Any favorite YouTube personalities that give good keto advice? Whose videos should I avoid?

(Chris Robertson) #1

I’ve spent hundreds of hrs consuming content about the Keto diet and found that there are a lot of terrible “experts” on youtube, some good ones, and some great ones.

My favorite videos, thus far, have been by Thomas DeLauer. He references real studies and generally gives good explanations in his advise.

The guy that makes me cringe in just about every video is Dr Eric Berg. Although he gives a lot of good information he also makes a lot of inaccurate/uninformed statements that have little or no scientific backing. I’ve watched two of his videos today and in one he said there is no water in the body. This simply isn’t true. He then went on to make a distinction between pure water and water mixed with things minerals. Of course all water in our body has minerals in it. The water we drink has minerals in it. Pure H20 absorbs the minerals in the body and can actually kill you. In the second video I watched today had him saying that if your chickens are not grass fed then their eggs have no nutritional value. Chickens are never grass fed. If you feed a chicken only grass it will die. The only grass a grazing chicken eats is by accident because it eats stuff surrounded by grass. His videos are littered with bad info like this.

Who do you guys think give the best advice and who should be avoided? If you have an explanation as to why I would appreciate that info as well.

(Doug) #2

Chris, I guess the moral of the story is don’t count your chickens before the grass is mowed, then?

Dennis Fung and Benjamin Bikman are the two that first come to my mind. You’ll get a lot of other recommendations, too, I reckon. It matters where you are - some people focus more on the obese, those with metabolic syndrome, diabetes, etc., like Fung.

EDIT: It’s Jason Fung. Good grief, and thanks to Mary, below.

(Mary) #3

Haven’t had your coffee yet, eh Doug?
It’s “Jason” Fung, not Dennis… :grin:

(Doug) #4

So right, Mary. :+1: :slightly_smiling_face: One cup of coffee in me, no excuse there. Dennis Fung had a part in the O.J. Simpson trial, and somewhere along the way I started replacing poor Dr. Fung’s first name with his - I’ve done it before. :blush:

(Jo O) #5

Ivor Cummins
Stephen Phinney
Jeff Volek

(Teresa (turtle)) #6

Keto Savage, Jason Wittrock, Goody Beats, Going Gonzo Keto Diet, Logan Sneed, Dr. Ken Berry, Pearls of Wisdom and Food with Keto are all good IMO.

Add Dom D’Agostino and Peter Attia

(Diane) #8

For Keto science, I like Benjamin Bikman as well. Georgia Ede, Gary Fettke and Ivor Cummins are great presenters (see the YouTube channel Low Carb Down Under, among others).

(less is more, more or less) #9

Just about any video on Low Carb Down Under is solid. Dr. Eric Westman and his Adapt Your Life channel is also solid with many medical and scientific LCHF luminaries highlighted there. Another must-watch is Nina Teicholz, just about anywhere she’s interviewed. There’s a ton of material there, so I haven’t done any spelunking outside of those venues.

Keto/LCHF is so effective that it draws out the snake oil salespeople, which is too bad.

There’s something about Jimmy Moore that rubs me the wrong way.

Newbie seeking science based keto podcasts

Must hear is the 2 keto dudes, bleeped Jason Fung, just about fell out of my chair

(Shayne) #11

My favorite right now is Dr Ken Berry. I check youtube every day to see if he’s posted anything new. I might even have to log into instagram again because he’s posting videos over there now, too.

He is good, i do like him, I also like the primal edge guy

(Diane) #13

Hmmm… I haven’t seen any of his videos. Thanks for the suggestion! And shame on you for feeding into my internet, keto research addiction!! :wink::wink:

(Brian) #14

Dave Feldman and Ted Naiman are two more that I appreciate.

Lots of great personalities listed so far!

(Shayne) #15

OMG I’m driving my kid crazy with the YouTube videos on the TV every night!

(Charlotte) #16

LOL this is such a tiny thing, but Dr. Berg has repeatedly said that coconut oil and coconut butter are the same thing and THEYJUST F%*&ING AREN’T! Drives me nuts.

(Allie) #17

Shawn Stevenson - he is very much pro-keto and mentions it here and there, but with loads of other great info too. The Model Health Show is his podcast and I know he’s on You Tube too.

(Katie) #18

Keto Connect is my favorite.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #19

Low Carb Down Under post videos from various LC conferences. The docs, scientists, researchers, journalists and citizens at the front of the movement. Good way to find who you like and who you don’t.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #20

For the last12 years. Yes.