Another Carnivore Thread

(Edith) #1665

I would imagine it’s from standing for so long. I second @Fangs and try to elevate your feet.

RV trip. wee. heading out for just a short trip over the weekend, taking kid to the zoo. Nice thing is I have a full kitchen in our toyhauler. Have a lot of meat coming with me :slight_smile: I love control of my own food, but will have to navigate a restaurant or 2 while out. family will insist on eating out at least one time LOL ugh. Packing chicken, burgers, steak, bacon/sausage and some salami and cheese. That will hold me for a few days :slight_smile:

Hit the scale and dropped another lb. Whoop. Slow but absolutely forever sure the scale goes down little by little on its own time with me eating as much as I want. I am watching my ‘added butter’ kinda, a little, instead of ‘this much butter’ to fry a steak…I cut it back to ‘that much butter’ instead HAHA I know it is a bit less so I guess that is helping and I do notice I am not needing as much fat as I used to eat. My fat eating pattern is changing a bit too. Which is cool, I eat what the body asks.

Hope everyone is doing well. Zero Carb rules!

(Scott) #1667

Scale moving for me too, another pound today. UhOh the weekend is coming but I am staying in town so lets see if I can “limit” my beer.

We visit my SO’s Mom again as we do our monthly shopping. I plan to get pork, my SO wants fish. The cats surely want some wet cat food but it’s their problem, it’s spring and vole and mice are everywhere (not like they didn’t catch many in winter, they are great hunters, at least the girls. yesterday one of them catched a bird). It’s not like we invited or brought them except the calico one, he was meowing on a tree since more than 24 hours so my SO brought it home in winter, it was a tiny, pretty one. All the others are brown tawny cats with very unique personalities…

Things change. I eat close to zero added fat now, still unsure about my fat:protein ratio (not like I can track it but I can control it to some extent), I guess it’s best to avoid both Scylla and Charybdis and eat whatever I want, it will have much protein, much fat but not definitely too much of either. But I hold back my smoked pork and yolk consumption, they raised my fat intake very seriously. It was a useful experiment as I always thought I need much protein to get satiated. No, fat works too (with adequate protein, of course) as long as it’s in my protein sources. Added fat is a bit like carbs, it just adds calories without any satiating effect. Maybe carbs don’t even make me much hungrier, it’s just the combined “zero satiation” effect on carbs and added fat and the usual hunger inducing effect on eating a not big meal (but I can eat small ones on carnivore, big ones are often impossible then).
Whatever, it’s not that important for me now.
But I noticed that when I had my carbier days with my very fatty meat (it’s super recent, I always considered a waste to do it but now I eat meat every day, no matter what), I definitely had zero problem with satiation. I suspect even more than before that fatty meat is more effective than eggs…

(Scott) #1669

I find the opposite to be true. For me fat is vary satiating. Last night I had a triple “B” burger which I think stands for Bacon, Beef and Buffalo for dinner. I was a little concerned that I may want some added fat so I added mayo and some pats of butter for good measure.

Yeah, I heard it from zillion people that added fat satiates them. Not me. Added fat (including cream and other low-protein fat source) is always a great way to get zillion calories on my most satiating diet. Maybe it will come handy one day… Carbs are very satiating for many people too, we are amazingly different… Some people find eggs not satiating (it’s rare and very odd to me) and once I heard about someone who only got satiated when they ate lots of fruits (very unfortunately behaviour that doesn’t make any sense to me but I have my own odd things too).

Sadly, many people imagine everyone is like them. And they write articles and give diet advices which are simply horrible for me, for example… I understand the lack of knowledge but just look at other people’s experiences, things aren’t the same for everyone, VERY far from it… We can be surprisingly different and need to use opposite approaches sometimes. I am used to the fact I simply need to go against almost all diet advices. I never followed the usual keto ones either but I don’t need to do the opposite of all those, at least. I am incompatible with fasting advices too and that’s pretty simple considering it’s not eating…

In terms of supplements. Another time to consider them necessary is when going carnivore and experiencing oxalate dumping. The oxalates binds up all the free positive cations, like magnesium, that will send a person deficient rapidly.

OK Scott…let’s see if I can limit my beer…LOL…you be a good carnivore HA Congrats on another lb. down…nice when we can eat so well and the lb. does give up the lbs. when it wants :slight_smile:

sorry Shinita I didn’t mean to direct this right at your post with a tag but it clicked as that and heck I can’t remove it LOL but I had general feelings about added fat.

Added fat is a bit like carbs, it just adds calories without any satiating effect.
This one is on the fence for most people. There is a time your body does require more protein then fat and a time when your body wants more fat than protein actually. I find thru my journey my body tells me which way to follow. Fat is very good for me for hunger control. But if one is eating only protein and fat and no other items, like veg etc…then your body in truth will steer you which way you need to eat. When one eats veg and fake sweeteners and whatever else on a plan, the protein/fat signals won’t ever be the same for what a zero carb person experiences. But everyone will vary on fat intake for sure. And remember, HWC and dairy fat etc. ain’t the same as beef fat in your meats you eat so that is another thing to remember, all fat is not created equal :slight_smile: But yea all of us do need to ‘know ourselves’ and what we require and bob and weave thru it all to make our plans we eat work for us and not against us :slight_smile:

HI EVERYONE
So got here late last night and nice campground. Hubby says I want BBQ and we searched out a great smokehouse. Wow. I ate well but cautious :slight_smile: ribs with no sauce, YUM, brisket but in some tomatoe based something so I nibbled on that and it was iffy on taste, and then I had plain pulled pork which was so juicy and good, then I got fried shrimp, yes you read that right…and took all the breading off and ate those and fried chicken…and I took off the breading and tasted…EW the meat had that ‘fried chicken’ oil taste. No way, didn’t eat that LOL

on plan and doing fine :slight_smile: Before heading out to the zoo and gardens I got a ribeye to cook here at the rv. Cause I know that zoo isn’t gonna have anything I want to eat. Family will nibble pizza or junk but I will be stranded, so I am eating well before going and be prepared as usual.

I experimented a bit with fat vs protein after I had a way and could handle more fat… It doesn’t seem to matter if I eat more protein or way more fat as long as I eat very little added fat (and dairy fat from low-protein sources). 60g protein worked, 160g protein worked (for a short while, I don’t normally eat either way for long, I am usually in-between, far from both), I felt fine and I didn’t eat too little or too much… Now I won’t care for a while, I just eat whatever I want and whatever amount of fat my meat have. On Friday I went for egg whites for some reason (mostly because I had some leftover), it happens. No one ever should be worried about my fat intake, it can take care about itself especially since I am in a close relationship with smoked pork. But now I bought some fresh one (leg, the fattiest looking package), sadly, I don’t know where it’s from, the hypermarket says it’s some local family farm but I am not a trusting person if it’s about my meat. Maybe it’s really kind of okay, it’s enough for me when I am desperate for some not smoked pork. I still need some good source. Even if I would trust this, it’s a hypermarket I visit very rarely and there is so much plastic with 4 small slices… Very bad meat/plastic ratio and I strongly dislike that and prefer farms I can visit. But they just don’t sell fresh pork and that’s my big favorite :cry: It’s good I have variety. My spirits are very high now that I bought every kind of dairy I am willing to eat and pork too.
We didn’t buy fish in the end but we will have beef stew and fried pork tomorrow! The stew won’t be really big but will be made on open fire and it will last for some days. So my next week will be fine. Probably with quineafowl in the weekend. I realized I based my diet too heavily on eggs lately (I had my reasons but actually didn’t even notice, it’s still so normal not to eat meat for my main dish or only a little. the irresistable smoked pork is more like snack to me and it’s never very much though not very little either) while not liking them (eggs) very much during the same time and it’s not good with my personality or whatever makes me go off when I have slight problems with my diet. But I can do better, I’m at a sensitive part of my learning curve or something like this, it will get better with a tiny effort.

We ate the pork leg slices (4 tiny, slin slices, below a pound in total) for an early lunch. With lots of other stuff as this amount wasn’t enough even for a proper course in our multi-course lunch. It was even less I thought but it seems pork leg is super lean. To me, at least, I am pretty much used to ~80% fat pork now, calorie wise. It wasn’t bad but wasn’t amazing either, probably because I don’t like lean meat. It’s hard to compare this food with some overly fatty, spicy wonderfulness I ate as a kid. But I guess it was good meat. Just super lean, I felt the need to add all my leftover unrendered pork fat I had and I ate some sour cream we just bought (my favorite, I can buy it only in bigger places, not in the nearby villages. they have good stuff too but not this perfectness, at least taste and texture wise). It was just a keto day anyway, I will be way stricter next week. Fortunately I won’t have this lean stuff then.
Our beef stew is tiny too but at least enough for 2 modestly meaty meals for two (2.6 pounds of beef, some lard, an onion, spice, mostly red pepper, of course) and it was our best idea to do with our last box of beef. Next time we will make a way bigger one.

My SO and me talked about curry. We are totally lost, maybe I will look at recipes. We never made curry with meat except last time and it wasn’t particularly good. Maybe it’s not a good idea for us. Stew is the only thoroughly cooked meat dish we know that is good even using beef and almost no vegetables (just onion, my spice. and other spices).
I forgot the write before that I used the “baked and then fried” technique for our pork steaks. If that is called steaks, no idea what is the proper definition. I put the meat into the oven for a little while using the lowest temperature it has and I fried it afterwards. The little piece I fried without this, became too chewy. So the result is the same as last time, it’s good to make the meat more tender first if we want to fry it and it’s not a soft meat to begin with. No surprise here. But it was thin meat, I am curious about using a proper, thick one. And fattier, too.

