Anyone have a good tried and true Guacamole?

(Heather Meyer) #1

Looking for a great flavourful Guacamole recipe that is low on the carb side.

My recipe is usually

3 avocados
1/2 cup diced tomato
1/4 cup diced red onion
4 tbsp lime juice fresh
2 tbps fresh garlic
4 tbsp zesty lime dressing(store bought)
1/4 cup finaly chopped cilantro

(Karen) #2

This āˆ† plus some mayo

K

(Bunny) #3

I like to mix in a tiny dab of sour cream in that too, to make it creamier but not too much sour cream depending on how many avacados Iā€™m using other than that your recipe looks tasty!

(Heather Meyer) #4

but it seems really carby to me?? thats why i was asking for a lower carb versionā€¦

Or am i overcalculating tomato carbs???
How many net carbs in 1 medium tomato?

In mexico we generally do not add things to guacamole other than lime juice and salt unless you want to thin it out because avocados are expensive then we add heavy cream or crema which is a canned cream they sell in mexico. Sometimes it is also good to do this so that you can put it in a squeeze bottle for easy application to food. It would certainly make it even fattier if you add heavy cream. I have noticed when people make guacamole that often Americans donā€™t put enough lime or salt. Try putting a little more than you think you need and see if you like it!

(Jane) #6

Yeah, I agree with @eim - you donā€™t need the tomatoes. I never put any in mine but I do add a bit of sour cream.

(Laurie) #7

Yes, when I lived in Mexico, guacamole was very simple. Once I tried to gussy it up with garlic and stuff, and my friend was horrified.

(Robert C) #8

I have always viewed tomatoes, onions and salsa as ways to increase guacamole volume / keep costs down at restaurants.

Spices or a pre-made spice mix, a little citrus and a carefully measured amount of sour cream (keep it deep green - it comes out a little smoother that just avocados - how much depends on ripeness too - very ripe means you can add less).

Key step is to get your clean hands in there and squish everything between your tightly fisted fingers. I never found a utensil that gives as good results.

Yes haha, it took me a long time to get over what people do to it! Generally the thinking is that if you add stuff especially tomatoes you water it down and the tomatoes get mushy and make your guacamole have a gross texture and go bad faster. As far as spices go, why would you cover up the natural taste of avocados? Even crema is only added if you have to because you have a lot of people and not enough guacamole. It is somewhat looked down upon like ā€œlook theyā€™re being tightā€ because it is still not as good as just more avocado. People might even apologize to their guests like ā€œsorry I had to put some crema because I was short on avocados!ā€. That or they try and add it in an amount no one will noticeā€¦but mexicans always know! Or you are at a cheap taco stand. I have added it to improve macros now. It tastes good and isnā€™t too noticeable if you donā€™t put too much. I do agree with most mexicans though, it taste best un fooled around with.

@PortHardy we used to add several ingredients to our guacamole, but ever since I discovered The Spice Galā€™s Fiesta Blend seasoning, I just mash up some avocados, and add this with salt and pepper to taste. Excellent!

It even fits with my lazy keto philosophy. :grin:

Full Disclosure: This lady is married to one of my co-workers, but Iā€™d buy it even if I didnā€™t know her.

(Running from stupidity) #11

Same here in Australia! (Not that Iā€™m trying to culturally appropriate Guacamole, not at all. Just sayinā€™ this way makes the most sense.)

Exactly.

(Heather Meyer) #12

interestingā€¦ ice never had it sans tomato and onion before

Well, a little tomato is not a deal breaker - the skins contain vitamin c and other nutrients, the slightly acidic quality contrasts well with fattiness, plus the bit of red are justā€¦ cheery.

Costco now sells 3-packs of organic guacamole made in Mexico by a major avocado producer - a smart idea, as it reduces wastage of overripe avocados etc. The preservative they use is lime juice and cilantro oil! Tastes fantastic, and Iā€™m a guacamole snob. I like to add a little cumin powder to it, itā€™s the secret umami ingredient imho. :avocado:

(Carl Keller) #14

I add 2 tbs of sour cream per avocado and about around 1 limeā€™s worth of juice per 3 avocados. If your guac starts browning fairly quick, you can add some lime juice (or lemon) to slow the oxidation. The rest of your recipe is pretty similar to mine.

(Jennibc) #15

I have a very simple guac that I eat daily that takes very little time.
3 avocados
1 teaspoon of chili powder
1 garlic clove
2-4 Tablespoons of lime juice depending on your taste
salt to taste.
I used to make it with tomatoes, jalepenos, cilantro, red onions and then decided spending over a half an hour on guac every third day was a drag. The new way takes less than 10 minutes and I donā€™t have to de-seed jalepenos! Itā€™s good for about three days in the refrigerator.

(Alex) #16

great, easy recipe. to keep carbs to a minimum, just add a small portion of onion and tomato as opposed to the entire vegetable

enjoy :slight_smile:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #17

Ha!, I just mash up avocado and add salt. I thought I was lazy, but I guess Iā€™m just authentic. From now on Iā€™ll be sure to add plenty of lemon juice too. (Lime is rare where I am.) I also like the idea of making it squeezable with some cream.

(Jane) #18

Is it true that putting the seed into the guacamole when you store it in the fridge slows the browning/oxidation?

I used to do that but since going keto there never IS any leftover guacamole! :laughing:

(Running from stupidity) #19

I guess it reduces the surface area exposed to oxygen.

But yes, theoretical indeed :slight_smile:

Hereā€™s how I made mine this morning. I call it ā€œGuacamole Verdeā€.

Quartered the avocado, ditched the seed and peeled. Threw in two-three tbsp of salsa verde (La Costena brand). Sprinkled in some salt. Added some lime juice. Mashed with fork leaving it chunky. Added in a small amount of diced tomato (optional) and good amount of minced onion. Also some chiffonaded cilantro. Mixed lightly with fork, just enough to bring it all together evenly. Served as a chunky mound on side of scrambled eggs and bacon this morning.

I made sure I added enough lime juice and salt to make it tangy and salty enough ā€“ adjusting them both to taste. I didnā€™t have any garlic on hand today but if I did I probably would of added a bit.

Recipe is variant from a Rick Bayless book I have. I really like using the tomatillo sauce some times, nice flavor ā€“ tomatillo in the La Costena Salsa Verde.

I need to buy some serrano peppersā€¦ would of diced a little bit and put it in, to make it a bit hotter than just the jalapeno from the salsa verde.