Anyone feel like fasting?

fasting
extendedfast

(What The Fast?!) #61

I’m 58 hours in and planning to have lunch with my b/f today! I’m shocked at the fact that I’m not gnawing my arm off!

Here are the things I learned:

• it’s mostly a mental game
  • day 2 is easier than day 1.
  • My workouts were good on day 1, better on day 2.
  • Both times I had some salt right before working out and that really helped.
  • I’m not afraid to have some fat or broth to keep going - since ou can mobilize up to 30 cal from each lb of body fat per day - that’s about 1200 cals (ish) for me, so on day 2-3, when I didn’t have food still in my system, supplementing some fat makes sense so I’m not messing with metabolism (assuming I’m understanding this correctly…)
  • fasting isn’t as crazy as it sounds!!
  • fasting is the clear winner in driving up your ketones! I tested this AM with a result of 3.8 ketones, that’s much higher than I’ve ever been!

That’s all! Thanks for all the support! How are everyone else’s fasts going?

(James storie) #62

43 hours in, I’m sure when I’ll end. Feeling good right now!

(KCKO, KCFO) #63

I’ve done 39 hrs. so far, my longest extended was 86.5, so hope to get there again or maybe a few hrs. more.

Gotta exercise that fasting muscle :sunglasses:

Yayhowfun, it is mostly a mental game. I used to fast in my 20s, (I’m in my upper 60s now) somewhere along the way I became fearful of fasting, so hadn’t done it in like 40 yrs. I hope the younger members here will realize they can do this their whole lives to control weight and BS if that is needed.

Keep Calm, Fast On!

(What The Fast?!) #64

61 hours - broke the fast with some avocado and a handful of macadamia nuts. Headed to lunch in a few!

(What The Fast?!) #65

Then followed it up at a birthday lunch (not mine) with a guacamole burger, 2 wings, and a wedge salad. Nomnomnom.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #66

Yes, it is amazing what our wonderful bodies can do, this thread has been a lot of fun to watch your journey!

I totally agree about fasting being 95% mental–you don’t feel hungry but your mind says “Oh, let’s take a bite of that!”

Congratulations on completing this fast and keep up the practice in the future for all of the benefits you get.

(What The Fast?!) #67

Thanks! Ever since lunch, my body has felt super tired. It’s like…oh man…now I have to go back to dealing with DIGESTION?! Ugh… We’d planned to eat dinner tonight before our flight but I don’t know if that’s going to happen!

(Stefanie sidwell) #68

Dang, I would totally do this with you if I didn’t just finish 42 hours this morning. I’ll catch you on the next one? Next week sometime?

(What The Fast?!) #69

Probably! I’m headed home for a wedding this weekend and will be feasting for sure!

(KCKO, KCFO) #70

Congrats that is a good fast length for your first try. You follow up eating sounds good too.

I also get the body wants to know why it has to digest. I get that too. And I also find myself eating much, much slower after fasting. I have a habit of eating way too fast, working life trained me to do that, and even three years into retirement, I can scarf down a bunch of food in only 10 mins. I love this eating slower benefit.

(What The Fast?!) #71

I found the same when I had my first meal after the fast!! I’m also consciously trying to eat slower anyway - I love a long, drawn out dinner - especially with friends and wine. :slight_smile:

(KCKO, KCFO) #72

Finished my fast at 108 hrs. new personal best for me. Down more than 3 lbs.past my goal. All I want to do is a quick refeed and got back to fasting.

Broke the fast with 3 olives, about a half hour later I had eggs benedict without the English muffin. Just 2 eggs, ham, and Hollandaise sauce with a couple of slices of tomato.

Feeling GREAT today. Will be setting a new goal weight now.

Enjoy the 3 day weekend everyone.

(KCKO, KCFO) #73

I did some serious eating after my fast, so last night at 8PM I started another fast, I am going for 72-84 hrs of fasting.

Oh and I set a new goal for myself. I think 133 lbs. would be a nice place to be. So will be feasting/fasting/eating till I get there. 1989 was the last time I weighed into the 130s.

How are you all doing with your fasting?

(What The Fast?!) #74

That’s awesome! How far away are you from that goal?
I did 61 hours. I was in Michigan this weekend for a wedding and even though I ate keto, I managed to gain SIX lbs…but I also came back with a really bad cold, so hoping it’s fluid retention. :slight_smile:
I started a new fast last night, mainly to help me get through this cold quickly. Fingers crossed!

I’m trying the Fasting Mimicking Diet that @BillJay mentioned in another thread. I had a bit of MCT in my coffee this AM and half an avocado this afternoon. I’ve bone broth in the Instant Pot as we speak and I’m drinking loads of liquid trying to kick this cold. I feel like I got hit by a train.

(KCKO, KCFO) #75

Sorry about the cold. The bone broth should help with that issue for sure.

My new goal is only 6 lbs. more.

I’ll see how that goes and if it feels right, I might go for something lower. I am really wanting to find my Phinney weight at this point. Something I can live with day in and day out.

I need to read more about maintaining now. What a great problem to have!

(What The Fast?!) #76

How long have you been keto and what did you start at??

(KCKO, KCFO) #77

Started at 170, beginning of Aug. 16. I did Atkins 20 grams induction plan for foodies. I am also on MFP, and had lost and gained eating mostly the Zone diet, 40c/30c/30p. I got to 155 doing that and then went back up to the 170,I really really wanted to find something that would work and stick. I’ve gone from barely fitting into sixe 16 pants to wearing size 6 pants. I love this WOE and now I love fasting too. Win-win.

I am older, 67, short 5’3". My first goal was to get within the normal range at 141, So I thought a few more lbs. past that would be good. Again, I will see how it goes, I might want to go lower, but I don’t want to be a skinny old lady. I want to look fit and healthy, I do walking and strength training and some yoga thrown in. Keeping it simple.

(Kanel) #78

Started my first 72-hours fast yesterday at 6 pm. I don’t really do it for weight loss as I’m quite lean already, just for the experience and to see how easy/hard it will be. Been doing keto for 1 year :slight_smile:

(Sheri Knauer) #79

Just ended a 36 hour fast. I was looking forward to it but I gotta tell you, I really struggle with it. I am pretty lean so day one is just hunger throughout most of the day. I end up having some coffee with a splash of HWC and some MCT oil and that helps for a bit but then the hunger comes back. I supplement with salt throughout the day and that helps. I even had a tsp of butter last night and 1/4 cup of bone broth. I am coming to the conclusion that I do so much better with IF than extended fasting. Perhaps I shall change my extended fasting protocol to maybe 1 a month or once every other month to see how that works out. My main goal was to reap the benefits of autophagy. I was doing a 36-42 hour fast once a week but its still a struggle. Is there anyone else who has been really struggling with fasting for more than 24 hours? Just curious.