Another Carnivore Thread

yea we were farmers and I know this feeling ALL SO well and understand point blank what you are feeling on it all :slight_smile:
we were over 400 laying hens for eggs sales, 125 boer goats, angus herd, bred and raised Spotted Saddle Horses, raised and rotated about 125 hogs for sausage and chop sales, over 100 acres in crops and just as much for hay sales and I get it. Leaving this all behind and taking the ‘food out of the consumers’ mouths that WANT so bad this fresh product and humane farming etc.

But for us age hit :slight_smile: We did it many many years, worked real jobs sometimes thru it all and we hit age literally where we had the hard call…our life vs our work/farm life and it came down to quality of life in that we loved the farm life point blank or we never would have done it, to ‘what do we want now’…it was HARD making that ‘what is life now at this age’ and making the things we dreamed to be reality and not tied to a farm. We closed it all down. Sad truly as we mourned it all in that passing but I firmly believe life is in stages and one must follow what one needs for long term. Hubby with back troubles, omg hay making season each may got worse and worse so at some point it all went on that line for us…………but we are probably older than you LOL
Hubby 54 and me 58 and just years of super hard back breaking work and we said done…………cause around here MANY younger ones are tackling the ‘new fresh farm’ products and thriving so we left it to them :slight_smile:

long post but yea I get ya on it all LOL

(Edith) #1466

My husband likes to say, “It’s not the age, it’s the mileage.”

rode hard and put up wet :slight_smile:

But you did it for a (probably long) while, it’s respectable! You did a lot!
I couldn’t even keep hens (well I might try if I had place for them but just a few hens, nothing else. okay, I would need a few dozens for our needs only and it wouldn’t be enough in bad times) and my anchestors were diligent peasants…
It’s not easy to be farmers but they are needed, I really respect them.

I ate my chicken livers, it was nice, something new and now I completely run out of meat. But surviving tomorrow will be easy.

I didn’t play much with the liver, I just fried them. First whole (10 minutes), then sliced (7 minutes). My broth contained some too. I like the taste but it’s a tad dry, I will make liver dumplings in the soup next time instead. But how will I get chicken liver again…? It was the only time I just bought it in a shop.

My SO said his Mom used to fry them in lots of fat (the whole chicken livers were submerged in fat) and they just used it as a “spread” (or slices. something in between) when it got cold and solid. That was fatty enough. Yeah, it’s nice Hungarian mothers cook nice, fatty meals for their kids, usually. His cooked meat all the time, mine made mostly vegetarian dishes but lots of fat was included for sure. What would have happened with my taste if I ate HCLF as a kid? I don’t know but I am quite sure I still would like fat, just like I like some mushrooms, pork, fatty fish and various cheese despite she didn’t buy them (just very rarely those amazing pork ribs - or white bacon, all the time but I dislike that).

So, one more week when I do whatever I can to keep my carbs low and then I really go for a longer (and meatier than ever though the bar is very low) carnivore trial. Well, after 1-2 days with goulash, that’s a must :slight_smile: Proper, beef goulash made at home, it will be the first for us! It would take forever outside so it will be the pressure cooker again. Nice tool.

My SO didn’t eat his livers and he is a blood plasma donor and tomorrow he needs to eat not fatty so I get half of it. Yay!
First I was shocked, how on earth could I cook without lots of fat? It’s so out of my skill set. But my whipped egg white/cheese dish should be fine with the usual few-minutes work carby staples. So he always eats that before the donor thing. He is still excited when I make it (it IS a nice dish) but he’s the type who can eat the same dish every week. Sometimes every day. Twice. I doubt I ever will get bored of it myself and it’s perfect for me too, on any diet I ever did. It would be so sad if we couldn’t eat the same dish quite often. But I make sure it never will be the case.

(bulkbiker) #1470

I usually cook mine for about 3 minutes per side…not surprising they were a bit dry… ?

They badly needed that time, actually, some more would have been a bit better, they barely started to get some nice color. I think I’ve read 30 seconds on either side in another topic, well, after 5 minutes, they were gross and definitely too raw, even the tiny piece I tasted. But time means little, there are other factors and they change the necessary time, aren’t they…?

