Another Carnivore Thread

what are you eating S?

what is a typical day if you aren’t eating carnivore style?

just wondering :slight_smile:

Hey all. Been floating around a few threads here, and working a crap ton of hours. Did a little stress eating that was not carnivore, but am finding my way back. =)
This whole virus thingy is really wreaking havoc at some of our grocery stores - which may be the same as what’s going on everywhere. The most significant development (concerning our meat supply) is the closing of the meat packing plant in Green Bay. Its roughly 3 hours from us, but much of our meat supply comes out of that area. Also, egg prices skyrocketed here a couple weeks ago.$2.79 for 18 eggs is now $5.99/18, and rising.
SO, I can’t remember if I posted this or not, but, we bought 16 chicks, and a few turkeys.The feed store kept selling out of the chickens and turkeys, we just got what we could and rolled with it. The chicks are a dual purpose breed, so we have layers. Also bought an incubator a couple weeks ago- which is probably going to end up being money well spent (especially if things go south.) There are two roosters in the group of chicks we bought, so, we should be able to get some to reproduce and continue the chicken-raising process for meat, if need be. Otherwise, we’ll just have a lot of chickens everywhere. =)
The only big question now is when it comes time to butcher cattle- am I going to have to do that myself?! I have gutted, skinned and quartered one before, don’t relish the idea of doing it again - but if need be, I guess I can. Anyone know of a good YouTube how to butcher a cow video? LOL!

I sure hope all of you are doing well. Hang in there and KCKO!

(Scott) #1748

As I continue on my carnivore journey of about six weeks now I have a question. I was listening to a podcast by Dr. Karl Goldcamp where he said eating only muscle meat without organ meat is not going to go well. I eat little chicken, eggs, bacon, sausage, salmon and steak (ribeye). Is this going to leave me deficient in any key area? I supplement with Vitamin D3 and Magnesium citrate to keep cramps at bay. Should I look to supplement with anything else? I am a kind of person that prefers not to take anything that there is not known need for.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #1749

@Rclause Organ meats like liver can help a lot with those deficiencies. Had some last night with bacon. :yum::cowboy_hat_face:

(Scott) #1750

I guess I have been avoiding organ meats. Liver is probably as far as I will go but that means that I will need to learn to cook it. The wife refuses to go near it.

I mostly eat eggs since ages, that never changes, whatever I do. Without eggs I would probably starve but it depends, I am good at not starving in most circumstances. But it would be extremely difficult.

I don’t really have a typical day when off carnivore, too many things are possible now, I guess I have this weird rebellious and chaotic phase but I will calm down as it’s no good. I eat my eggs, dairy and some plants. Never much vegetables or processed stuff but I don’t necessarily shy away from the carbiest things at home if they are on the menu and I don’t see an easy better option at the moment. It would probably be different would I live alone.

If I behave and stay very low-carb, I have not much options as I can’t eat more than a negligible amount of vegetables and oily seeds again (they don’t satiate me anyway). So it’s gluten and/or eggy sweets, usually pancakes (I make progress with not sweet pancakes as they are awesome too) besides my usual animal products (I even eat a tiny bit of meat as I like my smoked pork but my currently quite small meat supply is for my carnivore-ish days). And whatever is nice with my food but in very small amounts and with the risk of going over my personal ketosis limit. I handle this unwell, carnivore-ish is where I am safe and I can be sure I probably won’t go way over 20g net carbs as long as I am careful with lactose… I never noticed any problem with any edible plants as long as my carbs were low enough.
Sometimes I eat more dairy as the non-egg part of my diet, it’s okay now and then but it’s not my style, meat is way better as my secondary staple, from every viewpoint, I just can’t get nearly enough now. But it could be way worse, I have options, I have even some meat, I always can eat tasty, good food and I feel well as long as I don’t mess my woe up. And it will get better for sure.

Do not listen to this bad info :slight_smile:

There are veterans on zero carb sites eating just any meat they want, and no organ meats at all for well into 20 plus years and they are thriving point blank.

Now if one wants to experiment and eat it, go for it but there is nothing in that organ meat that regular old meat/seafood/fish/fat isn’t gonna give you :slight_smile: (unless you are fighting some true medical condition etc) that might warrant it etc. but that is very personal on that one.

I am 5 years Zero carb with extreme low carb mixed in and 3 years all in carnivore and I am thriving…I eat no organ stuff…….so take it all with a grain of salt on that advice.

I take no supps of any kind ever. If a doctor recommended some supps due to bloodwork showing deficiencies etc I would take some, but I am not one to take supps/crap for the heck of it guessing I might need it LOL probably do more harm than good to the old body.

just my thoughts on all of it, everyone has to find that sweet spot on how they wanna roll.

(Not a cow) #1753

I enjoy liver once a week, not necessarily for the nutrients, but I kind of look forward to it as a change in flavor. Normally I’ll have it with bacon and eggs, but sometimes the left overs just get added as a side to some other meat dish.

Plus I love the way people cower in fear whenever I mention it. I never did see the liver eating episode on Fear Factor, or was there ever ? :wink:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #1754

Fangs that just isn’t true. I’m not arguing that some carnivores haven’t done fine without it but the nutrients in liver aren’t all available in muscle meat and certainly not in the quantities that liver has. And if you experiment with it you can cook it to your liking or as @barefootbob does eat it raw if you trust the source. Native Americans did this while hunting, it was eaten right away by the hunter. Most people prefer it cooked medium and not well done. The more you cook it the stronger the taste. It’s a carnivore superfood. Had it for dinner last night with bacon and a little sour cream. :cowboy_hat_face:

OK OK I give ya that one and you are so right :slight_smile: :slight_smile: but I didn’t mean it like down to exact science nutritional breakdown from my statement. Yes it is different and some do so well on it and eat it, but 10s of thousands of us don’t eat organ and are thriving so? that is kinda what I meant :slight_smile: but ya know many zc’ers who say they would never touch it…yea they try it and like it LOL

Organ meats: I like to take chix gizzards and chix hearts and add to chix broth to make a nutritious soup. Longer they cook, the softer they get.
Then there’s always liverwurst. I always keep a chunk of that in the freezer. When Im jonsing for liverwurst and purple onion, I pull it out, cut off a chunk and then refreeze the rest. It can be frozen over and over again.
I find calves liver easier than beef liver. Cooked in butter and garlic and squeeze lemon all over it and you have a piccata… delicious. You’d never know you were eating liver.
Beef Heart… grill or chop up. And add to chili, stew, soup, ground beef…
I think that’s about the extent of my organ eating.
I love offal. But prices have skyrocketed on oxtail, beef cheeks, tongue… its ridiculous.
I eat a lot of ground beef. With enough creativity, you can make a different meal, nearly everyday. And in some markets, they have a good price. I shop at - 5-6 stores, depending on weekly specials.

:metal:

This is a great post. No kidding. Many can cut up a few pieces of liver and add into a steak situation or whatever :slight_smile: I mean eating ‘some liver’ or more like ya said can easily be handled for all of us zc’ers. No doubt about that and you gave a great post showing it!!! Cool.

Liverwurst…had the best in the North when I lived there, now I am Southern and this ‘livermush’ just doesn’t cut it and I can’t find my ‘good old usual liverwurst from the past’ down here and honestly…a google online and a delivery might be in order for me :slight_smile:

and everyone remember there are ‘liver supps’ that are ‘whole liver’ in a pill form. while supps are never recommended in a carnivore life, a supp of a ‘real meat product’ is different in that a few take liver supps……and do very well on them. A supp of ‘our food’ is not the same as hitting C or D3 or K or E etc…….so if one can find a stellar liver supp pill and it helps ‘us feel more amazing’ then yea…go for it :slight_smile:

Just to stray a wee bit, another great thing to do, especially if you have a couple of Carnivore buds to feed, get yourself a pig’s head. Have the butcher cut it in half. Roast one half on a thick skillet type pan, either a cookie sheet or your iron skillet. Spice up the head and roast it until done. Great social event with friends. Everyone picks at the head and has conversation while eating…
Take the other half and put into a large kettle. Spice that sucker up with every kind of spice you love… submerse the head and simmer.
Cook on simmer for a good 24 hours. You will create the most fragrant gelatin, and a great poached head of pork meat. Make head cheese… there are other recipes to use that wonderful poached meat in… Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern always has some great ideas and recipes they do on offal…

P.S. You will usually find the pigs teeth at the bottom of the pot… they look just like ours. :smiley:

:sunny: BB you are the bomb on new recipes for zc eating…love it.

the teeth then make very good necklaces and other crafty things :wink:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #1760

@Fangs Carnivore Jewelry! I love it. A big string of teeth around your neck paired with a good Carni-T when you go grocery shopping! Fly that Carnivore flag. :joy::joy::cowboy_hat_face:

Livermush… just the name is revolting. The stuff around here has rice in it.
I love good liverwurst and head cheese, though. Yes, I still eat liver raw if well sourced. I’ve got some from White Oak Pastures now. I prefer it just thawed enough to chew so it’s like a liver pop. :grin:

hey I saw on a homestead show where people processed their own hogs and the one guy did make a necklace for his ‘lucky’ wife…she said she liked it, I gotta say it looked like crap HAHA

a liver pop LOL

livermush, saw it once many moons ago when I moved south…tried 1 nibble and said heck no and never looked at it again, but it has rice in it? I never knew that…huh

(Daisy) #1764

I’ve just had an epiphany as I sit out on my porch in a rainstorm. The longer I’m carnivore, the more I want to be out in nature. I’ve spent most of my day out here on the porch.
Before, I would get eaten alive by mosquitoes within minutes of being outside, so it simply wasn’t enjoyable to me. But now? I could just pitch a tent and live out here. It’s so peaceful and beautiful!

I love your post KD!!

I find I need to move. I feel it deep down in my bones ya know…truly a primal instinct to move the body, to explore my surroundings. I am outside nature person to the max, being a farmer and all LOL
Glad you are feeling great and loving carnivore!!

Go get a tent and pitch it :slight_smile: :sunny: Why not :wink: