Another Carnivore Thread

(Jane Srygley) #1505

I found that in my area too! I’m sure I posted it somewhere else but here it is again: https://www.springmountainfarms.com/

(Jane Srygley) #1506

Is anyone else fond of bison meat? I just tried it a few months ago and am OBSESSED with bison bacon. I am still eating my 4 chicken drumsticks every weekday and not losing my taste for it at all, but I’m a very new Tier 1 Carnivore so maybe I will one day be a ruminants-only person. I kind of hope not because of the expense… but as much as I love beef, I am crazy about bison, and I love that it’s an animal that has not been genetically altered from its wild state. I am trying to get as close to ancestral eating as often as possible and I feel like that’s a good way to go.

Bison tho is doing some genetic changes and crossed some with cow to make meat more marbled etc. but MANY farms do not do this but it is best to be aware of what farm practice you buy from is doing.

Girl you eat your chicken as much as you like!!! Carnivores eat what they love and can afford any and all times. Our tastes will change but ALL at diff. levels of our years on plan so any good meat/seafood ya love you have at it!

Ancestral eating. Yea I see that. I also know tho even the soil that grass grows in now is not that soil of long ago so we can’t ‘get there’ ya know in full truths of what it was ‘way way way back’ then, with soil contaminents and pollutants in the air and more so I applaud you for going that path if you feel that need. Great way to go!! Any positive changes vs. the crap horrible food out there being offered as a food source is an absolute must for great health and you are finding your way. Love it!

Lucky. I get my beef on Friday and even though it’s my least fav meat this far (if we don’t consider very lean meat but I don’t eat those), I’m looking forward to it after the last weeks with miserably little meat.
We couldn’t buy fish so I only have some smoked pork now and I do my “every second day is carnivore” style this week.
I am sure we will be more successful with cooking beef this time, not like the last (first) time was bad but there is huge room for improvement and some attempts were too chewy.

We probably will get a freezer! An old one so if it uses too much energy, it won’t happen but let’s hope for the best. It’s a small freezer but still way bigger than the one that is part of my fridge and the latter still contains a lot of fruits and even some vegetables, egg whites, cooked meal so little room for meat, it’s good fatty meat is nicely dense but I could use more room.

Fangs, don’t worry, me and my SO were vegetarians and then almost vegetarians for long and we still talk about cooking the cats in an apocalypse sometimes… It’s mostly joking and we really hope it won’t happen, it would be the last resort but we do value our life over the cats’ and a quick death doesn’t seem amoral to us in a dire situation. They are our friends but not our family, they are outside cats happen to live and eat here (among other places).
(As far as I know, carnivore mammals aren’t tasty but it would be about survival. It’s meat, it’s edible and give energy and nutrients. Very little so I prefer the funny little critters alive…)

My humor totally includes humans too but I actually have limits. And I deleted a paragraph again. I am too shy still. Or rather emphatic, some people doesn’t like talk about cannibalism.

As far as I know, all protein satiates me, chicken included. It’s just some soft, not that real meat or how should I explain it. Fish is similar, too soft, not that substantial somehow…?
And I always had problems with lean meat. I don’t dislike fowl but even the famously great pheasant is meh to me. Its soup is nice but that’s it. But wild meat is too lean, I only like deer (but I didn’t try everything. I wonder how mouflon tastes like…)
I still want to buy a rooster for variety and because I would have more meat then…

I am choosy with seafood and as it’s expensive, I eat close to none. But I can’t imagine eating seafood for a meal as a main dish. It’s just some extra, maybe some “spice” in an omelet or a snack.

Pork would be probably my forever favorite, I just need to figure out how to get some, not smoked.

Yes, crispy chicken skin is amazing!!! I am fine without chicken meat but that skin is wonderful…
I prefer thighs only but everything is okay in a soup but breasts. I always disliked breasts, horribly dry and tasteless to me (it’s edible if a talented cook makes them and we always can mix boring meat with eggs or tasty fat or something but I don’t even try, I simply buy something different, way better and way cheaper. my SO will eat the breast if we buy a whole chicken or something, he loves lean meat). Rabbits are the same, I don’t eat that part.