So I posted in the other thread, I ate fast food burgers and some breakfast stuff like sausage/egg/cheese biscuit, no biscuit obvy, but it ruined my guts.

and my beer I had…heehee…oh yea the instant bloat and ick.

that pushed my limits on this trip. If I ate more crap I would be in hospital I think. Cause my body feels the beer and icky fast food for sure. My body is saying, what the hell is this? It ain’t fresh meat, that’s for sure HAHA

so ribeye and water for 2 days, I live on this so it makes me happy to cook well for me. Get the ick out of my guts and soldier on in fine form on zero carb.

I have to say hubby got sick eating the cornbread, the creamed corn, the hush puppies, the baked beans and more he had with his meals. He came home from the BBQ joint where I had good meat and he sucked it all done, plus chocolate pudding for dessert. He couldn’t move when we got back to the rv, he hit the couch and died out…me, harnessed up the dog and took a nice long walk…….and that is what life is all about. You move and enjoy or you eat yourself into an icky carb coma of disgust. I choose to move LOL

just chatting along and doing well and hope you guys are fine also!

Some folks would say you haven’t a flexible enough metabolism :smiley:
I like that my body tells me I ate wrong. It helps me staying on track too where I function the best. I am a lazy, uncontrolled hedonist, I need some motivation :smiley: It’s too subtle anyway, I never tried hard to resist temptation… That’s not my thing. I need to realize what is good for me and get tempted by that. I imagine a few more months will be enough for me to get pleased with the result.

I went off at my relative, it could be worse but there wasn’t some need or gain, oh well. Experiment. It seems that eating meat and fat (it was chicken liver in lots of fat, nice! and some horse-pig sausages my SO couldn’t resist to buy despite it was in a shop. tasty, spicy, I liked that too. I am unsure if I wrote about them last time) balances out things enough to avoid “serious” problems (like any pain, I like to feel more or less right and pain is just unacceptable. or massive overeating or getting hungry soon). It doesn’t mean I ever should do what I did, my body definitely wasn’t fully happy with me and anyway, there was no good reason for it.

Sometimes I wonder about HCLF. I saw so many times that when we eat much carbs, we should eat little fat at least. Maybe it’s true for many people… It’s totally against my own instincts and experiences (and my possibilities). Whatever. It’s not like high-carb is realistic for me, much fat or not, that ship sailed ages ago, fortunately. Even in dire emergency, I would valiantly fight for moderate carb or less. I could handle moderate-carb high-fat just fine longer term in an emergency, I am sure. But only then. My body “understands” determination and emergency and behaves differently. Why to be hungry when there is no food? It is a hedonist just like me, cool. I wasn’t particularly hungry or cold when I starved in a cold room for a little while (I am a spoiled one, 11 days is a long time for me. in 46F)… But my body complains about the tiniest things when I have the power to change them. So I am not good with extended fasts unless I am determined or simply have no way to get food.

I put it to clean eating, clean body, my body is reset back to a natural form.

I put it to the likes of this…give a small toddler a full shot of whiskey. That kid will be probably poisoned almost to the point of needing a hospital maybe.

My body is the same. I have eaten so clean for so long that anything I add back the body will accept or revolt. Most of the crap is revolting for sure on our bodies.

I love living by my body. Many don’t wanna go there but I do. I like to know if I eat processed cheap ass burgers from a fast food joint my body says, inferior crap. Yea cause it friggin’ is crap LOL

First time in a long time I feel most natural. I won’t give this up for anything :slight_smile: I love zero carb. It puts the truth out there on our food intake and how it effects us. Good meat and seafood in your thrive, cheap meat and processed crap you function but with feeling off and icky and go into carb coma and sugar time, you bloat, icky, tired, sluggy, joint aches, leading to tons of medical things like diabetes, and hosts of other crap rears its head as people take tons of meds and OTC drugs to combat what food is doing to them.

nah I will stay zero carb and love life :slight_smile: I’ve dropped it all. Drop kcal crap, drop macros crap, metabolism/smatablism useless info, dropped IF crap, dropped all info of high fat, high this, low that and whatever plan is out there saying do this crap and that crap, screw supps that are useless and more. All out of my life and I couldn’t be happier :slight_smile: It’s all crap if ya ask me. Eat meat and seafood and thrive. I don’t give it one other thought LOL and remember this is my personal view on it all, I don’t care what others do but I know what is best for me and the easiest way in life to just eat, thrive and enjoy without all the baggage of it all still while knocking off the best results and benefits I could ask for :slight_smile:

(You always write about seafood and I am here without any… :cry: Maybe one day… Good seafood is very expensive here to me. I am choosy too but it would be nice now and then, I imagine… I have some canned fish but that’s for emergencies and they aren’t very exciting anyway.)

