jar but were disappointed upon opening :joy:

(Diane) #28

:smile::stuck_out_tongue::blush:

(traci simpson) #29

My mom used to have a bacon can that was like a double boiler. the crumbs would stay on the top and the grease would drop below.

(Deborah ) #30

When I was growing up, we always had a coffee can sitting on the back of the stove with bacon grease in it. :smile:

I’m currently using an old olive jar for mine; sits on the counter next to the stove. I don’t bother to strain.

Scrambled eggs are awesome cooked in bacon grease. Just had some last night, along with some chicken gizzards & hearts. I was really bummed this morning when I went in the kitchen and saw that I’d forgotten to put the leftover gizzards in the fridge last night. :frowning: Down the disposal they had to go.

(traci simpson) #31

I use an old coffee cup on the stove so whenever the stove is on it gets nice and hot!

(Little Miss Scare-All) #32

Oh David, David, David. What are we gonna do with you?

(Jill Carpenter aka space coast spinster) #33

And dip in siracha mayo???

(Marianne) #34

We put it on our steaks, chops, etc. It mixes in with the cole slaw we usually have and is delicious - we don’t mind our food touching. :slight_smile:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #35

I just let the solids fall to the bottom of an old salsa jar and stick it in the fridge. The top is clean and the bottom has the bacon pieces. I use both but if you want clean, there you have it. I have also filtered it through cheese cloth. I use it to cook almost everything.

In the winter I line a muffin tin, dump bird seed in, pour filtered bacon dripping on top and stick in the freezer. You can throw one out to the birds and it stays solid. Not so much in the hot summer. You can also makes these (I do it every year and give them out as Christmas gifts. It’s fun picking out different mugs and spoons at the thrift store):

download

(Diane) #36

Very sweet and cute!

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #37

And fun! Thank you, Diane.

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #38

What’s a great idea! I have several bird lover friends. :heart_eyes:

(Troy) #39

Yes
A great spoon topping

Then eat
Just sayin🙂

(charlie3) #40

My produce store has a bakery. The bakery has a chef. I asked him for tips on improving my oil and vinegar salad dressing. He suggested adding bacon fat, said it was quite popular in the last restaurant he worked in. I’ll try that sometime but, I make batches for a week or two at a time. Shelf life of my current mix seems to be indefinite. I wonder if the same will be true with bacon fat added.