We like bison burgers, and when I was regular keto I loved bison Chorizo sausage! I bought a bison chuck roast that I’'m hoping to fix soon. So yes, hubby and I like our bison meat.

Boy my meat sales around me now are cruddy.

I got 1 store putting ribeyes at 7.99, which is GOOD from the reg. price but I still want lower LOL

I will grab some and freeze but still waiting for that ‘holiday pricing’ type drop down to at least 5.99/lb and will grab the heck out of them and fill my freezer.

I am noticing the sale beef prices are not as good as before. I fear the ‘lower’ sale prices aren’t gonna be ‘that much lower’ ya know. Just trying to protect my wallet where I can LOL

but hey no Dr. visits cause my health is so great is a big plus, would rather give my money to support the meat industry and buy good meat than give it to a doc for medical troubles…so…

just irked at the stores right now and venting. hey my meat buys are SUPER important to me. Not a game at all, it isn’t, well I can eat something else? you know, like bread or crap :slight_smile: and being a longer term carnivore, my eating list of what I truly love is getting very narrow now. I mean I want what I want on my plate. Just shut up, pay the price and eat I guess HAHA

Ya might find some good prices on steaks in particular…after Valentine’s Day. I noticed our local grocer does that. They get a whole bunch of steaks- cut in the shape of hearts - and those leftover from Vday are put on sale the next day (or really late in the night on the 14th)

As for bison meat - YES!!! In fact, 18 years ago when we were moving up north, hubby and I had a long discussion about whether to raise bison or beef cattle. We visited a bison ranch about an hour away from our old house- just to check out his operation and ask questions. Super nice guy, very encouraging - but he cautioned us about the bison’s behavior, and agility. A bison can clear a 6-7’ fence from a standing position. He wouldn’t have believed it himself, but one of his did. The bugger ran all over the town. Not sure how he got it back in the fencing, either. (They will also line up, and stampede a human for no apparent reason.) So, he has a massive, 8’ fence surrounding his paddocks. Cattle can clear 5’ fencing, and are a bit more friendly, so we went with cattle. (And yes, I’ve watched them jump it. Bison meat is a tasty treat, and around here- it costs a little more than beef, but not outrageous.

Yeah. I eat a lot of chuck roast and it’s gone up. Ribeyes are a treat for me so, while I keep my eye out for sales, it’s not generally on my list. The Pig had shoulder roast on sale recently for $2.98lb so I grabbed a few of those.
I eat chuck roast like steak, just cook it in the air fryer.
I like this website for catching sales https://www.mygrocerydeals.com/

Ahh, SB that is a good thought. Heck I forgot Val. Day LOL thanks for reminding me :slight_smile:

we thought of farming bison also but there is a big bison farm not too far from here so we thought competition wouldn’t be that great and we know everyone wants the angus so we went with those.

Bob, air fryer? hmm, heard of them but never used them.
chuck in an air fryer. I am gonna go check that cook style out on the web out of curiousity. omg tho I hate kitchen gadgets and I got the slow cooker and my dutch oven thing, now do I want another thing? You cook anything else in it? Thanks for that link, will check it out for sure.

Butcher shop in Columbia lost my business yesterday.
I stopped in and asked for beef fat trimmings. Guy wanted to charge me $3. 99lb! When I called him on it he said they used all their trimmings so that’s why they’re expensive. When I mentioned that this is where I used to buy my trimmings much cheaper he had no answer. Everyone there was an unfamiliar face. Not long ago one of the guys told me they kept lots of trimmings in the freezer so someone was full of :poop:! :rage:

I use the air fryer and pressure cooker a lot. The fryer I have also has rotisserie, dehydrate, and bake functions. Mostly meat but have also made banana and apple chips for kids in it.

cool I am gonna check it out for doing the meats. air fryer does interest me so I am gonna roam and research a bit on that, thanks

(Edith) #1518

I think trimmings are becoming more expensive because the demand for them is going up thanks to keto popularity.

(Edith) #1519

I made a pot roast in my instant pot. It was delicious!

I haven’t had breakfast, yet. I’d better stop talking about food.

@barefootbob …Never thought of doing beef in the air fryer!!! That’s brilliant! Pressure cooker, yes - quite often. …but wow. Air fryer. What a cool idea!

I use the chuck roast like a steak also. Unfortunately, I think we may have sold all of those. Darn. I’m gonna go dig a ribeye out of the freezer, and try doing it in the airfryer- after I finish this fast. Thank you for that most awesome idea!!! :smiley:

This is the one I have. I also like that the cooking surface is not Teflon. I had a regular basket style air fryer a while back but the coating started flaking off very quickly.

Affordable staple meat is 2/lbs for me :D (It's a different continent and currency but still.) It's beef (the cheapest cuts) from the farm. It's still not really cheap for the poor me (I could buy chicken thighs for .6 but I have huge moral and taste problems with that) and anyway, I am not used to eating much meat so I keep using lots of eggs too (twice as much as the chicken but I counted a lot lately so I know it’s $1.4-$1.5 for a dozen and it’s the best I can buy).
Well, cheese is the super expensive ingredient (and butter so we barely use it) but I use them in small amounts and we buy cheaper but still good ones like slightly aged gouda.
But I will have a meat only day again, before ZornFast :slight_smile: I don’t dare to do 2, I imagine I would miss my precious eggs :smiley: My stubborn belief is that meat is the best for perfect and long lasting satiation. I will make experiments…
We go to bring home our ordered beef in 2 days!!! I am pretty excited as I had no proper meat since ages and have lots of ideas for it.
Sorry if I wrote these before, I don’t remember. I just remember waiting for my beef since too long.
How much smoked pork is healthy for me, I wonder… I have lots now and ham is still the greatest thing ever to me but I always used it in tiny amounts. It’s not proper, fresh meat, I eat it very differently. Too salty too, it’s fine when I make broth or when we use it together with some normal meat but that’s it. Sometimes I eat them with egg whites but usually alone, salt or not salt. Maybe I will add vegetables later, it’s not like they cause any problems to me in tiny amounts like a few slices of radish or something… But if I don’t desire the vegetables, I don’t want to add them. Maybe a little precooking will be involved, I love soups and warm drinks anyway… The soup will need more meat than usual but I get them out earlier, tastier and fry them. Yep, it sounds the best. I never had enough broth this far anyway :smiley:

Trimmings from the farm cost $0.15/lbs (cheapest food item ever), too bad I have don’t even any idea how they look like as they are sold immediately… No wonder. They sell it as “meat for dogs”. Of course, it’s way, way cheaper than any dog/cat food so it’s definitely a great buy, I have cats and they surely eat them if the trimmings aren’t good enough for me (but I am not very choosy, I even eat tallow and it’s probably pretty odd for most people. not for carnivores, obviously but people give them to chickadees or make soap with it here. my SO obviously considers it some foul substance but he dislikes the great lard too so his taste is pretty bad :D).

I really need the beef now. I tried “every second day is carnivore” and the lack of proper meat doesn’t matter, my carnivore days are great! My other days are sometimes okay but quite tragic lately (only negative effects, it doesn’t even feel good to eat more freely and the hunger is definitely annoying). I am worse than before. Oh well, I will have some nicer weeks and then I restart my experiments and will be more careful :slight_smile:

I like cooking ribs in it, too. A good method is to cook the ribs in the pressure cooker then pop into the air fryer to get the outer texture right.

Oh nice! I wasn’t too sure about the whole idea, so I just picked up a clearance Toastmaster at Menards to try it out. The one you have is waaayyy more advanced. I guess, I can always give mine to one of the kids, and get a better one with the various features for myself. I hadn’t checked first, but the Toastmaster does have the teflon surface- no issues yet with it flaking. (keeping fingers crossed!)

On another note, I just pulled a giant brisket from the freezer. Double Bday party Friday night, (one for a friend, one for Rufus), so a brisket is a perfect way to celebrate. Its just shy of 6 pounds…and oh, so lovely. Can’t wait!