Another Carnivore Thread

None that I’m aware of but I honestly haven’t looked into it. If I come across anything I’ll let you know. Some carnivores eat mushrooms.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #1626

PDF

(Kristen Ann) #1627

This is awesome. Thank you.

(Kristen Ann) #1628

Carnivores that eat mushrooms…? Like as in that’s the only non-carnivore they eat?

carnivores should not be eating mushrooms. fact if they want to follow plan.

second is people eat whatever they want :slight_smile: and choose what they want to include and not include but if you are sucking down mushrooms on a fairly common basis you are keto plan or low carb plan.

carnivores eat animal kingdom products only. no plants ever.
(but what they eat in private is their own business LOL but the plan is the plan LOL)

NOW ALSO not to be confused ever with…a newbie into this plan trying to change themselves and drop that offending veg from their life but they need time to adjust. Many NEW carnivores have to adjust and do the best they can eating some veg as they drop it to change their mindset on why they are going all in no plant matter foods in their lives so there is that diff. in our journey)

Oh. I always fried my onions very very well and brown but never knew it is called caramelized. It’s just fried onions to me. Not brown or boiled ones are similarly sweet… Onion powder is sweetish too as most spices…
I just hope I never will get bothered with spice due to them being sweet :smiley: Not like I would horribly miss them but still, they are nice now and then.
Maybe I wrote here before that I kind of collect spices, I have a lot. I just very rarely use most of them. If at all. I won’t buy them anymore, only the most important ones but what will I do with them…?
I keep red and black pepper, curry (for my SO’s split peas. I stopped eating curry as I can’t imagine them without lots of vegetables. we never even put meat into them before. only lately, big thin slices - I would go with smaller cubes but my SO cooks curry and he preferred slices. it was useful as I simply took out some slices and ignored the vegetables. mostly green beans, almost totally tasteless, never was into them except as a kid when I liked almost everything vegetable. except most green leaves, of course, those were too close to grass to me), mustard… But I prefer food that is super tasty simply with (or even without) salt. Eggs are like that. I need salt for my meat.
Spices are a must for certain plant-based foods but only if the used ingredients aren’t tasty and especially if they tastes a bit bad (like gluten). Whoever says meat is tasty only because it has spices (I’ve read that quite a few times) has never ate good meat in their life. Or they have odd tastebuds, it’s possible. Mine aren’t normal either, I feel most edible things super tasty but certain things (most meat in the shops, tomatoes in the shops, not wild white champignon) almost completely tasteless. And a tasteless (or mildly bad tasting) stuff hardly becomes tasty just because we add spices. Gluten is the only exception I am aware. Maybe because a ton of spice suits it in some forms. Keto bread with gluten is never tasty to me, I can’t add spices then. Or can I? We will see, I realized I love baking and won’t stop. I have an SO who eats most of my creations so it’s fine to experiment with various things sometimes.

Well, day 1 for me, again.
I can say I had some experiments last week. My metabolic flexibility, the responses of my body and my behavior when I use firmly zero self control is pretty great. Well the weekend was too easy, I had pork so why would I choose much carbs? But I don’t desire them anyway. A few little months did more than 9 years on low-carb and I didn’t even do extreme low-carb in a big part of this time. But I usually had the same attitude towards vegetables even on my carbiest days. I still think fondly of them, we had so nice times together, they looks colorful and most of them are very tasty but we aren’t really compatible and happier separated (tiny amounts are exceptions as always. I keep that for now. its significance drops alarmingly. 1-2 months ago I thought I totally need fried onions for many of my meaty dishes. I still use a little spice that contains onions in some dishes but fried normal ones? I don’t need them anymore, it seems. They are only in stews but it’s not I who make them so I can be happy they aren’t full with potatoes or something.)

I would think mushrooms are out as carnivores eat animals. Not “things not plants”. As far as I know. Vegans eat not animals, not “only plants” so mushrooms are fine for them.
But of course, many carnivores eat plants, spices, condiments… It’s not carnivore food but they eat a little bit because it’s worth it for them. Just like some vegans eat honey (not just any honey but if the queens aren’t killed, that’s good enough for some).
And we don’t necessarily need to worry about labels - but they are useful for communication. In theory. If someone says they are vegetarian, vegan, keto, paleo, carnivore, another person can’t possibly know what exactly they mean. There are too many styles. But by definition, carnivore means animals and vegan/plant-based means no animal products. Vegetarian is a tad more complicated but it has a simple definition too. People still can’t comprehend it sometimes, not even the “no meat” part and I would think it’s super simple. But it’s not our topic, sorry.
Mushrooms are clearly not carnivore to me.