I can relate so much :smiley: I’ve wrote it here already, it’s a RELIEF not to struggle (in vain, at that) because things works automatically. I have my own little struggles due to my still not okay supplies but I would have slightly harder times in the beginning anyway, I am not used to this yet. But it’s nothing compared to the previous struggles and I actually felt my old keto easy enough too… Whenever I change my diet, I see my old one from a very different viewpoint and I am glad I am where I am. I don’t think I ever made a bad diet change (except when I was a baby and started to eat like other people. and there was a year when I couldn’t stand eggs, how did I survive that? I was a vegetarian at that time. Fine, I ate everything else in big amounts but still). I strayed away from my new, better diet sometimes but the trend was nice.

I still valiantly try to track though :slight_smile: I am curious and my numbers become more and more vague, it happens when one eat more and more fatty meat with unknown macros :smiley: But it’s fine, it’s enough information if I see that I eat like this every day and that happens. If I really start eating similarly every day, I will drop tracking. I did that when I lost fat and reached my current weight. I find my new, better diet and automatically ate less. I only tracked for a very little while in the beginning to see what my numbers do. It was informative. I got some amusement and information from tracking later as well. That’s how I learned what I should and shouldn’t eat when losing fat. Not like it helped until I lowered my carbs quite seriously but I learned a lot about my satiation. Without numbers I can’t draw so many conclusions, it helps to fix some factors and have less variables. We are different types, using different methods to get information and fun. Even though tracking is pretty annoying under some circumstances. It’s super easy now.
Things should calm down now and then I can drop even more baggage. It will be nice.

The “beef” farm decided to sell pork, it seems… Last time they said people weren’t interested.
They are now. It run out very quickly. I didn’t notice it due to reading only about the coronavirus (and stars. my favs are supernovas and the bright stars I can see with my own eyes. it’s many now that there is no light reflecting Moon in the evening) last night. Oh well, they surely will have some meat again, hopefully even pork, it sells well now, after all. I need to make place for it. Next time we visit the city, we will bring back the little freezer. If it can happen soon enough. Maybe we can’t go there soon, who knows? I don’t know what it takes to keep people out of cities they don’t live in… Wouldn’t it be too serious if we have our only close relative there? Oh I do it again. Stupid virus. I want to get my half-life back…

But I felt super full (but not comfortably, super means positive things only) all day, I am pleased. I get back to my nice, well satiated and calm state super quickly lately.

And I made ground pork rinds the first time (of course I fried the stuff myself before)! I will use them later, probably tomorrow.

Hope you all are well. I’ve been quiet as of late but I pop in to read a bit here and there. Kids are out of school, things are shutting down and people are freaking out.

Anyway, I’m not here to talk about that. A while back I quit drinking caffeinated coffee, but, still being a person who likes a good strong cup of black coffee I went to decaf. A few days ago I decided to start letting myself have regular again, just not much.

My sleep has still been amazing on carnivore, even when I had caffeine that day. I think sleeping grounded makes it even better.

Here’s where this gets weird. On the weekends I often now go without any deodorant as I wasn’t needing it. Really, I could work out or run and still not get stinky.
Yesterday I was playing outside with the kids and noticed I had pit-funk. The only thing that’s changed is having had caffeine.
Anyway, I plan to have just decaf in the morning and see if that’s really the cause or if something else is going on.
Yay, another N=1 experiment! “Does caffeine make me stink?”

(Full Metal KETO AF) #1682

@barefootbob Or maybe caffeine makes you sweat more? It’s the moist environment that the stinky bacteria need to multiply in that causes body odor. No sweat, no body odor. Good to hear from you Bob. :cowboy_hat_face:

Hey David!
I would hope it was just the sweat but odd that I can run or lift and not stink but get stinky not doing much of anything if I’ve had caffeine.

Luckily, red wine does not have this effect. :laughing:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #1684

Party on Garth! :joy::joy::joy::cowboy_hat_face:

HI Bob…glad you are doing well. Interesting that the decaf no funk but on regular old caffeine coffee ya got some funk. Huh. Will be interesting for you to do a little experiment on ya and see if that is a deciding factor. Could be caffeine part cause caffeine is a skin absorbing toxin to the body, you know being a ‘toxic substance’ the body doesn’t want, it will detox caffeine thru the skin etc. So maybe that is it? just a guess on it but it seems solid kinda when we think how we detox crap out of our body. the body wants to detox caffeine and get rid of it so sweat would be a big factor in that happening. just my theory on it all :slight_smile: