Another Carnivore Thread

I want to try lamb. It’s not that hard to get, lots of people raises sheep, I even know sources but it’s a tad far away for me now. Not very far but I am content with what I can have around here for now.
I barely ate any kind of meat until now (then I realized there is some cute list but considering the possibilities, different parts of animals, it’s barely anything). The father of my SO ate even dog and monkey meat if I remember correctly, he had some traveller friend or something… My SO visited China and he ate eel but nothing more interesting.
I never ever tried ostrich and it is a popular newer trend in Hungary. It would be interesting to eat an ostrich egg. Not all by myself, it’s a tad big for me in one sitting.
I ate kangaroo steak but it was meh. Not surprising, too lean for me but there are other factors, maybe it can be made better?
I ate chicken, duck, once turkey, pheasant, no idea about goose, I don’t remember if that happened… I liked frog legs (it was just like some tasty chicken) and disliked snail and squid and clams are boring too, at least the ones I tried. Shrimp is nice but not very interesting. Octopus is very good (what is it with smart animals and me liking their taste?) and I loved most raw fish in Japanese restaurants I tried. But I typically only like fatty fish. Swordfish is dry and bitter to me but my SO obviously liked it, it’s lean, after all (he ordered it when I ordered my octopus with vinegar so we both were very pleased).
I ate wild boar and very very good deer as well, there are plenty around here. And the basics, pork and beef, obviously, just very rarely and only a few parts. Except… Oh I learn about new English words, it’s brawn or head cheese, it seems. But that’s not what I ate according to the pictures and recipes I’ve found, we don’t add all those veggies but often add some extra nice fatty meat and tons of red pepper, of course, we are Hungarians who can blow keto carb limits with spices if we really try! Some people are disgusted with this food but they are disgusted with blood too, oddballs. I wouldn’t eat just like any animal parts either but the list is probably short. If it’s tasty, not toxic (and there are some other conditions but nothing special), I am probably willing to eat it, what if it’s a nose of a pig? It’s cleaned and cooked and fun and surrounded by meat! And it has only spice as plants (garlic too but it’s spice and the food wouldn’t be the same without it), not like it matters to me, ha! It’s good food if made right and I didn’t eat it since forever. Quite a few years, I think.
We visit my SO’s mom (almost my mother, really) tomorrow again, I can get some from the place where my pretty great chuck came from (I have about 30g left, maybe we should buy some pork shank now). But it costs as much as proper meat and I can’t know if it was made to my liking. But it’s usually very very very good and fun. Why do I do this to myself, I get hungry but I don’t start to eat at 1am, it’s not a good idea and I am not really hungry anyway, it’s so good I can feel that.

That’s about me and meat in my past, I really don’t have much experiences but I had some tasty and memorable encounters and it’s nice to remember them. Oh once our neighbours decided to give us some of the best pork ever right after I went vegetarian. I was very determined and lasted for 3 whole days (I normally don’t resist temptation for 3 minutes). Well, 3 mere days couldn’t ruin the pork. But they didn’t do it again so it was too easy afterwards. Such good meat is hard to find and it avoided me when I had not much determination in my long almost vegetarian years so I mostly ate meat at relatives and in restaurants, it was often tasty (I didn’t even attempt to eat probably bland meat) but rarely amazing. That’s what I’m changing now.

My using of English tenses are bad I know, I’m sorry, it’s my weakness grammar wise but it’s understandable that way too. Modern Hungarian language has only one past tense and it’s enough, it has one present and the future tense is rarely used, present is fine for that too if we say when so it’s clear (or we don’t say it but it’s still clear). Maybe that’s why it’s harder for me in English without thinking about it for some time and I need to revisit the whole thing I guess (I really need to do that soon). But apart from that, English is easy, I learned German too, it was easy enough but gender of words, it’s crazy (especially when it’s different from the biological gender). Not like my language wouldn’t be quite hard to learn, it’s famously so, even way too many Hungarians are bad at it, often quite horribly.

Your English is just fine!
Many people here are terrible English speakers… and they grew up with the language.
Lamb is great. Over here it’s much more expensive than beef so I don’t eat it often.
I love to cook a leg of lamb for Easter.

German is the only other language that I studied but without having any real opportunity to use it, the knowledge beyond basic greetings pretty much faded away.
I did try a little Spanish, it’s a handy language to know here, but I just didn’t like the language.

Both films get 2 stars each, I think. I watched Game Changers and this debunking film (it doesn’t augur well for Brian’s Food Lies documentary).

Chris Kresser on Joe Rogan did a good job of clarifying the vegan agenda motives in Game Changers. Again, just my opinion.

I listened to Dr Saladino’s episode debunking Game Changers, I’ll probably watch this in bits and pieces over the long weekend. I did the veg thing for a couple of years so I don’t need any convincing that it’s bull**** and not conducive to health.

Same. liquid beef fat and solid fat from burger…I hate it.
I won’t touch it. I actually buy leaner hamburger so as to not get that fat. I can’t stomach it. One reason you don’t see me living off burger like a lot of people do. I buy like 85/15 or 93/7 for my meats. I buy like 80/20 for family to eat cause that fat adds flavor to their burgers. Fat which I actually don’t enjoy. I find my lean burger suits me so well.

Now big globular fat on a ribeye I can suck down and thrive.
Big old hunks of pork fat off a roast or ribs, I eat it up.

I know the liquid beef fat doesn’t set well with many a carnivore. A lot of people avoid it.

(Edith) #486

Well, I purposely went off the rails yesterday for Thanksgiving. It is my favorite holiday. The only expectations are a good meal and time with family if possible. I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Today my resting pulse rate is many beats higher than usual, and I am four pounds heavier. Good thing Thanksgiving is only once a year. :blush:

I am fasting until dinner and then back to meat.

I don’t have that in me to do that.

Plus I am a super carb sensitive. I do that and I suffer rough and only all bad things would come from it.

Amazing you can do it and get back on track so easily. I never found one easy thing about getting back on my plan once those carbs take control. LOL

Happy you enjoyed yourself and had a great time with family!

No going off the rails here. I feel the best I have in years. I did have some red wine last night but not too much, I actually don’t like it near as much as I used to.
Got in just shy of 7 miles this morning, some walking in there but it was a good outing. The sun is out, it’s cool but not cold.
Haven’t eaten yet. I cooked about 2.5lbs of ground beef yesterday that’s in the fridge and have some stew meat also. Not sure which I’ll have after I get cleaned up. Probably going to hit the local Piggly Wiggly (yes, that’s a store here) and see if they have any meat deals.
Also, about to put some beef fat in the oven at 170F. I like to cook it slow like Ilana Rose but right before I’m ready to eat it I put it under the broiler for a little bit to get a nice texture to it.

being Southern I know Piggy Wiggly.

I always think of driving Miss Daisy cause she always went to the Piggly Wiggly LOL

I have to hit the road soon. I got some chicken breast cooking to eat to be sure I don’t get super hungry out there when away from my kitchen. When home I will have a steak in my sights today later.

Being on plan feels so much better than ever going off. I won’t do it either cause I know the crappy feeling, like you bob, feeling this good isn’t worth ever giving up.

Drive safe!

Had a thought about another discussion on another thread. I didn’t want to start an argument so putting the thought here. Some folks swear by MCT oil and/or coconut oil. Some people, like me, have stomach issues with those things. The advice given is to build yourself up to it. Yes, there may be benefits to using these things but my opinion is that if my body has to build up a tolerance then that is because my body sees it as a toxic substance to be eliminated quickly. So, there’s my opinion on MCT especially, but in my case coconut oil as well.

you said it right there.

plus that stuff is never needed if one is eating good fats from meat :slight_smile:

and I so understand. If you type that out on the other thread that is not ‘safely nestled’ in this carnivore category area…you do really have a chance of starting a war in that there are many that love that crap to death. ugh. Like snake oil LOL, you can sell people anything to part them from their money if you sing the praises enough. Sell them on nutritional info also.

It does help some people… I’m not one of them.

help?
hmmm, I wonder truly.

change your eating and then add that stuff I swear how does one know it is a miracle cure thing for them?

plus if they never went to a true elimination menu, how does one know truly what works or doesn’t in a way?

just questions that I always think. I did low carb, like 25 net carb lifestyle long ago, and I could ingest a lot of things and swear they were fab…til I ditched it all and realized when you add it back, it makes ya worse than ya think. But it is a path I walked. Others will have to do their own journey as they see fit.

I’m being positive about it. Not everyone can do what we do, nor should everyone try.

oh I agree. Not everyone can do total elimination menu and thrive.

but you are right, some will think it is wonderful.
like snake oil has mental benefits tied to them I think LOL
but yea some swear it is great…I just best leave it at that even tho I don’t think so in the long run of it all :slight_smile: :slight_smile: cause I could start something here and I don’t want to LOL, any others reading our thread and deciding to jump in and fight it out HAHA

No, I agree we don’t know about long term use, just like we don’t know what’s going to happen to those folks who gulp down the artificial ketone stuff.

I’ll just stick with meat. Like the shirt says:

yea MCT is what, palm or coconut oil and man when ya read up on the side effects and how most of it has been manufactured in poor conditions and contains bad junk in it and more…it is one of those things that is a crapshoot if you are even getting quality or not.

for me personally, I wouldn’t even cook with palm oil or coconut LOL let alone tablespoon that junk directly into me.

OMG TOO COOL OF A PICTURE
You are smiling so big and I love it…thanks for sharing it!

I love Tshirt. You are looking great on carnivore!!!

Pig trip was a good one, picked up a couple of shoulder steaks but also got almost 11lbs of beef fat trimmings for $.60 per lb. :+1:

(Edith) #500

Nice.