Another Carnivore Thread

I wish I could do that. I know there are others who can do that too, but I’d be in the bathroom before that salt dissolved in my mouth, ugh. I’m seeing my bowels get healthier so maybe at some point I’ll be able to put salt into water or into my mouth with no issues.

and that is where the healing is heading you…into that better internal health. you will get there, you are working this all so well for your healing process I can’t see nothing but good overall well being healing for you to come!

(Scott) #1607

I salt pretty heavy and also keep a red salt grinder at my desk and pop a dash in my mouth every morning.

(Scott) #1608

I was eating some veggies and was assuming about 25g carb but now that I stopped think it possible I was getting more when I add nuts in too. Biggest carb source is now is wine, I need to work on that. I did stop drinking scotch and beer so I too may be changing too much at the same time to know what did what. After going from a months long stall at 183 lbs the holidays had me stuck at 190 lbs since. Lost a pound from yeasterday and just got below 188. Weekend out of town coming so we’ll see how it goes.

yea any alcohol is a bad one on any diet you do cause with the burn of sugar etc. it will attack that poison first in the body and then ‘work on healing and fixing’ internal hormones and more after. so yea alcohol will slow one down for sure but hey I get it, we all want some at some point if we want it :slight_smile:

I was a drinker/party gal point blank. Lost my want for it at all mostly but every now and then I try to add it back in for an event or whatever and each time it nails me to the wall fast on very little alcohol I might do…so longer on plan, alcohol use changes big time for a ton of us definitely

I didn’t even know cramps aren’t some extremely rare things before I went keto… In my ~40 years before keto, I had cramps once when I learned to swim in cold water.

I dislike oversalted food but I still can’t take it out from my smoked pork and it’s too good :smiley: I don’t oversalt anything if I have a choice.
I know I can eat a tablespoon of salt at once, I just don’t want to do it again as I don’t have the stomach capacity for the inevitably arriving ~3 liter water. Eating a pinch or two from my pink Himalayan salt (and obviously drinking a lot of water after but it’s nothing like gross salty water, I wouldn’t touch that) is pretty nice - when I eat below 5g salt per day, definitely not now. I don’t need it, I just like the taste so I could eat salt if I did a long fast. Not a big chance for that in the near future, eating every day suits me.

It’s unfair. I actually can eat a lot of salt and others need it.

yea see I always have an never had a cramp hardly in my life. I went into extreme low carb and ‘watched’ everything…I used less salt and hit some cramping but never bad. So I then threw magnesium at it as some longer term vets told me to do and didn’t help mostly, but kinda did cause heck I upped salt cause I am a salt addict literally so who knows what fixed it? I don’t LOL

Very cold water is a direct contact muscle reaction. It wouldn’t play into cramps out of no where and for no reason as one gets just sitting or whatever.

I think salt is very personal taste actually but so definitely needed. We all find where we stand on that at some point personally :slight_smile:

(Edith) #1612

If I don’t take my salt for a few days, the calf cramps move to hamstring cramps (I don’t wish those on anyone) to all over body aches. I’ve tried several times to stop supplementing salt. Each time the same pattern happens.

I would like to not have to supplement. Who knows? Maybe it’s a healing thing and over time I won’t need to.

you think of salt as a supplement? see I see it as necessity, monster flavor and probably addiction to my body LOL

hey many carnivores do small salt or none, ,and they do fine but if our internal workings say salt up your food a bit, a small shake here and there and we are better for it, why would we not do that?

Whatever works for you is key. Do for you at all times cause I know one thing, if I read whatever and apply that cause someone else did so great and it didn’t work for me, I think what is wrong but in the end we must must must go thru personal trial and error to suit our personal bodies.

I think being a super salter now is where I meant to be actually and all the time I see others controlling it way more and think why am I not there? hmmm…it might say I must not be there, eat up the salt as I ask and I am still doing just that. Some days a ton, some days a lot less.

Nuts are carby, I know that. When I did low-carb, I ate 150g nuts and other oily seeds per day. I went lower on keto but I still got a significant amount of carbs from them. It’s a bit odd not to have them now but I don’t miss them. As long as I don’t make some food I usually eat with nuts. But I can handle such thoughts even then, I just get reminded of the existence and tastiness of nuts. But now I have meat, it’s a good deal.
Now my main carb source is eggs on my good days.

