Another post about not losing weight

(Empress of the Unexpected) #41

True - but why was it easier to eat the 1,000 calories at McDonalds rather than at home? It’s harder to get that kind of calorie load from whole foods. Easy cause of all the junk McDonalds puts into their meals. How ironic!

(Anjum) #42

Two meals a day is where I am at. I do a bullet proof ish coffee between 6pm and noon. And eat between 1 pm and 6pm - mostly. I do have off days where I feel I need to eat more. But my mornings are always the same.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #43

I find if I load up on fats, it’s just as easy.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #44

I’m still struggling. I’m using a lot of fats, but don’t think I am anywhere near a McDonald’s meal, especially calorie wise. (Ok, breaking news, I am - 8 slices of bacon and a half avocado are 586.) And that’s just breakfast. Was not tracking calories. Project for tomorrow - track everything, including calories. I thought I was undereating. Not yet fat adapted so I will continue to eat until I’m full.

In theory, I think my body would do better with larger meals. I think from all the abuse I put it through has it go into ‘starvation mode’ very quickly. Even the IF seemed to trigger it, and that was with a 12:30pm-7pm eating window. I seem to feel best when I have something small in the morning, a light lunch and a larger dinner.

I always felt I was lucky because doctors told me I hadn’t done any obvious permanent damage from the eating disorder, but I notice little things now. Eating disorders are disgusting and absolutely detrimental, and I can feel the damage. Hence the instant (perma?) starvation mode. I have issues with staying regular- that’s why I love the fiber. My stomach is prone to being acidic since my relapse days, probably from having bulimic tendencies while starving myself. Yes, that’s possible. I went 7 1/2 months without solid food, only drinking vitamin water, chicken broth, and slim fast- and right before treatment would chug water to purge and had nasty stomach ulcers that took forever to heal. It’s disgusting, and it’s a miracle I didn’t die. I now don’t believe doctors that said I didn’t do any damage! It has been 2 years since I have relapsed (WOOT! A record for me!) but I am wondering if I permanently damaged my body, or at the very least have to give it proper time and care to heal. It seems that every relapse would come with more weight that I put on, and I’ve never been a processed food/sweets eater. (I love my veggies!)

This is probably TMI for the guys out there, but since I tried the AIP diet (last half of last year) on a hunch and especially when I started keto, my cycles have actually been regular. (I don’t have endo or PCOS) So perhaps my body is just now starting to regulate and heal after 2 years since relapsing? If so, I can’t see how it would be happy to shed fat just yet when functioning normally and healing comes first.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #46

My dinner tonight was 816 calories. I had a 1/3 pound 73/27% fat burger. I took a tablespoon Kirkland Bacon crumbs and mixed in with the meat. Topped it with a slice of Muenster, and tablespoon avacado oil mayo. All in a romain leaf. On the side I had some sauerkraut and a cup of zoodles prepared in ghee.
Had I remembered I had a can of green olives in the pantry, I would have added that to my burger and upped my calories even more, but alas I forgot.
It really wasn’t a huge plate of food.

That sounds amazing!!!

(Empress of the Unexpected) #48

I forget. Are you TMAD? If so, what does the other meal look like?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #49

Yes, TMAD. Today I was completely unprepared for work, so I grabbed a bag of pork rinds and a block of cream cheese and ran out the door.

It was last day of school for my son and it’s been a crazy week with field trip and baseball…

Anyway, I ate almost the whole bag with a good hunk of cream cheese warmed just a touch as a dip. I also had some almonds I keep in my cupboard at work.

So that meal was 750 calories.

Typically I don’t eat so snacky, but you do what you gotta do.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #50

My stats for today ended at 1705 calories.
143g fat - 76%
80g protein - 19%
21g carbs - 5%

My carbs are total, not net, so I know I’m still under the 20, but even if I were 1 gram over net I wouldn’t sweat it.

This is such a challenge, isnt it!!
I have been strictly keto since Jan this year, having fluffed around the edges of low carb for a few months before that.
Over that time my net weight loss is nil - not a bloody gram!
I have gained and lost over that time as I played with variations but not lost any overall.
A couple cm off my waist, but honestly, that could be accounted for by a good poo.

I have cut out dairy, which eased symptoms of reflux.
I have eaten more and didnt find it made much difference.
I have fasted - no real change.
OMAD and IF - no real change.
Eaten more fat - eaten less red meat. Scales play silly buggers with me but end up back at their happy place.

Dont get me wrong, I feel terrific!
Off all BP and psych meds, my HbA1C is now 4.9, and I am well and active and love this WOE for all the other benefits, but I still feel that another 15 kgs (or even 10) off will stop my old arthritic knee from yelling at me.

Fast forward, was listening to a Robb Wolfe podcast the other day, and his guest was talking about pitfalls of keto for weight loss.
I realise the one thing I have not modified in my diet is dropping dietary fat intake.
I am now fat adapted - have to be after 6 months of this WOE.
I have HEAPS of fat in my adipose, so I am going to drop dietary fat intake, still eat to satiety, and see if that makes a difference.

It is the only thing I can think of - I have been providing too much dietary fat now that I am adapted enough to be pulling from my own fat stores.

Was it Dr Berg or Dr Westman who said that if your body is HF your diet doesn’t need to be?

Jennyellen, I wonder if that could be it. I do have reflux and am cutting dairy anyway. Now that you mention it, I do recall reading online about if you eat ‘too much’ fat than your body needs it doesn’t need to use your own body fat. I’ll have to see if I can find the link… it was an article I skimmed over several months ago. I know fat is energy, but shouldn’t in theory our bodies need less dietary fat to use up our own fat stores first?

Worth a try :slight_smile:
If we are fat adapted then it is our body fat we want to burn, not the bacon fat!
I suppose it is like sitting and being fed (eating too much dietary fat) versus rummaging around in the back of the pantry to find that meal and then preparing it (using body fat).
The body will do what is easiest.
Caveat is we need to be fat adapted though.
Good luck!!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #54

The way it was explained to me is that the body responds differently at different levels of caloric intake, and responds differently to different macros.

So in the presence of a high level of dietary carbohydrate, regardless of the total caloric intake, insulin secretion forces the muscles to burn glucose and the fat cells to store fat.

In the absence of dietary carbohyrate, there is minimal insulin secretion, so muscles are free to burn fat and ketone bodies and fat cells are free to release fatty acids to be metabolized. HOWEVER, in the abscence of enough calories, the body responds by lowering the basal metabolic rate and still hanging on to the stored fat. But when the body is receiving enough calories, it increases the metabolic rate, releases excess fat to be metabolized, and can even find ways of wasting energy.

The key is eating fat to satiety, so that you give the body enough energy without stimulating insulin production. The body cuts off the appetite once you have eaten enough calories, at a level which allows it to metabolize both dietary fat and body fat. That level may be high or low, but you don’t have to worry about what it is; your body takes care of that. There are documented cases of people losing fat on daily diets of 3,000 and even 5,000 calories, but most people with excess fat to burn find their satiety kicking in around 1500 calories or so per day. As Dr. Westman puts it, “Calories do count, but you shouldn’t count them.”

Your post makes some good points Paul, but there is no metabolic sensor for calories.
Cholecystokinen senses fat levels.
Peptide YY senses protein levels.
Some other hormones a sensitive to other micronutrients (notable sodium), but nothing senses calories or carbs specifically.
The closest it may get is stretch receptors in the wall of the stomach responding to filling the stomach, but they are not specific to nutrients - just volume.

What the body is responding to by altering BMR is energy levels, not calories.

There is an absolutely guaranteed way to lose weight- fasting. It’s cheap, simple, and efficient. And not as difficult as most people think it is. Just determine the dosage that works best for you. I liked the OMAW plan. Or, fast until desired weight is reached.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #57

When you drop fat, if still eating to satiety, does that mean upping protein?

Maybe. I am trying to fill up on more leafy veggies.
I do miss bacon though!

(LeeAnn Brooks) #59

Would transitioning to slightly less fatty cuts of meat work? Protein slightly up, fat slightly down.

And sticking with hard boiled or poached eggs vs fried or scrambled in butter or bacon fat?

Those seem like simple tweets that could decrease fat a little while still giving you a Keto base.

4dmi, with all due respect, I believe I have already mentioned why fasting is dangerous for me. I appreciate you sharing your opinion, but if I were to ‘fast until my desired weight’ that would send me straight into a relapse. Was OMAW a typo, supposed to mean one meal a day, or did you mean one meal a week?