Another Carnivore Thread

We are almost on the same circle of latitude. Yep, that isn’t the only important factor but it’s still interesting to think about. We almost never have snow and usually only a little, well we are close to sea level and that’s just one other factor…

I had no chance until I desired vegetables… I don’t eat them because I don’t desire them. How it started I wonder…

I assure you I am too easy on myself (regarding certain things, at least. I was a perfectionist before not like I ever was nearly good enough for my own standards). I mess up life in general, quite epically and I still have some of my confidence and don’t hate myself at all, I never could, birth defect or something. I am a bit like a cat, I think I deserve things because I exist.
Diet wise… I mess it up too much and in a way where I feel I lose control (not completely, I just decide I don’t care, I even know the consequences) and it’s SCARY, it’s not the normal me, I don’t want it and it’s not good physically and mentally. I never have quilt, that’s not my style but I am still displeased sometimes.
It’s not as serious as in the case of some people who touches carbs and lots of time passes and they possibly gain back 30 pounds until they manage to come back, no, I come back very soon, the less subtle I was, the sooner but still, I can be quite crazy for a day, even without a very good reason. I have very few but very strong trigger foods even after several years on low-carb. Most of them are only strong if I am weak at the same time but this combination happened not long ago and the food wasn’t even amazing just nice and I even had my own similar food with me, it was too much, I could’t wrap my mind around it.
I need to lose those triggers, it’s abnormal to have them if it’s me. Others may have and avoid them, not me. I want to be free.

I am usually good now. I decide to eat some maybe not ideal but mostly harmless food, my rebel self dislike being strict for long and my hedonist self is fine with some looseness as long as I feel right even afterwards - and I can’t because I don’t desire it. Or just a tiny bit. It’s great. I am very far from the people who feels they NEED to eat just about everything now. I came a long way.

(Ashley) #623

Had a feeling you were Michigan, I’m lower Michigan and I know upper gets a crap ton more snow, I wouldn’t mind it around Christmas time, but I’m fine with me 6-10 inches usually :slight_smile:

(Edith) #624

So, after waking with puffy fingers this morning, I am going to slowly cut back on my salt supplementation and see what happens. I’m hoping I don’t need to supplement as much on carnivore. I’m also going to decrease my Mg slightly. Maybe with no oxalates in my diet, I don’t need as much of that any more either. Maybe that with help with some BM consistency I’ve been having. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

wondering. Is this just eating some salt in your day or are you taking some kind of extra ‘supp’ thing here? just curious.

In general, Carnivore means no supps or vitamin anything unless ordered by a Dr for medical conditions.

I know I cut all out when I hit carnivore. I just salt food to taste as I want. Very personal tho on how a person has med issues and more, how long they might feel they need a supp and more but most times, carnivore shows us they way if we just let it.

BM consistency LOL it is usually about the fat. cut back a bit on fat if needed or add a bit more fat if having troubles not wanting to come out more easy :slight_smile: :slight_smile: That always geared me in that dept. I found my good area now for a long time, but if I got too much added fat or not enough and go lean I can swing either way a bit.

For the last couple of weeks I’ve not been salting anything. Feel great.

But, I should add the caveat; I am strict carnivore right now and eat nothing but animal products. No dairy, no “cheats”, no artificial sweeteners. The only plant matter that has crossed my lips lately has been the spices in some liverwurst that I got from US Wellness Meats (high quality stuff), and I eat predominately beef. Eggs and pork belly are a side show to the main.

Oh, and decaf coffee so I guess there’s that. :laughing:

(Edith) #627

I needed the supplements on keto: salt, potassium, and Mg. I’ve kept them up on carnivore, but I would like to see if I don’t need them. I am going to ween myself as if I’m trying to quit caffeine and see what happens.

I added gobs of salt when I was keto. Some of that may have been an overreaction to having restricted salt for so long believing the current medical myths about it. So far not adding extra salt has not seemed to have any ill effects but I’m keeping an eye out. I came to the conclusion to try not salting after reading what Stephansson had to say about it but also some long time carnivores.
It’s an experiment, like pretty much everything else we’re doing here.
Good luck with the caffeine. I still have some decaf because I enjoy the taste of black coffee but it’s nice having the caffeine monkey off my back.