I was okay with the liquid content. I meant they are dry, not fatty. I need my food way fattier and livers stay too lean even fried in fat. So I poured very fatty fried onions on them. I can’t do carnivore now but I allow onions in tiny amounts anyway, it’s my spice/condiment. All my memories about liver contains fried onions and potatoes, onions being more important, fortunately, though still not needed. I mostly added them to add fat, pure fat sounded a bit bad to me at the moment as the liver was warm and I don’t like much liquid rendered fat.
I wonder about onions lately… I can live without them but they are very, very good and suit most meat. And a tiny amount is enough (even ideal as onions are sweet and it just gets worse as time passes). So I keep them but sometimes it’s hard to decide if I should add some. So I rarely use them now.

(bulkbiker) #1472

How hot were you going with them?

I don’t remember, actually… I wouldn’t know the temperature anyway, just that 800 watt or 650 or whatever. And there was little fat. But I am pleased with the result, it just needs more fat. I will make pâté next time. But it was nice, just not fatty. Lean meat is like that. It’s still way better than chicken breast or swordfish :smiley: And it has way better taste than those. According to my own taste, of course.

But if it’s not completely brown, I don’t eat it anyway. I am similar with steak (though I still didn’t try some professionally made one), last time I decided well-done is way too raw to me. I need to precook the meat first, I liked those, the slices were super thin and we fried them for long enough. They weren’t chewy so they comforted me after the not so good attempts. I will experiment more but I really like most of my meat very very thoroughly cooked (or fried but it doesn’t work with not tender meat, probably).

(Katie) #1474

It is not good to drink around food (before, during, after) because it dilutes stomach acid, which disrupts digestion.

I’m almost ready to start ‘farming’. Except for accidentally getting a full time job, everything was going to plan. We moved in steps to our rural 3 acres. Built the shed. Got the off grid systems. Built the tiny house that is being connected up to the off grid systems. Got rid of all debt. Planted the early stages of the food forest. Some more infrastructure is needed for some hens and a greenhouse to extend the permaculture food production. Then I can plan the aquaculture system to farm fish and some freshwater crustaceans. I think about hunting kangaroos for meat. We might be able to get a few sheep. Goats seem a bit too smart. Maybe it’s not really farming. It’s more like gardening. I link to think of regenerative agriculture as upscale Earth gardening.

I was writing and thinking and I think I will be panicking at some point. I don’t feel I am in control. I just wanted to try things hoping it will bring some positive results, I bounce back and will be more free from my little food addictions but I can’t go back at all. Probably many people would be totally happy to get such a big help from their body and mind to stay away from almost every food but I am not those people. I kinda want two or more different things at once. Or almost. My fully conscious, half-conscious (?) mind and my body aren’t in sync all the time. About food, I mean.

Well, I guess I will survive somehow. I am really not the panicking type.
:slight_smile:

It could be worse, I could be totally allergic to carbs, I would feel trapped then, life at hardcore level. Don’t you feel that if you have something you totally must avoid forever (or suffer dire consequences)?
I never was allergic/too sensitive to any food, I just made some decisions about what to eat. Those are sometimes a bit tiresome too. Maybe it’s my food addiction, in general, maybe my freedom addiction related to food.

Whatever, I am too sleepy now even to think properly. Goodnight!

(Maybe these thoughts are fueled by carbs too. I need to think about these later when I go low enough. I think I can make a proper day tomorrow.)

(What else is there to talk about?) #1477

Sounds like a dream come true!

(Ashley) #1478

A tiny house? I’d love to see if your willing? I’m in love with tiny houses!

How did you go off grid? Do you produce your own electricity?

No mains power nor water. Photovoltaic panels on the shed and battery storage. All water is rain water. 2 composting toilets and re-use grey water for landscape watering. Just need to work out the food part.

Wow, that must be a great change…how come you decided to go off grid?

@FrankoBear

What Ashley said, lol.

(Scott) #1483

I have a tiny woodshop so I can say I will never do a tiny house.

(What else is there to talk about?) #1484

Can I third this?

No pressure @FrankoBear :joy: