Any favorite YouTube personalities that give good keto advice? Whose videos should I avoid?

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #21

Oh yeah, Biohackers Lab has a ton of ketonians on, with other interesting things.

(Allie) #22

I’m so pleased to know I’m not the only one! I really don’t like him… I’ll listen to his podcasts as there’s a lot of info to pick up, but he’s vile. I don’t like the way he makes fun of people who ask him questions, and people’s names too. He’s just rude and arrogant.

(Todd Allen) #23

I keep chickens and they most definitely intentionally eat grass. Insects and worms are by far their favorite foods but they are omnivores and they eat pretty much everything even things that make no sense like styrofoam.

(charlie3) #24

We don’t have to suffer the wannabes. I listen to scientists talking about their own work or reviewing the work of other scientists. I’ll listen to medical docs talking about their patients. I’ll listen to someone who has a good way of describing their direct personal experience. I have no interest in self appointed experts talking outside their field, especially when it turns out they have products to sell.

Chickens eat anything and everything, I think my goats are fussier.

(Chris Robertson) #26

I grew up on a small farm and have had chickens my whole life (38 years) and have never seen a properly fed chicken eating grass just to eat grass. Chickens will eat anything you put in front of them if that chicken is hungry. My statement about chickens NOT being grass fed was based on the fact that grass doesn’t hold the significant or necessary nutritional value for a chicken. A grass fed chicken will quickly turn into a dead chicken. To make a statement like “if your chickens are not grass fed their eggs hold no nutritional value” is ridiculous. The reason I still raise my own chickens as an adult is that I believe that the nutritional value of their eggs and meat is increased if they get outdoors and eat that stuff they will find outdoors. I also know that most chickens raised on an organic free range farm never explore their world enough to bother going outdoors so organic and free range from a factory farm is still far from ideal and the only way to get the product I want is to grow it myself. Although my chickens eat some grass, they are not grass fed.

(Charlotte) #27

I love Keto Connect! I just bought their cookbook, and it’s fantastic.

(Todd Allen) #28

You’ve either never given your chickens access to grass or you have never spent much time watching your chickens. Go to YouTube and search “chickens eating grass” and you can find endless videos of plenty of well fed chickens eating grass.

But I do agree the phrase “grass fed chickens” is stupid. It should never be their whole diet although mature grass bearing seed can supply a significant part of their diet. Wheat is a grass and the seeds of wheat are often used as chicken feed. A significant portion of our chicken feed, ~30%, is spent brew grain, mostly barley - also a grass, some rye - another grass, wheat and oats - yes a grass. Corn another grass is also major component of chicken feeds.

I also object to eggs from “vegetarian fed” chickens. That also is an unnatural diet for chickens and the only way to enforce it is to keep them isolated from bugs and other small animals.

(Chris Robertson) #29

Yes grain is grass seed but thats not quite the same. When we talk about grass we are not talking about seed, we are talking about the rest of the plant. If it were the same thing then corn fed cattle could still be considered grass fed.

I did what you suggested and watched the top youtube videos of chickens eating grass and what I saw was chickens forging through grass looking for something to eat. The top vid was a lady tossing a handful of clipping out and the chickens were actively throwing the grass out of the way with their feet while pecking at the ground trying to find some food hidden in the grass. It’s not chickens eating grass, it’s chickens pecking at grass trying to find seeds, bugs, and worms.

I too object to eggs from vegetarian hens and agree that a farmed chickens diet should be as natural as possible which means they need some live food.

For the record my hens have a hutch big enough for them to lay their eggs and sleep in and then they get to roam my back garden (in America it would be called a yard) which is entirely grass.

(Chris Robertson) #30

I want to thank everybody for the responses. I now have several hundred more hrs of youtube vids to watch. There are a lot of experts listed in this thread I had never heard of and I know a few more channels that I can not waist my time with. Many thanks.

(GINA ) #31

My chickens ate my grass. They ate everything.

He probably heard “pastured” somewhere and thought it meant grass fed. People who don’t know much about farm animals like to say a lot of things. Thinking chickens should be vegetarian fed is another example. The happiest I have ever seen a chicken is when she catches a lizard. A big, meaty, juicy lizard.

(mole person) #32

Oh me too! I’d listened to every Keto Dudes podcast and every Obesity Code podcast and didn’t know what to listen to next (I do a lot of walking and listen to podcasts while I do.). I started in on the Fasting Talk with Jimmy Moore and bailed after three episodes.

Actually, if anyone knows another solid Keto or IF related podcast I’d be very interested.

(Chris Robertson) #33

I think you are right. I also think that consistently making incorrect statements about how food should be raised or grown is a discredit to the keto movement.

(less is more, more or less) #34

If you’re active, I find the Ketogenic Athlete podcast is helpful. I nearly always skip past the first 10 minutes of “warm-up” irrelevant filler, which is increasingly popular with too many podcasts. They always have solid guests as well.

(mole person) #35

Thank you! I’ll check it out. :smiley:

(Todd Allen) #36

Chickens prefer new growth which they will eat to the ground. Mature grass they mainly eat the seed and tender green tips which they can easily tear off. Cut grass they mostly pick through it looking for smaller pieces they can swallow as they can’t easily tear off a bite sized portion from loose blades. And the way they tear off bite sized chunks is by a fast jerk. If cut grass is too coarse their jerk technique doesn’t work and they mostly throw it around.

Here’s a video where you can very clearly see chickens eating grass

And here’s a video with chicken tractors on pasture. It isn’t as clearly obvious but 45 seconds in to the video when you see where the tractor has been it’s obvious much of the vegetation is gone, not just dug up and trampled.

I brought up grains are grasses not to suggest that there isn’t a distinction between grain fed and grass fed animals but just to make it clear that much of conventional chicken feed comes from grasses. If you put chickens on pasture they will eat much more of the grasses than just the seed.

(Sharon) #37

Of course, 2KetoDudes podcasts are great. I have also learned a great deal from Jason Fung MD podcasts some are on 2KetoDudes. Also I like any of the videos from Breckenridge 2018 most recently, but the 2017 are supurb. I stay away from Mercola and Berg because they are always selling stuff.

(less is more, more or less) #38

Having listened to the latest 2KetoDudes podcast, #120, I fear I might be misunderstood.

First thanks to Carl and Richard for calling out people whom fat-shame. While I was motivated by weight-loss, I accidentally found a healthier way of living. Having been fat-shamed for five decades, I’m empathetically understand how miserable it is to experience it, and how counter-productive it is.

In regards to Jimmy Moore’s physical appearance, I have little idea about it. My critique is on style and substance, not looks. I prefer a more clinical and data-driven presentation of findings. This is why I like the AskAdapt and Low Carb Breckenridge presentations.

(Bella) #39

Was really into Dr.Berg at the beginning, but he reminds me of a nasty school teacher I had in primary school - can’t get past it.
For personality and entertainment (vampire voice) I like Slim Land.

(Rocky B) #40

I have to give a shout out to Butter Bob. He may not be the most scientific contributor but he got me started on keto. I soon found Dr. Ken Berry and consider him my go to guy. Of course, I try to absorb everything I can find with Dr. Phinney and Dr. Fung even with their fasting philosophy differences.