My added salt intake is negligible now but I still add some to my eggs. And I have salty smoked pork and cheese but it’s not very much. I always refused to supplement salt and never felt the need on any diet. I only supplement magnesium as I have to on keto, at least without a significant amount of meat, no idea about potassium but it never caused a problem.
I still have my simple keto days of course but now around 20g or lower! It’s a big thing for me, I never was this low except for a carefully planned day (my personal ketosis carb limit must be somewhere around 45g, I am lucky. but carb intake matters a lot to me, it’s not just about ketosis). Even after I skipped vegetables, I used other plants but that tapered down nicely and quickly. And it’s because of this topic and my personal interest.

I deleted the passionate paragraphs about my changing and partially not changing relationships with fruits. This time is special, advent and citruses always were an item for me. They smell nice. Not like my few mandarins have much chance now, the house totally smells like apples as we have quite many. It’s pleasant. Smells are important for me.

(Edith) #630

Sorry, I just used caffeine as an analogy for quitting the salt.

I quit caffeine over a year ago. I use it occasionally for driving on long trips. I love being caffeine free. I truly believe our “need” for caffeine is withdrawal talking.

Yes, sorry I misunderstood I was probably trying to read and listen to a kid at the same time. :smile:
The sleep improvements that I got from this were what prompted me to kick the caffeine habit.

I had to keep my salt intake up with keto or I’d get leg cramps. So far, I’m having to do the same with carnivore. Let us know how you do with your decrease in salt. :slight_smile:

(Edith) #633

Yes, lack of salt on keto also gave me cramps in
my calves. It I was really low, my hamstrings would cramp. That is terrible!

weird but I never had leg cramps from my start of LC into extreme lc and into carnivore

I mean I had a few thru the years but so slight it never bothered me and I did take some magnesium years back for it. quit that pretty fast tho.

but then again, my whole life I have been a super salter…now with what bob has said and more chat here with ya’ll I think a reduction in my salt should be a smart way to go.

after all carnivore says don’t do more than one truly ever needs in their menu…my big salt lick fix should be reduced LOL I will work on it.

This is just experimental with me, your mileage may vary.

Just a thought, but with all of the controversy that keeps popping up on the ZC threads… how would the keto folks respond if a newbie showed up on those threads insisting that they eat whole grains or potatoes to avoid some disease? If after gently providing info that the newcomers assumptions were in fact wrong, said newcomer insisted that grains were vital, or attacked the others for being “obnoxious” or some such?

That would kinda suck, wouldn’t it? Yeah, it does.

Yeah, that was kinda whiny of me wasn’t it… hahaha… suck it up Bob and move on!

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #637

Well, it’s happened plenty of times or people who try it throw in the towel and proceed to tell everyone how they’re killing themselves with zero carbs. Here’s what happens: people site their references, share their experience, practice civil discourse, pass the comments by altogether or lose it and get a ding from admin. Worst case scenario, the thread is locked.

I wasn’t always admin, I’ve been in trouble for losing my temper when I first joined the forum and have received warnings. I get where you guys are coming from but you are a sub category of the ketogenic forum and people are going to challenge you. The keto vegetarians/vegans experience the same thing, people telling them they have to eat animal products. Some are curious, some think it’s bonkers, people are going to ask questions.

The bottom line is that everyone has an opinion. If you want to do carnivore woe without interference it might be more prudent to be on a strictly carnivore forum or website. This is not suggesting I want any of you to leave, I don’t!, but you’re in mixed company here.

I totally get that and I don’t mind being challenged. Tired of the insults, though. It’s childish and helps no one. I guess part of my issue is the “keyboard warrior” mentality that people assume it’s ok to be an ass online.

Hey, it’s the first time I think I’ve seen you here. :smile:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #639

LOL, I’m here often, just don’t have anything to say usually. I read most of the threads on the forum, it’s interesting and helps me to get to know people.

If someone is insulting you, please flag it, it will be dealt with. I like ignoring people. I find it rewarding and infuriating for the person trying to cause trouble. Plus, you can’t get into trouble that way! :grinning:

Very true! :slight_smile: I tend to do that in real life, too.
I have a few people around here I ignore by default.

Thanks for responding and not taking my grumbling the wrong way. I’ve been enjoying the forums for a couple of years and yeah, I’ve seen some doozies on the other threads, too, so it’s not just carnivore. I guess with the sudden spotlight put on it more people are looking harder at it.