There are very low-carb wines… Do you drink a lot? Or do you like sweeter ones?
I keep very sugary ones just because I need months to drink a whole bottle and only lots of sugar helps in it. Tasty too, just too sweet but no one forces me to drink 10ml at once. Still, it’s mostly a drink for my rebellious self and it’s nothing like “normal wine” anyway, it’s a special tiny, alcoholic dessert, one drinks it in smaller amounts even if they can handle sugar.
But my fav is a dry red wine. I just can’t drink it all before it spoiled. It’s seems too few people like me exists so there are no smaller wine bottles in the shops :frowning: I am not choosy, any Cabernet Savignon could do, I enjoyed all I tried this far. Oh well, there are my stronger alcohols. But it would be nice to drink 1-2dl Sabernet Savignon once a year or something. I think I will bring a bottle to family birthdays or Christmas (still only 3-4 persons but well, it’s more than 2. too bad one person prefers rose, another - dunno but she always have some white one… it is tough :D)…
I only stopped drinking scotch because I have no money for my favorite and only that would do. It’s not like I really need it so I spend my little money elsewhere. I am quite happy with my favorite vodka too but now we run out of it so maybe we will get that amazing scotch. It will last years anyway… But it’s good to have it.
Now I do something vaguely similar to carnivore again so I don’t drink. My carbier days are way more frequent than my alcoholic days so it seems right.

(Scott) #1615

I am a red wine drinker cabs, merlot, pinot noir and a blend sometimes. Wife and I will easily do a bottle a night. It works out to be about 4.5g per glass. When I first started keto I increased scotch and decreased wine/ beer because scotch has no carbs. In all it was too much so carnivore seemed like a good place to start.

(Scott) #1616

Day five on carnivore. I never thought I would say this but I feel awesome! Scale is moving down slowly but everyday lower. I can’t wait to see how it goes over the weekend with some non carnivore beer added into the mix.

(Not a cow) #1617

Same here as well. I stopped drinking the Keto-aide a few days back, and cramps started happening in a couple of days. Now back into the salt and crampless.

@Moo Yes, it’s really strange why some of us just have to keep up with the salt and others don’t.

(Not a cow) #1619

Love liver, enough to eat it once a week, ;( haha, but it is a nice change from beef. I cook it with butter or ghee, in the frying pan, till pink in the middle about 5 minutes total turning once or twice. Sometimes I will put bacon in with it, but it doesn’t really change the taste. It’s an acquired taste for sure, I eat about 1/4 pound of them Sunday mornings with bacon and eggs for breakfast.

I hated it as a child and probably didn’t enjoy it until I tried it at a restaurant with caramelized onions and likely coated in flour. That’s exactly how my Mom used to make them when I hated them. You will get used to them, if you keep trying them, or not, I don’t think it’s needed, many carnivores don’t bother.

I’ve just run out of my smoked pork but it was such a nice day so I got some more and had a nice ride on my bicycle. In wind, that wasn’t that fun the way back :smiley: But the sun was shining, the temperature was nice, it’s spring, the scenery was fine, I saw an egret…
I tried some sausage too, proper Hungarian ones with lots of red pepper, it was nice, not enough spicy to me but I could eat a lot if I wouldn’t find that unnecessarily expensive. I am pretty happy with my usual stuff but I bought two smaller hocks now, I cut off some parts as I like it raw and my SO happily put the rest with the bones into his bean soup. It got so very soft in the pressure cooker… It’s WAY better than fried. Raw is totally different, they aren’t comparable, I like both version but the soft cooked one is easier to eat and less salty (and it loses flavor too, surely but get vegetable flavor in the soup, not a bad deal. but that is mostly for my SO). Oh nostalgy… Smoked pork hocks in bean soups are popular here, obviously my Mom made it too but very rarely, she usually cooked vegetarian food and chicken on Sunday. A few pork dishes and beef soups happened on holidays.

I never ate caramelized onions, it doesn’t sound good to me, I prefer my savory things not sweet (people love beef with preserved sour cherry here… I only accepted sour apple and quince or unripe pears in very few dishes. curry is pretty generous with fruits but overly sweetness still wasn’t my thing and our curry was sweet enough due to vegetables. that’s why sour or less sweet fruits were more welcomed). Onions are sweet but that’s different, they naturally sweet and not overly much. Or they weren’t before, now I feel them quite sweet and use them in very small amounts. Not like when I was a kid and used a whole big onion for a single egg sometimes :slight_smile: I still think fondly of onions and use them as spice but their importance diminishes more and more. It’s easy to live without them as long as we don’t have stew.

(Edith) #1621

Caramelized onions do tend to taste a bit sweet, but it is not from added sugar. You just slowly cook sliced onions up in fat until they have browned nicely.

Latest t-shirt.

Love it, Bob! That’s awesome!

(Kristen Ann) #1624

For those of you who are carnivore due to antinutrients in plants… is anyone aware of any antinutrients in mushrooms?