Not starting an argument just expanding a bit.

Well, technically mushrooms are not plants and are closer to the animal kingdom if I’m not mistaken. I don’t eat them but that’s just because I don’t want to.
I would certainly eat them before I would eat broccoli. :nauseated_face:

Yep, they have chitin (or most of it, I am not as knowledgeable I want to and I learn new things about the still wonderfully many species of this planet nearly every day. okay, I could look up chitin…). We just look at them and use them as vegetables. So many people think they are plants… They aren’t but I can understand we feel them closer to plants. Even though they can’t photosynthesize and have chitin.

I would eat mushrooms before broccoli but I dislike broccoli and give the cold shoulder to vegetables, I would eat fruits or gluten (under certain circumstances) before broccoli. My body handles all anyway.
I am so glad my Mom almost never tried to fed me broccoli or spinach as a kid (I remember ONE occasion but I told her I dislike it and that was it)… My childhood would have been way less happy.
Sometimes I think about kids who have it way, way worse than I did.

sorry but it is classified as a plant for any of its nutritional values and it doesn’t have parents with eyeballs and communication or craps feces or has movement like an animal kingdom species or thought in the brain. nope won’t be and never will be animal kingdom. People are so desperate to find ‘veg’ that is alive and can be consumed ‘under an all meat eating plan’ but in that end it will never happen. I don’t even like these thoughts cause it just makes a keto/carnivore pretend they ARE doing carnivore when they are not. Eat a plant and be keto or eat all meat/seafood and be zero carb. It really is SO simple truly yet so many take it into fairy land it is crazy :slight_smile:

It’s not about having brain or eyeballs or even being mobile… It’s being an animal, according to the scientists who knows better than us sometimes :smiley: There are completely immobile animals in the sea, no eyes, nothing even vaguely brain like…

Mushrooms aren’t plants. And aren’t animals. Carnivores have one kingdom, animals, as far as I know. No plants, no mushrooms.

Of course people complicate things. They are people. There are even more simple things then what is carnivore. FASTING. Real, true fasting. When we don’t eat. People find fasting tempting and trendy and they totally want to do it! But they want to drink flavorful very sweet drinks, eating this and that… I think there is even some product that is food for fasters while fasting. People are searching for loopholes. It’s insulin? ANY amount of fat is okay then, right? And well, coffee is fine so we surely can put things on it. Anything we usually do. And why not more… But we still don’t chew something…
I saw such people. When I fast, I don’t eat, period. If I MUST eat, I eat and don’t fast, dammit.

(Scott) #1635

I ran into the whole mushroom thing on Sunday. I was picking up some Steaks to grill and my wife said “I have some mushrooms that are going to go bad, will you eat some of them with your steak?” I replied “are mushrooms an animal?”. She has been trying to get me to eat a little plant material much the same as someone trying to say “a little bit of bread won’t hurt” on a keto plan.
So far the only exceptions to “animal products” for me have been coffee, beer, wine and scotch.

I’m just poking the bear here, @Fangs . :grin:

I drink coffee (decaf but leave the option of occasionally having regular) and enjoy wine when I like.
I’m still of the opinion that most people would likely be better off on meat heavy keto. If for no other reason than it’s easier to stick to.

Actually, a little bread doesn’t hurt me on keto… Why I would want to eat 10g bread, that’s a good question but I could.
But when others say “a little … can’t hurt”, that must be annoying. I don’t have anyone to say such BS to me, fortunately.

So carnivores get this too. When I was a vegetarian and it was made known because it was relevant, I was asked if I eat chicken. Is chicken from the animal kingdom or from some else? Hard question for an allegedly NOT brain damaged or drunk or ill specimen of homo sapiens… At least mushrooms are special, not animal but not plants either… :smiley:

To talk about something nicer, I made the perfect pork rinds today! The previous ones were too hard but with some more fat left on them (and sometimes meat too where that was close), they became very good, crunchy but not too hard! I ate up the whole bunch, it wasn’t very much anyway, 110g before frying, 36g afterwards. It took not very much time. I am relieved. The pork hocks have plenty of skin and I didn’t want to give it to the cats if I can enjoy them myself. My SO obviously wouldn’t touch it. He eats even old, watery rice or millet (yuck) or very dense and dry bread but pork skin or lard, oh no, not that. He actually will eat lard one day, he told me, but ONLY after a very long hiking, with bread and purple onion slices. Because that’s not a pleb thing then, it’s a hiker thing. I am so glad I am a hedonist and couldn’t care less what is pleb for whom so I don’t need such mental gymnastics to eat lard :smiley: But I surely have my own crazy things, I shouldn’t judge and I think I don’t do it, I just find it odd from my own viewpoint.

(Scott) #1638

Yeah, we are all grown ups and can make any way of eating whatever we want. Me, I am kind of hard core so at the Mexican restaurant when they bring out the tortilla chips and dip I just ignore them and don’t touch them. My wife can’t resist and enjoys them even though she is mostly keto. Her weight is under control so it works for her. So back to the shrooms I made the call that it isn’t what I call animal so I passed on them. It takes too much of my limited brain to determine where a fungus lands in my new carnivore world.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #1639

A fungus (plural: fungi [3] or funguses [4]) is any member of the group of eukaryotic organisms that includes microorganisms such as yeasts and molds, as well as the more familiar mushrooms. These organisms are classified as a kingdom, fungi, which is separate from the other eukaryotic life kingdoms of plants and animals. [REF]

(Scott) #1640

Bartender looks as a mushroom hops on a bar stool. He gives the mushroom a stern warning “we don’t serve your kind here” Mushroom asks “why not, I am a fungi”

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #1641

@Rclause Be prepared, some won’t get it. A perfectly valid pronounciation rhymes with bungee. :nerd_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #1642

Yeah, well those guys are no fun! :joy::joy::joy:

(Scott) #1643

Its the best I could do…but seriously I’ll be here all week.

I don’t know if I ever will do meat heavy keto. I think it’s possible (for a short time), it’s just unpractical for me now, for various reasons. I am still learning how much meat to buy, how to box them, how much space my tiny freezer has… I think we will accept that small (but for me, huge) freezer even if it uses much electricity so we will use it only occasionally. It still would be very helpful when it’s mutton time on the farm and I want a lot! And two big roosters. We will need less fuel and other costs for the car too, buying in bigger amounts. But that’s only one little thing, it’s comfortable to buy more, we never can know what meat will be next time. There is beef every month but I prefer mutton. And big roosters are way cheaper and less work than small ones. I imagine they are quite edible as well.
I will try canning meat one day…

I balance things now, meat for variety and certain nutrients, eggs for simplicity and convenience… Both are good as long I don’t overdo them. Neither would work almost alone.

I think I should be scarce again (but then my Net was off and now I write again). Why have I this much thoughts about this topic, I don’t know. I always have this with food, not only after a big change. But meat is still very new to me. I couldn’t even try beef liver yet! Or fresh pork. Or lamb (the farm sells them for Easter but they are expensive and I am so much in love with mutton that I don’t need anything better for a while. is lamb better? maybe it’s like veal and beef, some people prefer mature flavors). Or ostrich. My SO wants the meat, I have a not too important little dream to eat an egg (not alone, that would be much even for me at once).

@Rclause: I liked the joke :smiley: It took an extra second but I got it. I am bad with English pronunciation but not native English words are tricky anyway. And of course most people doesn’t eat wheat bread on keto (or any kind). I have a very strong IIFYM attitude (and a small personal blacklist. if we consider almost everything in shops one item due to more than one ingredients - exceptions are rare) but still, bread or beans are a big stretch… Tricky even on low-carb. Banana? Any time I want but bread… :smiley: I find it strange some people eat it but it’s their prerogative, of course. Obviously my whatever-I-have-now is stricter, plants don’t have much chance. And my banana eating keto days are in the distant past anyway. It’s great in ice cream, though. But rum and heavy cream is even better in it (and that isn’t carnivore either but okay for me). Maybe I make eggnog ice cream again, I had a weak moment (coffee and lack of proper meat…) and opened a new bag of HWC. I make sure to use only a tiny bit, my SO happily poured it into his grains (millet this time, it’s new, it’s usually rice) but if we eat it too slowly, I transform it into eggnog ice cream so I can freeze it. A few years ago I froze almost nothing. I had some vegetables and fruits in the freezer, maybe egg whites, nothing else. Now I freeze many things, it’s useful, I am not forced to use up things right away, I can make double portions of my SO’s breakfast foods… My freezer space is tiny but I am good with packing. And we will have a bigger standalone freezer soon. That will be useful in the most intense fruit seasons too, my fruits arrive in nerve-wrecking speed sometimes. But most of the space and all space most of the time will be for meat, of course. Half of a racka sheep and lots of other meat won’t be a problem.