Another Carnivore Thread

Taking responsibility is the main thing. For what we use and the potential waste we create. But a lot of waste is actually resources. Even poo. Humans are the only creature on the planet that creates wast. Or if someone eats a standard diet, waist.

The other reason is we have bush fires in summer and storms in winter that shut down the local power grid.

The real challenge of off grid life is getting protein. Fishing and hunting are options. Hunting is not really a social culture in which I circulate. Growing protein is the trophic level up to achieve.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #1486

sniff sniff I think there’s a convert to KETO veganism budding down under getting ready to dine on tasty tasty rainbows :drooling_face::crazy_face::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::wink:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::grin::cowboy_hat_face:

(Andrea) #1487

That sounds so interesting. I have 50 acres of land and I’m saving up to build on it and be as self-sufficient as possible. It’s pretty useless land for growing/keeping animals and it doesn’t help that my job is delivering broadband connectivity, so being off-grid totally will be difficult :wink:

I just want to make as little impact as possible. In fact the older I get, the simpler I want my life to be!!

Impressive… I doubt I would have enough courage and faith in myself to do something like that.
I can’t remember if you’ve mentioned this earlier, is your land large enough for cattle and/or other animals?

I’m allowed one cow, or one horse, or 3 sheep. It’s only 3 acres. Plenty enough for us to grow a forest. There are kangaroos and rabbits already there.

It takes more cowardice than courage. Or neither. It just takes doing. It’s running away from the ‘real’ world that is manufactured for us by business entities. And running toward a reality of more natural foundations.

I can understand that, you really do just have to go for it and you learn as you go.

So you are striving towards full self-sustainability?

That’s a great question. I have sat down with myself a few times over the years. Self sufficiency is probably more accurate. But I stripped the whole life goal concept down and looked at the bits. This off grid house, being a helpful husband, growing food, creating art, sharing abundance, teaching those around me etc, rendered down to two things.

1. I like to wake up in the morning.
  2. if it’s not too much to ask of my self, I’d like to wake up refreshed each morning keen for the creativity of the day.

I think they are high in oxalates.

(Andrea) #1493

I am jealous of your ability to keep animals/grow things. I have 50 acres of peatland. My neighbours sheep migrate to it every year (as that’s where they were born) but there’s only enough grown to keep a couple of dozen sheep for half the year (I live on a remote Scottish island - beautiful, but pretty barren!!).

The original name for part of the land is “Beinn Phris” which roughly translates from Scottish Gaelic to “Hill of the Thicket” so I reckon we should grow trees there. :wink:

Peat is marvellous stuff. What a great resource. I imagine all the distilleries would be licking their lips at the thought of it in the secret whiskey making. Does it grow moss on it?

(Andrea) #1495

Wow that’s really interesting re. moss. The only thing that grows well here is willow, which is also good for animals for antiseptic/pain relief.

Just woofed down a 1 lb. ribeye steak.

Darn good!

What’s for dinner tonight…its’ brother. Darn right, another 1 lb. ribeye steak for me. Can’t wait actually LOL

Noticed I am flipping around a lot more, which is ok, but chicken is not great for me in that I don’t feel ever truly stuffed good on chicken so I am cutting chicken a bit and focusing on beef again.

I am quite happy about just that :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Every now and then I wander a bit, can of tuna, chicken, sardines, beef sticks…heading a bit into that, ‘what I call junkier carnivore’ foods and I am waking up a bit and going beef heavy again.

I function best on beef beef and more beef ! Defrosting 2 lbs. of burger for tomorrow now. What’s for food tomorrow? BEEF…heehee!!

How ya’ll eating out there in zero carb land? Everyone eating great and enjoying their meat and seafood! Hope so! What is on the menu, like lamb, beef, pork or more? What is everyone craving as their go to meat?

eh just chatting zero carb and seeing how the carnivores are doing. I love talking meat :slight_smile:

SO I got outside to my garage freezer to get my burger for defrost and I see my beautiful resident Red-tailed Hawk that lives behind my horse barn. He is always on the property…he? no clue LOL But he sits on my fence posts, sometimes lands in the field near the goat (is he eyeing up that big old goat for dinner?) I think not but funny!!

Anyway he was out on a tree making noise and stretching his wings on a very high perch behind the barn.

My instant thought, ahhh, there he is my great friend, and then I thought…do people eat hawks? Could I cook him?

omg I said what the heck is wrong with you girl! LOL Believe me I think of anything moving if I can eat it and who has and what it tastes like HAHA

well I won’t be eating him but I sure thought about it.

Us carnivores are toughies :slight_smile: everything better watch out! Too funny my thoughts honestly. I wonder about me sometimes being a zero carber, everything alive is fair game I think :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

This is funny, since going carnivore again I have found that I actually don’t like chicken anymore. Which is really funny because growing up southern we lived on chicken. I’ll eat eggs but last time I tried chicken my body was like “what’s this :poop:?” bleh. :laughing:

I’ll eat it if I have to but I hope it doesn’t come to that.

(Ashley) #1499

Funny you say that, I just got pulled chicken from a bbq place as something to tide me over until after work and it’s the driest most unappealing bit of chicken I have ever had. Bleh

yea I was a wing maniac, then a chicken thigh lover and dropped both, couldn’t touch them now. I still each skinless/boneless chicken breast but I find I can’t do it as ‘real food’ anymore, it is falling by the wayside and will have to become a ‘side dish’ to beef if I want it.

it just isn’t a dense, complete fatty good food like beef. no fowl really is that great.

I hear ya Bob!

I think your concept sounds great…achievable results, happy wife-happy life, a creative outlet and radiant positive energy from all the joy your new surroundings will bring.
I’m a grumpy city slicker that is trying to keep life as simple as possible, so I admire your courage, there is nothing cowardly to it… :slight_smile:

I have to agree that the chickens of the world are safer with carnivores roaming about. I have the same observation, I prefer land based ruminant meat (beef or lamb) over and above monogastric meat (poultry, pork, horse,kangaroo, dog, or fish). I’ll eat some marine protein with my steak or eggs, but it is an added ingredient. And lets face it, shrimp are closer to insects than they are to fish.

@Fangs… The only chicken I seem to truly enjoy now would be the thighs and maybe legs. Cannot eat a chicken breast anymore…its dry and bleh. The skin-on, bone-in thighs are my go-to. I salt them, and sear in the iron skillet, flip, and then toss the whole pan into a hot oven… A while later, when they come out, that chicken skin has morphed into the most delicious crisp ever!

Oh I hear you on that. When I devoured wings and thighs back in the beginning of this journey I was in love also :slight_smile: and I thrived on eating a ton of them! I would drip the chicken fat over my chicken and sop it up. I would scrap the baking dish for all the dark goodness. My baking dish was clean when I got done with it LOL

but I hit that point of dropping wings and thighs. I couldn’t eat another. Now ya can’t me to eat one but I wish I could still and wished they did my body better cause heck the price per lb. is nothing compared to that darn price on good beef :frowning:

Enjoy the heck out of your chicken!! Not a darn thing wrong with that!

I only eat the skinless/boneless breasts now but I fry them in a TON of grass fed butter and sop that with it so I definitely don’t have dry. But I don’t do as well on a load of butter in a meal either anymore.

I find like most longer term carnivores we hit beef and never wanna go back.

I remember Bob saying in a post longer ago that he found all of the sudden beef is the meat he has to have. Beef is his craving and more and I find I am right there now also. I was more of a ‘variety’ carnivore for a long time…chicken, beef, pork, tons of bacon, seafood I love…and now I am narrowing down SO tight. But that is a good thing cause it ain’t freaking me out I am not going into a more tight food realm, I feel very comfortable about it and feel great so it is just a path I need to take.

You DO MAKE those thighs sound delish tho!! I remember them fondly :slight_smile: